When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

WiFi Wi-Fi piggyback a big city?

Defender110

I'm not sure exactly what your question is.

If you are asking about wireless Internet access off of someone else's Internet router and account (such as a neighbor or someone you don't know), I've done it in a number of places. It is getting harder to find unsecured access points, though. And just as people with open Internet access points leave themselves vulnerable to potential intruders, you can leave yourself open to potential vulnerabilities by using unprotected access points. Proceed with care.

The only tool you really need is a wireless card, which is built into most current laptops.

A better solution is to use my HTC Tilt cell phone as a modem for my laptop. Some other phones offer this capability as well. This is a very slick solution for travellers, especially as hotels try to stick people for $10-$15 per day charges for using wireless access within their hotel rooms.

wifi hacking...

have you ever piggybacked a neighbors access point.. not an open access point which is done practically automatically but antennas now, but a secure wifi router?

Keyword being secure... Nope... can't be done if it's truly secure...

Keyword being secure... Nope... can't be done if it's truly secure...

Ha!

WiFi itself isn't secure. The only way to have truly secure is a VPN connection to the wired LAN.

WEP can be broken in minutes. WPA takes a little longer.

You bet it can be done! I actually changed my neighbour's Wifi SSID name last year cause he had [censored] me off. Poor fella must've tried find his network... :-). Ultimately he re-set the router (I am assuming) as the network disappeared.

The only truly secure network is the one that's turned off and unplugged.

And then locked in a cage. With a tiger. :p

I'm very grateful to my neighbours and their unsecured networks. We had a power cut recently that put out one side of the street. Laptop battery, unsecured Wi-Fi down the street - aaaah, back on RWG within minutes :D

Ha!

WiFi itself isn't secure. The only way to have truly secure is a VPN connection to the wired LAN.

WEP can be broken in minutes. WPA takes a little longer.

Well, if you lived nearby, I'd buy you the gen of your choice if you could crack my wireless ;)

Well, if you lived nearby, I'd buy you the gen of your choice if you could crack my wireless ;)

I'd take that challenge.

I presume the challenge would be to just get the key, not to get on your network. If you're running a VPN server over WiFi, you've got security. If not, you're hackable.

If you came to my neighbourhood, you'd not crack mine because I practice the tiger evasion method of security.

Knowing a few people who work in electronic warfare field both civilian and military, nothing is safe, not your phone not, your computer not your pda, even if it has no conection to the web as long as it is pluged in to a power source or has a power source and is running it is vunerable to eavesdropping by a number of sources, there are lenths you can go to such as using a shielded power source and a faraday cage in an isolated suspended area within another isolated area ala some rooms in high military establishments. BTW it is possible to get in to a wirless network from up to 15km away using a pringles tube as a parabolic antenna

WEP can be hacked by mere script kiddies in under 5 min., WPA is a bit harder but can be done by someone who KNOWS what they are doing. No offense but if you are asking how to do it you don't know enough to do it.

I use WPA2 with a 60 character password made up of all printable characters. I also do not broadcast my SSID so someone would have to have a bit more equipment than a laptop with a wireless card in it to find it.