When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Porsche Design Flat 6 Automatic Chronograph Review

takashi

Preface

My apology for the black out last week. I have been pretty busy with my school stuff and my semester is coming to an end pretty soon.

Anyway, this week's review is on Porsche Design Flat 6 Automatic Chronograph.

About the watch

This watch is one of the latest offering from Porsche Design watch. The genuine is designed by FA Porsche and is manufactured by Eterna Watch. This watch carries an unmistakable design. It can be proven that such design with hidden integrated chronograph pushers exists dating back to the period when Porsche Design worked together with IWC (late 70s to early 90s). The first thing I notice about this watch is its similarity with IWC Porsche Design Chronograph. This watch looks bigger, beefier and thicker than its predecessor (from IWC).

The replica:

This is touted to be one of the modern "super reps" with very minimal number of flaws. I will elaborate more on this point.

Modification: None.

Technical Details on the Replica:

Watch name: Porsche Design Flat 6 Automatic Chronograph

Diameter: ~43mm excluding crown

Movement: Asian 7750 28,800 bph 6-9-12 layout

Case: Stainless Steel brushed, see thru caseback brushed stainless steel

Dial: dark grey, polished luminous markers in stainless steel colour and silver subdial colour

Hands: Polished stainless steel, luminous hour and minute hands, black subdial hands with red tip with silver coloured chronograph running second hand

Crown: Stainless Steel brushed screw down

Crystal: Sapphire with single sided AR coating

Bezel: Polished + brushed Stainless Steel

Straps: Rubber, cut to resize.

Clasp: Double deployant buckle, polished and brushed SS

More about the replica:

The case of this watch looks to be well made and elaborate. It has a perfect combination of brushed and polished parts as well as well defined texture at the side of the case and pushers just like the genuine watch. It has no sharp parts. I love the look of that integrated pushers.

The fixed bezel has tachymeter scale printed on it. The bezel has a brushed top with polished side. It looks like the black paint on the markers was applied evenly with the right thickness. No sharp part here too.

The crystal comes with single side AR coating and it has blue tint on it. Crystal is made of sapphire and was pressed evenly to the case. Does the AR coating help to reduce reflection? In this case the answer is definitely but not as good as double sided AR coated crystal that I used to see.

Impressively, the dial comes with excellent printing and excellent details too. It's very rare to see a dial with small prints of Officially Certified Chronometer and it is without disturbing the aesthetic of the whole watch. The dial looks to have multiple layers with sunken subdials and raised rehaut. Further refinement is done to the subdials too with concentric circle midway on 12 hours and 30 minutes chronograph counter. The numerals on the dial as well as the markers are on the sloped rehaut are lumed evenly albeit poor lume quality. The colour of the lume is C3 for the markers. A complain with the design here (applied to both genuine and replica) is the minute counter for chronograph function. The marks are unconventional, every 3 minutes instead of the usual 5. It takes a little bit longer to interpret the reading of the correct timing if I was to use this chronograph feature.

Date and day fonts are spot on this model. You need a high powered magnification to see some blemishes on the datewheel... but really, this is EXCELLENT to see a replica with correct date and day font out of the box. This is not a usual ETA7750 datefont and so is the case on the genuine article.

The unique shaped of running second hand doesn't stop the repmaker to replicate it correctly. All hands comes with high quality and well finished (i.e: black coloured or polished steel). The lume is better than the dial and it comes with a different colour (presumably a C7 or Nature). It looks much greener as compared to the lume on the dial or C3 colour.

The repmaker doesn't seem to neglect the back of this watch too. As you will notice on a few of my Eyecandy, IMHO the back look as attractive and the front of this watch. Rotor looks pretty good and the movement is also machine polished. The crystal on this see thru caseback is also made of sapphire. Many replica watches don't encompass AR coating on the caseback but it's different on this piece. Even the crystal is AR coated! The engraving on brushed caseback is not compromised too. It has deep and precise engraving with correct font too!

The rubber strap is integrated to the watch case and it is made of high quality rubber which doesn't attract dust. It doesn't have the fancy vanilla smell like on Paul Picot Le Plongeur nor Chopard Mille Miglia GTXL. A subtle Porsche Design writings are present on the outer part of the rubber strap. The innerside of this rubber strap looks like vulcanized rubber tires. If it is resized properly, this strap provides pretty good wearing comfort even on hot summer days.

Similarly, a good pair of rubber strap has to be accompanied by a good clasp. This model doesn't disappoint too. It has high quality of double deployant clasp with excellent method to hold the rubber strap. You can see that each side of the rubber strap comes with tiny holes and this is how the strap is held. 4 tiny holes attached to the clasp on each side and are secured by 2 screws. A tiny drawback here: poor quality of screws. Again, the maker needs to work on this area. The screw heads are easily damaged, be careful when resizing your strap. You can use 1.5mm screwdriver. A brighter side is, once resized and secured, the clasp locks pretty well and intuitive to open/close.

Eyecandy

P7043639.jpg

P7043639m.jpg

P7043684.jpg

P7043686.jpg

P7043693.jpg

P7043705.jpg

P7043711.jpg

P7043713.jpg

P7043714.jpg

P7043718.jpg

P7043727.jpg

P7043729.jpg

P7043742.jpg

P7043747.jpg

Results:

Strap and clasp: (max. 10 points)

As good as it can get, despite minor issue on the screws.

Operation: (10)

Large non wobbly screw down crown coupled with hidden chronograph pushers which are easy to operate.

Case: (10)

Excellent replica watch case without sharp parts and very fine details included. Only flaw is the gap between the case and pushers are too big as compared to the genuine article (still it's something < 1mm and not noticeable at all).

Design: (15)

Non radical design with intuitive hidden chronograph pushers. Takes some time to get used to but it's definitely an understated watch.

Legibility: (10)

Poor lume on the dial but pretty good on hands. Different colour of chronograph counter hands makes it easier to read the chronograph time but unconventional 3 minute increment on the chronograph minute counter is not that easy to decipher. Reading the time is no problem at all nonetheless.

Wearing comfort: (15)

If resized properly, it is suitable for prolonged wear. The watch is pretty light as the bulk of the parts are made of rubber plus a lighter see thru caseback. Clasp and crown don't dig to the skin too.

Movement: (20)

A standard unserviced Asian 7750 Hi Beat rate with +17s accuracy on the wrist, out of box. Can be adjusted and winding feels so smooth on this piece. Well decorated plate as well as nice rotor too.

Overall value: (10)

Maybe it won't pick up the value so much. It is such an understated replica watch. Cut to resize rubber strap maybe a drawback for many who intends to resell this watch.

Total: 82/100

Conclusion:

Perhaps this is the watch for a replica watch buyer looking for an excellent replica watch outside the well known brand such as Rolex, Omega, Breitling and IWC. In my opinion, it is a much better looking watch than let say a Tag Heuer Aquaracer (i.e.: too mainstream and conventional) and it definitely has a unique design. It has tiny flaws but for the price of 1/10 of the genuine, I will not hesitate to highly recommend this watch.

Fantastic review, and brilliant photos, thanks very much! ^_^

I have the same watch, mine came with an incorrect white center seconds hand, which I had replaced with a silver one like yours. B)

Interesting regarding the AR, I thought it had it on the case back too, glad to see I wasn't imagining things :p

My watch has a single sided purple AR coating though, definitely not blue, strange, but true.....

Cheers! B)

This watch has been on and off my wish list since it came out.. after reading your review, it is back on! :lol:

Very good review, right to the point. I like the close-up pictures. Finish on the subdials looks very well made.. thanks!

It is a different watch. High-tech design which is well thought out, just like the Porsche cars! Black dial on black rubber looks very stylish.

I hope that the new generation 7750ies with regulator finds their way into the glass-caseback replicas soon. That would make a nice replica even nicer! :)

Nice review. Very nice watch IMO! Never noticed the AR on the case back!

I had a few QC issues with the watch I received. For one, the hands were not put on correctly and do not line up at the hour markers.

The other issue I had was with the deployant always popping open. I had to dremel the inside edges to make it stay closed.

Must have been a Monday or Friday watch. Other than that a very cool watch.

Top pic is rep (picture courtesy of Trusty). Bottom pic is of my gen. Rep's chrono buttons are further spaced apart than gen but all markings are really good.

PD001A_4.jpg

PD-2.jpg

Echoing the posse...great review...good info...great pics.

Any chance of a side pic of the chrono pushers and the crown??

@Jawo: Thanks for the pictures and do you think the lume colour on the replica watch's hour and minute hands are too green relative to the genuine article?

@carlsbad: It's indeed a very nice watch and most probably this watch won't fit you anymore (I cut the rubber strap to fit my small wrist). I have seen price dropping below 300USD for this watch.

Glad that you guys like it ;) Have a great weekend.

The gen's lume is fairly green. I think a bit higher than C3.

PD-1.jpg

@Jawo: Thanks for the pictures and do you think the lume colour on the replica watch's hour and minute hands are too green relative to the genuine article?

@carlsbad: It's indeed a very nice watch and most probably this watch won't fit you anymore (I cut the rubber strap to fit my small wrist). I have seen price dropping below 300USD for this watch.

Glad that you guys like it ;) Have a great weekend.

I have the red dial version. The crystal is with Chief getting new AR, and the dial with Kent getting relumed. I'll add picks in a couple of weeks. I ABSOLUTELY love this watch. I get more comments on it than I do my PAM, SSD, and B&R. It's a great watch that is very unique, I highly recommend it.

Edited by pman

Guest Mr Jones

And on market they sold Porsche with two different quality ruber straps, and if takashi have AR with blue tint thay make it with three different AR coating - I have one with no AR, one with purple (plum) AR tint.

Old one with white chrono second hand, new one with silver second hand [red dial always must be with white chrono second chand like gen ?].

You have to give the rep factory big strokes for putting as much effort into the back of this watch as the front - usually the rotors and clasps suck big time.

Like most Patek reps - clear caseback and a rotor that looks nothing like a signature Patek rotor.

Anyone who had even seen a picture of a real Patek would scream Fake.

And the cheap, tinny clasps with the bad photo-etched logo. Feh!

These guys did a nice rep -