When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of the "897S" Rolex Submariner

JohnG

Review of the "897S" Rolex Submariner

Introduction and Background

I have often reflected on the fact that all of the discussion on the various forums dedicated to the study and collection of replica watches seems to be focused exclusively on the middle and high end watches. But what about the watches that, though now completely ignored in these venues, really represent the spiritual heritage of the very good mechanical reps that we now take for granted?

As with most things, the evolution of replicas has been a gradual process characterized by change as replicas have been dissected, refined, and eventually supplanted by more faithful versions of themselves.

But what of these watches

Guest carlsbadrolex

I can only wonder what the true value of such an ancient piece is. In all my years of collecting I have never had the opportunity to examine such a fine piece of history as this. YOU my friend are a very lucky man indeed!

Congratulation and please wear it well!

Guest carlsbadrolex

Someone needs to send this watch to the manufacturers and have a 1:1 built of it. I think they could sell these by the hundreds! In fact, I am looking for a Christmas gift for all my friends. Could it be done by then?

Interesting story, but I must be missing the punchline or something. I am not getting what the connection is between this typical Canal Street quality rep & any other reps -- past, present or future? This is the same quartz Sub that is sold on the street corners of many larger cities. No? Why all the hoopla? :huh:

Interesting story, but I must be missing the punchline or something. I am not getting what the connection is between this typical Canal Street quality rep & any other reps -- part, present or future? This is the same quartz Sub that is sold on the streets in many larger cities. No? :huh:

Freddy you old humorless prick... :bangin::D

Someone needs to send this watch to the manufacturers and have a 1:1 built of it. I think they could sell these by the hundreds! In fact, I am looking for a Christmas gift for all my friends. Could it be done by then?

I will send a pic to Josh and ask him if he can contact his suppliers about making a copy. I am sure that we could do a 897S "Canal St. Commemorative" edition.

I will send a pic to Josh and ask him if he can contact his suppliers about making a copy. I am sure that we could do a 897S "Canal St. Commemorative" edition.

Do you think that they will get it right :rofl:

I am sure they will miss out on some details , :nea:

Just imagining what these dealers were thinking about you when you kept insisting you wanted a quartz Sub, makes me laugh.

A really fun read, John, thanks!

Your writing skills are superb, are you a journalist?

Just imagining what these dealers were thinking about you when you kept insisting you wanted a quartz Sub, makes me laugh.

A really fun read, John, thanks!

Your writing skills are superb, are you a journalist?

No, but I love to write. I am a non-practicing attorney living in rural Spain, restoring a house by day, roaming the rep forums by night (it is REALLY rural where I am living). I came down to Marbella for a little down time.

On the last pic ... is there really no gasket!?

Nope, no gasket. Gaskets and O-rings and all attempts to make reps anything more than superficially similar to their genuine counterparts are relatively new developments in the rep world. I think we need to do a graphical time line of the evolution of reps - anyone up for it?

• 2 months later...