When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Okay, why would anyone do this?

By-Tor

You should be quite confident of your skills to start breaking up 2 gen Rolexes and swapping the things in them. :D

PS: They made the original GMT (the one without cg's) with white dial. It's among the most sought after gens out there.

I kinda like it, too B-T.

I'd never split up a couple of gens, but might swap in an Explorer II dial if I had one.

I just ordered the Alpha GMT which is very similar, as a play watch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=020

And as you say, my dream would be to build the 6542 with the white desk pilots dial and the black bezel

post-175-1216386368_thumb.jpg

for now the Alpha's as close as I can get!

I kinda like it, too B-T

And as you say, my dream would be to build the 6542 with the white desk pilots dial and the black bezel

post-175-1216386368_thumb.jpg

for now the Alpha's as close as I can get!

I like it too. It's very reminiscent of the white dial 6542 grail watch.

There is also this opposite; a Rolex custom GMT dial fitted in a 1655 that was used by Oliver Shepard in the Transglobal Expedition in the late 70's. Look it up on Antiquorum, it sold for $35K.

353.jpg

You should be quite confident of your skills to start breaking up 2 gen Rolexes and swapping the things in them. :D

PS: They made the original GMT (the one without cg's) with white dial. It's among the most sought after gens out there.

Well he wouldn't need TWO gens, just a 16710, an Explorer dial and hand set and it's off to the RSC ;)

Indeed, the 'ground crew' Pan-Am GMT 6542 :drool:

panam6542myst9mf0joco6.jpg

There's also another more modern precedent of inbreeding like this - some mountaineer/adventurer/Ranulph Fiennes-type who asked Rolex to put a fixed Explorer bezel on his GMT 16710. Must dig that Antiquorum article out sometime.

I like it too. It's very reminiscent of the white dial 6542 grail watch.

There is also this opposite; a Rolex custom GMT dial fitted in a 1655 that was used by Oliver Shepard in the Transglobal Expedition in the late 70's. Look it up on Antiquorum, it sold for $35K.

353.jpg

He probably had them switch the dial since the ExpII 1655 dial was too confusing to read :D . I like the vintage ExpII a lot, but I always did think the dial was too busy.

if you have the money, time and imagination... why not? it looks very much like a national "tricolor" national-flag-watch. Very colorfull... maybe too much for my taste.

let's see the gmt master II in the expII case now... will it look better?