When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Beauty in White

JoJo35

Wow, I'm speachless Jojo! :o

Congrats to both the owner and the builder. :1a:

Where the hell did you get a gen Date Wheel?

And a 72 bracelet!

That is a great watch. Can't wait to see it in the flesh :wub:

Cheers

Stephane

Stephane,

Thank you so much. Hearing your words is a true compliment; especially coming from one of this forums most respected.

Oh, and as for the gen datewheel...

As far as I know, there's only one movement that one of those can connect to ;)

Another work of art by the master. Wear it well. :wub:

p.s. Are you sure the clasp is vintage or is it new stock?

Thanks Freddy!

The clasp is definitely a '72, properly stamped and appropriately worn. I've had this a long time, and it's origin (to me) was as a gift from a good friend from the gen world. I think the flip-loc may be a replacement, as it appears slightly different from the other gen oyster and heavy oyster pieces I own.

I haven't seen Stafane's watch but if it is lume lume retains the original color much longer. For that and longevity of glow lume is a far superior material. The only benefit of tritium is that there is always a faint glow even without "charging" until it dies - which in spite of a claimed half life of 12-13 years seems to lose its glow even faster. On my PAM's, my 03 and 23 dial have no glow. My 170 which is an F so only a few years old is already fading. And on tritium it can age dramatically differently based on a number of factors - varnish or not (some watches even have varnish on the hands or dial but not the other), exposure to light and even whether the hands or dial have sat outside of a watch for an extended of time. The other thing is that the surrounds can have a dramatic difference. I have never figured out whether it is chemistry or reflection though on that. My guess is chemistry. The markers on my dial with metal surrounds look dramtically different than markers that are sitting openly on the dial. In spite of all its flaws I do love tritium. :D

As Kruzer said!

Many factors are involved :D

Well, the truth is that I build a couple of 1680s.

And therefore we decided that the red would look older than the white...

Remember, this is a game we play.

We only mimick the gen.

Same with the 1665 Trilogy. I wanted them to look completely different one from the other.

I'm not looking for 100% accurancy but more looking at a collection of Subs/SD that is seen as an entity, not watch by watch.

In the real life everything is possible anyway.

I saw 1680s and 1665 GW with very white dial and hands.

If you Google for a certain Rolex reference you will see differences on how the hour markers, hands and pearls aged.

Colors may be completely different.

I'm looking at a gen 16800 this week-end (mate dial) the pearl is very dark brown.

All other 16800 I saw had more yellowish/light brown pearls.

Awesome watch, really first rate as usual!

So, let me get this straight... all gen except the dial and case, righ? Gen movement, hands, bracelet... is crystal and mag rep? the insert?

Jm,

Here's the list of gen incorporated into it:

crown/tube

bracelet

dial

hands

insert

lume pearl

T127

I agree with previous posts concerning the appearance of tritium. Some remains white, while some turns tan, yet some turn that gorgeous speckled look that collectors have come to love. The dial and hands of this watch match nicely, while the pearl is an update ;)

Check out my triple six. The pearl has aged quite darker than the markers and hands:

IMG_1595-1.jpg

Jm,

Here's the list of gen incorporated into it:

crown/tube

bracelet

dial

hands

insert

lume pearl

T127

Absolutely impressive. So, I am wondering... with the exception of trying to get as close to a gen as possible, what is the advantage of gen hands? The rest, I completely get, but are gen hands noticeably different? Are they worth the additional $800 or so?