When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Here's one auction to watch.

southcoast68

Hi all

Check this out on the 'Bay; Item No. 280252689171. The bidding is at $15,000 +/- and I am dying to know what this will sell at. Since it is on the 'Bay, there is always authenticily questions, so, what do the Rollie experts say?? Looks pretty genuine to me and totally :drool: to die for.

looks like a POS to me :)

Not sure whether you were joking there, Pho, but you may not have been too far off the mark.

The watch looks like a nice gen. However, since the seller had a good history (since late 2001 with a 99.4% Positive rating) & I had no plans to purchase this watch, I did not bother to review any of his previous sales. I just did & they all appear to be shoes (& more than 90 days ago). So following the principle of buying the seller before buying the watch, the possibility exists that this could be a very good franken (I hope mine turns out this well). But the WIS divvy in me still says gen with a final sale price of at least $40k.

Interesting... The winner has ONE feedback. I bet this one gets relisted.

@jjfesq. This is an early Pan-Am GMT but not the "pilot/executive" version, as that one had a white dial. Verrrrrrry rare.

Interesting... The winner has ONE feedback. I bet this one gets relisted.

@jjfesq. This is an early Pan-Am GMT but not the "pilot/executive" version, as that one had a white dial. Verrrrrrry rare.

I was recently reading that the reason PanAm had the white dial versions made was that the executives were keeping the GMTs' meant for the flight and ground crew for themselves. I guess they felt like they should have a nice watch since the pilots and crew got the cool planes to fly in. Anyway, it seems that when the news of this got back to who ever was in charge of that program, he ordered the watches be returned to the flight crews and then ordered the white dial ones to give to the executives to satisfy them.

The pictures below are not mine, the first was on Ebay HK and was labeled a "redialed GMT" from a place selling replacement bakelite bezels, the second picture is of the real deal. Man I want to build one of these at some point. How difficult would it be to get GMT dials made in white anyway??

gmtpanam.jpg

PANamwhitegmt.jpg

I love the white dial also. A custom run- maybe 50 or 100 would hopefully be enough. The chinese make dials for probably less than a dollar- in quantity. But something like this- probably $50-100 each.

Might check with freddy- he's been trying to figure out how to build a cheap 6542- less than an NDT one.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Did anyone notice that the seller stated he would ship via Fedex. As an old timer in NAWCC isnt he aware that if they lose the watch, he will get a check for $500?

And trust me, packages get lost with FEDEX ALL THE TIME. I file at least three claims a week.

If I pay $25k for a watch, Im buying a plane ticket to pick it up!

Did anyone notice that the seller stated he would ship via Fedex. As an old timer in NAWCC isnt he aware that if they lose the watch, he will get a check for $500?

And trust me, packages get lost with FEDEX ALL THE TIME. I file at least three claims a week.

Hand delivery or pickup is the best method for sure.

Hey T, if you have no choice but to ship, your best bet is to call Parcel Pro first. http://www.parcelpro.com/ They will set up the shipping and offer third party insurance. Up to $75K for domestic and $50K for International.

I have used them a few times. No problems. They have a strict policy of NOT marking the contents on the box, as I'm sure that is why most packages go missing!

Amen to that brother!!!!!!!!

Thats probably the best Idea... I remember paying less than 100$ for a round trip NYC-Columbus.