When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Reminder: proper care for asian 7750 movements

milsub5517

With all these new chrono reps coming out I think it is a good time to remind newb\'s and other members that asian 7750\'s do require special care!!!

Do not activate the chrono until you have done all these steps as mentioned

When you receive your watch, please remember to handwind the piece for about 5-10 rounds (very slow and gentle) to generate some power reserve. [if you feel the slightest resistance immediately stop handwinding. The gears are probably dried out and your movement needs some servicing.]

Then you carefully shake the piece for 1-2 minutes to generate more power reserve.

How do you set date on 7750 or 7753 or 7750b1 or any movt with date chrono/ automatic?

Make sure you do not adjust the date between 10pm-3am ever!!! Always adjust the hands forward and never backwards.

Pull the crown out to adjust the hour hand manually to determine when is am/pm. See the date change - then you will know when is am/ pm. Make sure you know when is am/ pm before you proceed

After u have confirmed the am/ pm - adjust the crown to get to the desired date you want.

also this:

I would also suggest only adjusting the hands forwards, never backwards. One strange thing I've noticed when adjusting the time on A7750 movements is that the minute hand is very difficult to keep at the adjusted time. Everytime you set it to the correct minute, you pop the crown back in and the hand jumps forwards half a minute or more. Very, very annoying.

One last thing to mention is that once you've wond the hands forward and set the time, you always seem to lose a minute. Basically, the first minute after you pop the crown back in is actually 2 minutes, not 1 so the watch ends up 1 minute slow. The way you solve this, and don't ask me why this works, is that you set the time a couple of minutes ahead of the correct time then adjust the hands backward to the correct time.

Enjoy your new watches!!!

EDIT: guys i combined all info posted below and included in the original post.

Really dangerous...

Ziggy repeatedly warned about handwinding automatic movements - especially these unreliable A7750s. Shaking it like a mad cow isn't the best idea either - I have no problems with making a joke - but the average Joe having no clue about watches and movements will do that without thinking further - et voila you have another dead watch...

The date adjusting advice is valid.

so what is the best? shake it a little, just to get it running and then adjust time/date?

shouldnt our dealers put a short instructions list with every chrono they ship??? this will avoid a lot of problems especially with newb's and will save $$$ as well!

Really dangerous...

The Zigmeister repeatedly warned about handwinding automatic movements - especially these unreliable A7750s. Shaking it like a mad cow isn't the best idea either - I have no problems with making a joke - but the average Joe having no clue about watches and movements will do that without thinking further - et voila you have another dead watch...

The date adjusting advice is valid.

Edited by mil_sub

Personally I wear my watches for a few minutes - thats more than enough to get them running. Then I just set the date and the time and wear it.

I never had the problem with any watch, that the power reserve built this way was not enough and the watch stopped during I wore it...

So as Ziggy recommends the same - I would say thats the healthier method - always worked fine for me.

Handwinding the A7750 is something I would never attempt again. Everytime I've done it, I've had trouble getting the winding rotor to 'bite' and the crown always seems to experience gear slippage where the crown engages momentarily then rotates without winding anything.

I would also suggest only adjusting the hands forwards, never backwards. One strange thing I've noticed when adjusting the time on A7750 movements is that the minute hand is very difficult to keep at the adjusted time. Everytime you set it to the correct minute, you pop the crown back in and the hand jumps forwards half a minute or more. Very, very annoying.

One last thing to mention is that once you've wond the hands forward and set the time, you always seem to lose a minute. Basically, the first minute after you pop the crown back in is actually 2 minutes, not 1 so the watch ends up 1 minute slow. The way you solve this, and don't ask me why this works, is that you set the time a couple of minutes ahead of the correct time then adjust the hands backward to the correct time.

Do you think if i shake you car engine like a "mad cow" it will start, No, it needs turning over, build up power reserve by rotating the watch or swerling not shaking, and do not set the date between 9 pm and 3 AM

Mil sup please edit your post for the good of the noobs

I did up a number of posts in my section on this and other stuff...

Here are some links that may help shed light on this topic:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=78317

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=78016

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=77686

If you browse the section on "Technical and Helpful Info" there is more.

RG

Rob your links are not working but i wil re post this from your Care and feeding post

ETA 7750, "Valjoux" "Swiss" model (Valjoux does not exist either, but it continues to be mislabled).

Highly recommended, in it's basic form. With add-ons, there could be problems with the availibility of spare parts – for example the Daytona with running seconds at 6 models, the added parts are not ETA…and no spares available.

These are normally very good as delivered, clean, oiled, and good overall. Don't normally need to be serviced. Parts readily available (for the basic movement).DO NOT set the date between 8 PM and 2 AM, or you will damage the movement. The dateset on the 7750 is not instant, it takes place between

Ziggy's references are the "laws" in which my A7750's live by .. I can usually tell now the red flagged movements when I first slowly turn the crown in the winding position.. some movements I give 2 or 3 turns and then just put them on... I'm not concerned about them running for 2 day's anymore..as they have enough power as I wear them... works for me..

I've had my V-2 skyland on the winder for a over a week now and it was given only a few turns.. still going strong.. :D

How about the A7750's in the SMP chrono, and the V2 skyland.. Are these reliable?

Ive yet to take a chance on a chrono..

I think all the A7750's have the potential for problems but to be honest about half of my 50+ rep collection are chronos using the A7750 and I've had very few problems. Don't be scared off from them because of the potential for problems just use a little care with them. If you're looking at the SMP Chrono I say go for it. I have one that I bought used and that definately had some wrist time and I've never had a problem with it. It's a great looking watch on the wrist and is actually one of my favorites.

How about the A7750's in the SMP chrono, and the V2 skyland.. Are these reliable?

Ive yet to take a chance on a chrono..

I have a A7750 SMP chrono for about a year. It is not my everyday watch but when I wear it , it works like a champ, very good power reserve and very accurate. The only problem is the fragile crown, and I think the best for this watch is minimum or no hand winding if possible. Except this, nothing to worry about.

Just to be clear:

- never ever shake a watch 'like a mad cow'

- if you handwind an 7750 (especially an unserviced one) do it very slow and gentle until the movement starts running.

- If you feel the slightest resistance immediately stop handwinding. The gears are probably dried out and your movement needs some servicing.

• 1 month later...
I did up a number of posts in my section on this and other stuff...

Here are some links that may help shed light on this topic:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=78317

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=78016

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=77686

If you browse the section on "Technical and Helpful Info" there is more.

RG

none of the links worked for me

but i'll read up in Tech/Help section

good info on the winding part though ... i have been shaking automatic watches since almost 20 years now and never thought much about it, LoL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah this drives me crazy, any idea why this happens? Does the ETA 7750 not do this?

I hand-wind my BCE every day - its power reserve is better than it was since I sent it back to Ruby (basically never wound itself out of the box) but I still give it ten winds every night to keep it ticking over. Works fine.

The tip on the minute hand is a good one, confused the hell out of me until I realised what was happening and set the time a minute and a half fast!

• 2 years later...