When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Gen would you get for $2k-$4k.

bruce79

If one were going to sell off their collection to fund a gen, what would you recommend? I figure I'm working with a range of $2k-$4k depending on what I sell (I've got a small but quality collection), how much I'm willing to chip in from my wallet. I prefer a pre-owned watch because I believe in getting the most watch for my money...a few scratches or swirl marks make no difference to me. Specialy dive/pilot brands really don't interest me but I know I can get into the mid range of Omega and the low range of Rolex/Panerai/IWC so what do you think? I just want a watch that I can wear everyday, will look great on a bracelet or a strap, and something I can hand down to my kid one day. :)

Any suggestions? Also, I'm not above just getting a Sub either... :p

Guest carlsbadrolex

Hey there sunshine... Allow me to chime in and offer to assist in funding your gen purchase (YOU KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT)...

There are a couple watches I have been eyeing locally (for both of us).

One is an N serial Explorer II white dial with box and papers for $3500.

And a Z serial number Explorer II black dial with box and reg card for $3900.

Both are local, and still for sale as of this afternoon.

If interested in either, let me know and I will point you in the right direction. Im also sure offers would be accepted on either.

Well i hear u many nice watches around i did my research a bit the last month and if u like me would like to keep the most of ure investment u need to think Rolex first ... i was looking let say at blancpain modern 50 fathoms retails for 9.2k euro and people have trouble selling new ones at 6.5k euro mark ... also i like the zenith el primero open square design costs 8.6k euro new selling mint condition 6 months old at 3.9k euro (negotiable) ... i can go on ...

So as said if ure into trying to preserve ure value Rolex is best bet... then probably Panerai ...

<Regards laz

I'll second Laz's comment: preserve value, get a Sub or a SD.

They will become very valuable in the next 20 years for sure.

As a reference, see how much is a great white now :o

If you are a sub lover, you will end with one as I did.

But I would recommend a SD first. These seems to have more value already.

GMTII is another option of course.

cmon guys he can do better for that price - if you go a little over the 4k you can find good deals on Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine and Maxi Marine Chrono you may have to go used, - but, thats a real watch collectors watch

you might also try to find a used Zenith - probably a little tougher.

If one were going to sell off their collection to fund a gen, what would you recommend? I figure I'm working with a range of $2k-$4k depending on what I sell (I've got a small but quality collection), how much I'm willing to chip in from my wallet. I prefer a pre-owned watch because I believe in getting the most watch for my money...a few scratches or swirl marks make no difference to me. Specialy dive/pilot brands really don't interest me but I know I can get into the mid range of Omega and the low range of Rolex/Panerai/IWC so what do you think? I just want a watch that I can wear everyday, will look great on a bracelet or a strap, and something I can hand down to my kid one day. :)

Any suggestions? Also, I'm not above just getting a Sub either... :p

see the website www.timezone.com and see the Sales Corner & TZ Showcase in that. You can get almost anything in 2K to 4K range

"I just want a watch that I can wear everyday, will look great on a bracelet or a strap, and something I can hand down to my kid one day."

A watch that you can hand down to your kid one day will need to be a timeless classic and one which looks good on both a strap or bracelet narrows it down somewhat - IMO that rules out most if not all Rolex as they generally don't look good an a strap. You have suggested Omega , Rolex or Panerai. I love Panerai and have 2 gens together with a small collection of franken or heavily modded reps. However I don't like any Panerai on bracelets as I think that all models look best on straps and I am not sure if the attraction of Panerai will stand the test of time so that your kid will appreciate them as much as we do now. Crystal ball territory I know, but I doubt that their appeal will be as universal as time goes on.

That leaves Omega - which model can you wear everyday, will look great on a bracelet or a strap, and something that is already sufficiently classic that you can anticipate handing down to your kid one day? For me that must be a Speedy Pro. A minty used example is well within your range, probably at the bottom end of it and it ticks all the boxes. I bought mine at approx 4 months old and no evidence that it was ever worn at all. I paid about 55% - 60% of the retail price at that time as they had taken a price rise between the time the original owner had bought and sold it to me. I removed the unworn bracelet and have worn it on a custom 'period' rally style strap and aftermarket deployant ever since. I would expect to be able to get a profit today if I wanted to sell and I don't think that many other watches will match the 'timeless' quality of the Speedy.

There's a gorgeous SS UN Marine Chronometre on bracelet for sale on TZ right now; $3500 and would be a great looking watch on a strap as well.

I like the idea of an older Zenith El Primero also; Zenith is a phenominal value for the money!

Though I also think a nice 16800 with original matte dial might be an option to consider too (gee, dunno why I would think that ;) ).

Decisions like this are difficult as the choice of watch is purely subjective to the buyer; depending on if you want modern, vintage etc. there are a ton of options out there within your price range. However, if I were in your position, I'd keep your current favorite to wear as a daily, sell off the rest of the collection and save up to push your budget into the $10k - $12k range. This will give you something to wear while opening up your options even more.

Just my $0.02...

Lots of great ideas here. But it might be helpful if we knew what your favorite reps/watches are. What watches get the most wrist time? It would also be helpful if we knew how important resale value is. If it is important it narrows down the options significantly (even within brands). Let's start with - do you tend to wear 44mm PAM's and Brietlings or 37-40mm Rolexes, Omegas, etc. :)

+1 on the UN Marine Chronometre. At 3500 used its a _steal_

+1 on any Zenith with el primero movement

..you can save up till 10k, but why stop there? You can go further up the 20-40k range and get even more options!! ;)

I told myself that my next gen would be an F.P. Journe.

Ubi is rite on the moolah here: "Whatever floats your boat" is prolly the answer. Buy a watch that will make _you_ feel happy. Don't listen to us and our wet dreams :))

BUT, IMHO, whichever you get, find the right balance of 'I got a super gen now' vs 'I can only afford instant noodles now'

There's a gorgeous SS UN Marine Chronometre on bracelet for sale on TZ right now; $3500 and would be a great looking watch on a strap as well.

I like the idea of an older Zenith El Primero also; Zenith is a phenominal value for the money!

Though I also think a nice 16800 with original matte dial might be an option to consider too (gee, dunno why I would think that ;) ).

Decisions like this are difficult as the choice of watch is purely subjective to the buyer; depending on if you want modern, vintage etc. there are a ton of options out there within your price range. However, if I were in your position, I'd keep your current favorite to wear as a daily, sell off the rest of the collection and save up to push your budget into the $10k - $12k range. This will give you something to wear while opening up your options even more.

Just my $0.02...

I have given your question a lot of thought and made these same choices many times for my own collection. Here is what I came up with.

If you are willing to look at new pieces in that price range I think Breitling wins hands down on value for the money. Their ETA based movements are just that and anything but stock. World class fit and finishing for a song. I also think buying these at deep discount outside the AD's if necessary is prudent. To me, the reason for paying a bigger price at an AD is reserved for peices that I always want to have access to the factory because they have in house movements not everyone can work on. Plus, the likelyhood of a 7750 or 2824 Breitling breaking inside the warantee period id unlikely - and if it did, the warranty from a top three online retailer will suffice as they can source whatever parts to fix it.

Anyway, that said, a Steelfish can be had for $2200 or so and if you get the bracelet version, changing to leather or rubber turns it into a whole new piece. Three watches in one. IMO, The Fish is the absolute best new watch value for two grand - period. The Skyland is similar in versatility and gets you in at $3500 if you want a chrono. For versatility reasons I would go with the black dial version for either of these

The PO would be a great runner up for $2500 or so and offers nice versatility with the leather and rubber as extras too. the Coaxial escapement 2892 is nice for service reasons, but while this watch is REALLY REALLY nice for the case, the Fish is still higher quality by far to the touch. I'm trying to be objective as I can but that is my true opinion owning both watches

If you want to stay outside the "norm" and go up a notch in percieved class the IWC Aquatimer series is a great choice - also if you want to push the limit of your budget. On a bracelet, you can get into an AT for $3900 or so for non-chrono and $4300 for the chrono for either the steel or Ti version. Although I have to tell you, and this may shock a lot of people, but these watches simply arent as well made as either the Fish OR the PO. The AR and lume are also both VERY MARGINAL. They are nice and prestigious and really cool looking, but the fit and finish of the case, bracelet and movement don't match the Fish or PO. The bracelet though is the best design ever IMO and the most comfortable of the lot. Anyway, I said a lot that may surprise people but I still love the watch. The cool factor is just so high that I forgive it's shotcomings. It also isn't my only watch and I wouldn't own it if it were going to be. But I still think it is a good value for the money so I mention it here

I know it is out of your price range, but if you can swing it, there is no cooler watch for the money in almost every way than the UN Maxi Diver. The fit and finish is just so amazing that you can't even BELIEVE it when holding one. Just levels everything in its class and I own many of its competitors so that is a completely objective comment. If I were going to spend $4K as you said, I would just save up another grand and get one of these if it were going to be my only gen for a while. Hands down. Retail is $7500 on bracelet and $6900 on rubber, but they can be had for around $5300 and $4900 respectively.

Easy for me to spend your money, but if you want my honest opinion you have it as I carefully considered and ended up owning all of the watches I mentioned - and I still do and wouldn't consider getting rid of any of them (which is saying something as I am fickle). But if I were you and I had to choose one, get the UN MMD or get a Fish as they are each the best sports watch in their price class.

UN12r.jpg

Fish12r.jpg

PO18.jpg

Aquatimer7r.jpg

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I think I know where I'm headed but I just wanted to get some more ideas. A bit more though about my likes...My small collection includes an Oris TT1, 3 Pams, and a franken 16610. I really dig Rolex & Panerai...because of that, I'm leaning towards a used SD...anything with a T dial would float my boat. I would consider a Sub too but only if it were a 16800 or something with some historic value. Resale value is not at the forefront but it's definitely in the back of my mind. I don't want to buy something that is worth a fraction of what I paid 10 years from now. But a classic design it must be...nothing to outrageous or bulky. I like big watches because my wrist is huge and I'm a big guy @ 6'5" but nothing that is obscenely big.

OK, so in order of preference, here are my choices. As boring as they may seem, they are what I like... ^_^

1. Rolex SD (would prefer an earlier model 16600 with T dial and lug holes)

2. Rolex Sub (same as above)

3. Omega either PO or Speedy

4. Pam (base/logo model)

I could live with getting a gen Rolex and keeping one of my pam reps to satisfy the strap fetish. Part of me is somewhat hesitant to get a gen Pam because I feel their current prices may be somewhat inflated. What I mean is that a watch that cost $5k today cost 1/2 that 5 years ago. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful watches and my 3 Pam reps get the most wrist time hands down but I'm a little put off by the Panerai frenzy...sort of like the housing market. I will own a gen Pam someday but I feel that I should probably own a Rollie first. :D

I agree with PAMman the Speedy Pro is the way to go! The watch is a classic, just the right size with a rich history and fits well in your budget. I'm am wearing mine right now on a Black Hirsh Rally Strap, but it looks equally good on the bracelet. I bought mine on TZ two years ago @ 50% of retail and it was in perfect condition. This is definetly a watch you can hand down to your son and will not lose value. I was planning on giving this one to my son (4 years old) upon graduation from High School, but now we have a second son (maybe he'll get my gen Planet Ocean).

Andreas

I read this last night and was going to say a Speedy Pro or Planet Ocean but I figured I would think it over at work today (yep, I am bored).

I don't know that a Panerai is a good choice to hand down to your son. I don't think anyone has recommended it yet but another great choice in my opinion is a Breitling Navitimer. Should you go the SeaDweller route there is one on TZ in your price range.