When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Steve McQueen Project

bertieng

After months and months of collecting the parts in every corner of the world, the McQueen project is at last completed. Let the watch speaks for itself.

Everything starts from the 1575 engine. I was lucky to find the true 1570 with the 24 hour module at a very affordable cost.

post-943-1221105209_thumb.jpgpost-943-1221105227_thumb.jpg

Some shots with the watch head assembled.

post-943-1221105313_thumb.jpgpost-943-1221105350_thumb.jpgpost-943-1221105380_thumb.jpg

post-943-1221105413_thumb.jpg

Some details on the dial.

post-943-1221105469_thumb.jpgpost-943-1221105482_thumb.jpg

The silver datewheel.

post-943-1221105516_thumb.jpg

And finally completed with the 7836 folding bracelet which I feel is more correct for this combination.

post-943-1221105599_thumb.jpg

I must say there really has been a lot of work involved which is even beyond the efforts spent in building my previous 6538 Bond project.

I must say here a big THANK YOU to Tribal for all his contribution in making this McQueen successful.

So, what is next in the line? Milgauss 6541........?! Target completion 2009.......but I msut get my LV done first.

Hope you have enjoyed and cheers.

Edited by bertieng

Thanks for the comment. Can you shed me some light on what is the issue with the dial? Cheers.

This is a gen - compare to yours

118a.jpg

Yours

Image3-5.jpg

You could probably find something better, but I just did a quick scan of Josh's site & found this. I am not a big fan of this tinted lume, but the crown & fonts are more accurate

1.jpg

Here is the link

I do not mean to pick on you, but I think that dial is marring an otherwise outstanding franken.

This is a gen - compare to yours

118a.jpg

Yours

Image3-5.jpg

You could probably find something better, but I just did a quick scan of Josh's site & found this. I am not a big fan of this tinted lume, but the crown & fonts are more accurate

1.jpg

Here is the link

I do not mean to pick on you, but I think that dial is marring an otherwise outstanding franken.

Hi Freddy, Bertieng. Unfortunalty Josh's dial will be way too big for this case. Check out this item number on ebay: 150271918826 Its says item has ended but i messaged him and he says he has more dials available. Not sure how they are but you can get him to send you more pics and post for the experts here to look at.

Btw great watch Bertieng, getting the parts together for one myself, if its half as good as yours i'll be happy.

Cheers

P.

No there are some variations of this Dial!

This one is a Mark I Dial and it looks perfect in my opinion

If you look through the Antiquorum Rolex auction catalogue, you see sooooo many variations on dials on the vintage pieces, it's really hard to really say yay or nay on any vintage watches.

I did a little guide to some rare vintage rollies...obviously not complete...but it shows huge variances on things like crown guards that many members here speak so definitively about how they should look.

Toad's Vintage Rollie Guide

I think the watch looks amazing. I would love to do something like this!

Absolutely incredible, congrats!!!!!!!!! Now this is what I'm talking about, a real work of art!!!!!!! Also, don't touch that dial!!!!! there is nothing wrong with it, as stated above, its an early MKI dial with "slab serif" Rolex logo and "goofy looking crown" and totaly belongs here, however, I would change out the second hand from the bubble version to the straight version that it would have had as an early model.

Congrats again, it is.................... :drool: