When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

WM9 Submariner - The Z series is gone!

chefcook

Hey guys,

I just wanted to inform you about my latest acquisition, a WM9 Submariner 16610.

I ordered it to have a Submariner with Z serial and smooth rehaut. But what I got was a M with engraved rehaut - in short exactly the watch precious time sells for far less money.

So be aware, that the WM9 is not a way of avoiding the rehaut engraving anymore.

For some reason I doubt that PTs Sub or the WM9 is the same as the Euromariner.

I sold my Euromariner here in the forums, but due to some work it was still on my desk yesterday and I had the possibility of comparing them side by side. The case has some differences: The WM9 has the nice polished bevel on the lugs, which have a different profile as well.

It seems, that WM9 and Euromariner replicate two different cases - yes, the cases on 16610 have varied over the years! There are two different lug shapes! This is something that was discussed on many gen rolex forums before, so I've attached some pics of the gens showing the differences. Look how the sides of the LV and the black sub are different: The LV has a smaller radius on the lugs when viewed from the side. Both cases were available as LV or as black sub and there isn't any consistency in time or serial or lugholes that helps. Rolex. My AD had both cases on his desk, both new, both M serials, both black subs. But with visible differences.

The WM9 has the fatter case as shown on the LV in the attachment. The Euromariner I received has the flatter side profile!

Other differences are the caseback and the crystal retaining ring: Montres Rolex S.A. on the WM9, Monarch Polfy on the Euromariner. But more important is, that the bezel assembly of the WM9 really is gen like. The gasket has the same style like the gen with just one gasket while the Euromariner has an additional groove in the retaining ring and uses two gaskets.

I'll make some pics of the actual watches this evening, then I'll check the serials, too.

Regards,

M.

post-12755-1222845272_thumb.jpg

post-12755-1222845278_thumb.jpg

Hey guys,

I just wanted to inform you about my latest acquisition, a WM9 Submariner 16610.

I ordered it to have a Submariner with Z serial and smooth rehaut. But what I got was a M with engraved rehaut - in short exactly the watch precious time sells for far less money.

So be aware, that the WM9 is not a way of avoiding the rehaut engraving anymore.

For some reason I doubt that PTs Sub or the WM9 is the same as the Euromariner.

I sold my Euromariner here in the forums, but due to some work it was still on my desk yesterday and I had the possibility of comparing them side by side. The case has some differences: The WM9 has the nice polished bevel on the lugs, which have a different profile as well.

It seems, that WM9 and Euromariner replicate two different cases - yes, the cases on 16610 have varied over the years! There are two different lug shapes! This is something that was discussed on many gen rolex forums before, so I've attached some pics of the gens showing the differences. Look how the sides of the LV and the black sub are different: The LV has a smaller radius on the lugs when viewed from the side. Both cases were available as LV or as black sub and there isn't any consistency in time or serial or lugholes that helps. Rolex. My AD had both cases on his desk, both new, both M serials, both black subs. But with visible differences.

The WM9 has the fatter case as shown on the LV in the attachment. The Euromariner I received has the flatter side profile!

Other differences are the caseback and the crystal retaining ring: Montres Rolex S.A. on the WM9, Monarch Polfy on the Euromariner. But more important is, that the bezel assembly of the WM9 really is gen like. The gasket has the same style like the gen with just one gasket while the Euromariner has an additional groove in the retaining ring and uses two gaskets.

I'll make some pics of the actual watches this evening, then I'll check the serials, too.

Regards,

M.

Very interesting.... and sad.. That may explain my problem with the bezel-crystal on my Euromariner.. Do u think i could replace the 2 crystal gaskets of euromariner with one gasket gen-like?

Very interesting.... and sad.. That may explain my problem with the bezel-crystal on my Euromariner.. Do u think i could replace the 2 crystal gaskets of euromariner with one gasket gen-like?

a lot of people by the "clarks 295c" aftermarket 1:1 crystal, with one gasket included, for the euromariner. I soon too, will be one of them.

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

i just recieved my, and i order 2005 model but george wrote me that they gonna send me 2007 z model? i dont know these watches so well that i can say what im recieved? so i add few bad pictures if some one know what model is my watch... there is no engravings on rehault, but i would like to have those engravings..

post-16489-1222855570_thumb.jpg

post-16489-1222855581_thumb.jpg

post-16489-1222855592_thumb.jpg

I guess at this point George may have run out of the 2005 models and he sent you a free upgrade to the 2007- z series ($155 value). At the same time, I would guess that the 2007 z series is running low and the 2008 M series case is next. Maybe he'll update his website.

With the 2007 z series, swapping out a gen bezel insert and trimming the cg's would yield a very nice watch for not much extra money. I wonder if the 2836 is a Swiss or the asian copy movement- I've heard that a few of his watches have the copy eta.

taking this one step further

i have a sub supreme 2008 on order from PT and he emailed me saying that he has got 20 of the same watch without the engraving as a request from his supplier due to the demand from members of this forum, did i want one instead, i said yes please.

so i am now getting the same watch as wm9 was advertising, i think

cant wait for it to arrive.

Edited by colin46

Looking back, I'm glad my modded 2007 Z serial WM9 didn't move from my trade feeler last week ^_^ Looks like mine will be sticking around for a while...

thats a great looking watch, i hope the sub from pt looks like that

could i ask you what mods you have done, i am thinking of sending mine to jackjo for mods

thanks

best wishes

Colin.

Sure. Here's my recipe list of parts that I've fitted...

-Genuine crystal ring

-Genuine bezel washer

-Genuine bezel click

-Genuine bezel ring

-Genuine insert

-Genuine Cyclope 295C

-Genuine crown

-Old TW Best end links

-WM9 outer first link (without the ref no. stamped)

-Hollow midlink bracelet links from a noobmariner

-WM9 clasp

Easy to mod; one of the easiest watches I've ever worked, actually.

Additional pics here...

Sure. Here's my recipe list of parts that I've fitted...

-Genuine crystal ring

-Genuine bezel washer

-Genuine bezel click

-Genuine bezel ring

-Genuine insert

-Genuine Cyclope 295C

-Genuine crown

-Old TW Best end links

-WM9 outer first link (without the ref no. stamped)

-Hollow midlink bracelet links from a noobmariner

-WM9 clasp

Easy to mod; one of the easiest watches I've ever worked, actually.

Additional pics here...

much appreciated thank you

could you tell me where you got the genuine bezel / insert etc from

best wishes

Colin

I typically go through one of 3 people here in the U.S. for parts; however, I managed to source a good majority of this stuff from the usual famous auction site for less than what my usual guys wanted. That's the great thing about the Bay; great deals can be had as sometimes these auctions fly under the radar. However, you have to know what you're looking for with regards to validating genuine parts.

I typically go through one of 3 people here in the U.S. for parts; however, I managed to source a good majority of this stuff from the usual famous auction site for less than what my usual guys wanted. That's the great thing about the Bay; great deals can be had as sometimes these auctions fly under the radar. However, you have to know what you're looking for with regards to validating genuine parts.

thank you, much appreciated

i agree the bay can be a minefield and finding just what you want can often be very time consuming.

i am sure if someone set up on this forum selling these parts, he/ she would have a constant flow of buyers queueing up.

thanks again

Colin.

Pt's Sub is indeed originally from George(WM9) and was a batch of 100 that were sold out to other dealers due to the Cg's not being perfect. This watch is now the lower end 2836 eta movement model with engraving. There is a super Sub rep coming from George in the new year so I'm told but have no more details than that.

I'm waiting for his new Yachtmatser project to be delivered towards the end of the month!

Pt's/WM9's watch is way above the quality and accuracy of the Euromariner which is a copy of the copy in my opinion. Itr has a better dial but that is it! B)