When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New US Rolex prices

By-Tor

Just curious if this works.

I saw on a television show that said when buying any watch over $3000 you should never pay retail price. The show said the AD should come down 30-40% before you agree to buy it.

Has anyone tried negotiating and gotten such a deal on a gen?

Not unusual in Italy... My watchsmith (official Rolex) offered me the black Sub with 20% off tag price, while the 16610LV for 100 euro more only (!!!) above tag price.

i cant figure out how an explorer 1 could cost $5K, in looks and function it should never exceed $3.5K i dont even think its triplock.

i cant figure out how an explorer 1 could cost $5K, in looks and function it should never exceed $3.5K $350, i dont even think its triplock.

I fixed that for you.

i cant figure out how an explorer 1 could cost $5K, in looks and function it should never exceed $3.5K i dont even think its triplock.

Rolex knows it's products are in demand by the quantity they must produce to satisfy dealers and consumers. They sell all that they produce each year. The idea that buyers set the price rather than sellers is only partly true in this case. Rolex has discovered (as many manufacturers have) that they can raise prices slowly and on a regular basis until they detect a negative change in their market. Therefore, in this sense, Rolex is in complete control of the market price for their product. At this point, Rolex hasn't approached the ceiling price that Rolex buyers will not pay to own this prestigious brand.

You are correct that the Explorer I and Explorer II do not have the triplock crown. The reason is that they are not a diver's watch and therefore do not require the extra gasket. Rolex installs the 6mm crown that is also found on the non ceramic GMT, Datejust, and President on the Explorers.

Just curious if this works.

I saw on a television show that said when buying any watch over $3000 you should never pay retail price. The show said the AD should come down 30-40% before you agree to buy it.

Has anyone tried negotiating and gotten such a deal on a gen?

every AD i've been to when looking at Omegas doesnt waste any time telling me they'll knock 35% OFF the sticker. with Rolexs' price increase Omegas aren't a bad deal...especially the used stuff you can find.

i cant figure out how an explorer 1 could cost $5K, in looks and function it should never exceed $3.5K $350, i dont even think its triplock.

I fixed that for you.

yeah that actually sounds about right, when re reading what i wrote and picturing the watch and what materials are in it, even 3.5K is TOO much...i guess their marketing even worked on me. :p

I went into the local Rolex AD today to try negotiating. The salesman knocked 25% off the watches I was looking at without me even trying to get a discount. The Explorer II went from $5950 to about $4500 and the Yachtmaster went from $9950 to $7500.

I probably could have gotten 30-35% if I really intended to buy one today.

... The Explorer II went from $5950 to about $4500....

4500$ = 3350 euros

Good to know! I planned to buy a recent (2005/2007) second hand Expl2 and prices in Italy range from 2700 euros to 3000 euros...

No one told me whether a 2008 16610 Submariner with RRR at 3,870 euros (incl. TAX) is a good deal or not...

"anyone actually know what the AD gets 'em for (@cost)?"

markup is about 42%

current steel submariner list price = $6000

dealer cost is around $3500

the distributor also makes a profit before the dealer gets it

...and the factory makes a profit

many believe today's actual production cost of a submariner including box etc is around $500 (robots work cheap)

Here are a few list prices and dealer cost figures from a few years ago off of a dealer price sheet...

(list to cost ratios are probably the same today)

seadweller 16600 $4000 $2351

submariner 16610 $3875 $2271

18k DJ 16248 bark finish jubilee/diamond dial $16,300 $9681

air king 14010 $2825 $1661

steel DJ with white gold turnograph bezel, oyster bct $4200 $2471

steel Daytona $5500 $3231

18k day-date with diamonds on lugs, diamond dial, diamond bezel, super prez with baguette bracelet etc...aka "the garbage wagon" $102,000 $60,601

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Here are the new US prices for Rolex.

SS Daytona: $9925

AD's here in Hong Kong are selling the Daytonas for around 30,000 USD (around 230,000 HKD), give or take 1-2k for the various models. The SS 116250 models are consistently more expensive than the two tones or newer WG Arabic numeral ones.

One could buy a good used E-Class Mercedes or 5-series BMW with sub-2k mileage with that amount (used cars have low resale value here, as with other major Asian cities).

The other prices are very consistent with the list though, almost to a direct currency exchange value.

Edited by monkeypie