When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

comments on my new tudor franken?

chris5264

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that doesn't look gen on Chris and Steph's watch is the contouring on the underside of the CG's. They shouldn't turn upwards until towards the outer tips...

I see what you mean. But, considering the age of the gens, years of polishing may be playing a part there. Hard to tell without seeing 1 of these frankens in person. I just received notice that my watch will be shipped out today, so I should have it on Monday if not sooner.

I'd agree, though it would require some pretty significant polishing and machining to get the underside of the lugs to turn up like that. The gens have the underside surface concaved following the contour of the case...

MN74mov.jpg

Looking forward to seeing yours when you get it. Pretty cool piece for a great price!

Ubi - I think that is an understatement. Phong is selling a similar watch (with, as I recall, an off-the-shelf 2836) for almost a grand. :huh:

I just started going through my Tudor picture archives & I am not seeing any specific trend in the way the underside of the CGs look. Some are relatively flat, while others are more curved. So I honestly do not think I could make a call based solely on the CGs because of the wide disparity of shapes that I see among gens. Another possibility could be that Rolex had multiple patterns for these cases, or the case shapes varied between model years. A quick perusal of Sub cases over the years would tend to support that possibility.

I will have to do some further research into this, since I do not have alot of experience with Tudors.

I'll take some better pics tonight....interesting stuff about this case. it definately has a good feel to it,,,at least MBK quality, in fact, the first thing I thought was it felt just like my MBK cases. For those interested in where I got this, here is the address.

hXXp://www.wwtshows.com

replace the XX's,,, seems like he had a few but it would be interesting to see how many he had. This place was posted on the vintage rolex post a week ago here on RWG and the second I saw it I ordered it.

hXXp://www.wwtshows.com

replace the XX's,,, seems like he had a few but it would be interesting to see how many he had. This place was posted on the vintage rolex post a week ago here on RWG and the second I saw it I ordered it.

The link must have been buried in an unrelated post, because I never saw it & I just searched the Rolex forum for 'wwtshows' & nothing (but this thread) came up.

Hah! I bought this watch or one of the watches about 5 years ago. He had them listed at $450.00 which is what I paid. I sent it back because it kept horrible time and was advertised as Genuine and all original.

As I recall, it was a nice peice and I think a great buy at $275.00

In fact, I just ordered one.......I hope he still has them :D

As of an hour ago, they had some left.

Your description certainly fits the reasoning for the $275 price point set by the current seller (purchased as 'gens', but found out later they are 'frankens').

If you (or anyone) run into problems with the watch not keeping proper time, just have a watchmaker service it. Because the base movement is a standard ETA, it should not cost more than $200, worst case. And, assuming the watch comes with no other major issues, even if you have to pay for a service (which you would most likely need to do if the watch was 100% gen anyway), I think it is still a great deal.

p.s. The seller explains that he found out about the watches being frankens somewhere on the web. I have been searching since last night & have not found the source. If anyone has a link or happens to stumble across it, please post it here or PM me. TIA.

UPDATE - I found this in my archives & it is still on the Web. I do not know if this is the site the seller was referring to, but it sure seems to talk the talk. click me

Well, I am in on this (hopefully), I was told in e-mail that they are expecting a couple more back from watchsmith next week. I asked them to hold one for me, that was at about 5:30 EST. If anyone else wants in on these, you may want to hurry as it seems like there are not a lot of these left.

Whithout a doubt it is not a gen case, I bought one of these from Girard about 6 Months ago when he claimed 100% authentic then I sent it back. Everything is rep with the exception of the movement. I emailed him back with links (mostly ebay as I recall) of a few other watches with the same serial.

What is the tell that it is not a gen case Brian?

It felt unfinished and cheap, the lugs looked weird and the CG is way wrong. I was able to compare it to a gen 5513 that I owned at the time. The confirmation will be that the serials are not unique.

Edited by briank996

Whithout a doubt it is not a gen case, I bought one of these from Girard about 6 Months ago when he claimed 100% authentic then I sent it back. Everything is rep with the exception of the movement. I emailed him back with links (mostly ebay as I recall) of a few other watches with the same serial.

Well Brian...at $275 you get a nice movement, decent dial, Gen style case and bezel assembly that quite honestly, does a better job as a 5513 base for modding than the MBW.......know why?..........because the MBW has a channel under the bezel for a gasket and the Gen 5513 does not.....that's why.

A little case work to smooth the edges and a decent insert is all you need. I recall that the lugs accept Gen bars and the crown/tube is pretty close.

Too bad for anyone who hesitated......a great deal to say the least.