When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

comments on my new tudor franken?

chris5264

Ok,,,I picked this up after a bottle of nice wine (at least I think it was pretty good). It was 275 (usd) and my take was that it was a decent deal. I think the movement may be original, it is keeping good time, doesn't hack, is a slow beat, and the winding gears don't look Asian (but who knows?). The bezel and dial and possibly case are all franken but still not bad however it looks strange the the crystal goes over the case as opposed to sitting within and I found it interesting the case o-ring was so dry it broke when I tried to remove it (yes,,,I need another one).....any comments are appreciated as I am no expert in this area.

could be a $30 rep or pretty good,,,,,can't see how we can be so intoxicated we can't make good judgments but can still remember our credict card numbers.

005az8.jpg

007eb9.jpg

008dd7.jpg

009xf8.jpg

006ij8.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice find! Can't read the movement # below the balance- 248x maybe- but it looks like an old ETA to me. There are reps of the Tudors out there, but this one looks good to me. Pearl on the bezel insert looks suspect, but it could be the lighting. The crystal should go over the case, but should have a retaining ring which also holds the bezel assembly, I believe. For $275 it's not a mistake and could be a very nice score.

Nice find! Can't read the movement # below the balance- 248x maybe- but it looks like an old ETA to me. There are reps of the Tudors out there, but this one looks good to me. Pearl on the bezel insert looks suspect, but it could be the lighting. The crystal should go over the case, but should have a retaining ring which also holds the bezel assembly, I believe. For $275 it's not a mistake and could be a very nice score.

Thanks,,,,I might remove the glue and find an insert for the crystal....yes,,,has a ring that holds the bezel assembly but looks like it was glued to the case and came off when I removed the bezel. After a second look I was curious about the rotor,,,,,,I'm not even sure how I could get this off.

here are some more pics

010rx4.jpg

011kt0.jpg

The insert, crown and case are definitely not genuine.

But a real nice find anyway. Tell the seller that there's a market for him at RWG (if he can source more for that price). The caseback looks familiar. The watch might be something similar as the one that I used to own. Check this.

Mine was MBK-based rep and I believe yours is too.

The insert, crown and case are definitely not genuine.

But a real nice find anyway. Tell the seller that there's a market for him at RWG (if he can source more for that price). The caseback looks familiar. The watch might be something similar as the one that I used to own. Check this.

Mine was MBK-based rep and I believe yours is too.

The dial is aftermarket as well (but a pretty good repro), though I am not sure about the case (judging by the way light reflects off the inner walls of the lug engravings, I would say the case is gen - modern laser etching does not reflect light). But the movement is either gen or someone put in ALOT of time & effort to make it look gen - good enough to fool me. I am putting my money where my mouth is - I just placed my order.

Here are some gen pics to compare (Mazzariol is 1 of the authors of the Daytona 'bible')

52-4.jpg

52-2.jpg

360a_3.jpg

Guest carlsbadrolex

OK< this could pull me out of retirement...

Someone want to PM me with instructions to pick one of these up and something even close to the mentioned price?

T

OK< this could pull me out of retirement...

Someone want to PM me with instructions to pick one of these up and something even close to the mentioned price?

T

:rofl:

Glad to see that you have come to your senses & retired the retirement.

Welcome home CBR. :)

Hmmm... Movement looks like a 2483? That's just a guess....

:good:

@Chris: interresting that you found this one :D

Let me guess...Is the inside of the case back stamped with lV 68 ?

good quess,,,I'll take a picture later,,,at least the movement is keeping great time and looks to be gen. Looks like one of my wine induced buys wasn't so bad after all...

This Tudor Sub rep looks very similar to what memeber madmacs69 had post ed about earlier this year, see here http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...riner&st=40

At the time he/she had obtained a couple of samples and posted pics, they were to be about $500 - $600 and I wonder if Chris's rep is from the same source. Madmacs69 has not been here since June appparently, but it's tempting to send a PM to try and find out more.

Since Eurotimez is a source for MBW/MBK, can this be sourced through them? If it is indeed a MBW/MBK type case, then Chris got a great deal on it.

Cheers B)

Yes, it does look like madmacs'. Either way, for the price of an average rep, at the very least, you get what appears to be a gen movement (I think the case may be gen too). That makes it a great deal in my book & I hope to receive mine in a few days.

Chris - is the serial number (between the lugs) 726514?

Yes, it does look like madmacs'. Either way, for the price of an average rep, at the very least, you get what appears to be a gen movement (I think the case may be gen too). That makes it a great deal in my book & I hope to receive mine in a few days.

Chris - is the serial number (between the lugs) 726514?

Mine is not that serial Freddy. It's 777356.

But yes, according to my latest information the ETA 2483 is genuine and the case is good to very good.

I have no idea if the case is gen but I would really suprised.

It's an Oyster from Rolex and honestly it doesn't look genuine to me. But again, I'm not very good in that game.

For sure, if everybody is having a different serial, then it might be a gen case.

But that would be incredible...and we should buy them all.

TudorProjectBase_800_06.jpg

Interesting about the serial number, Stephane. :g:

It is impossible to tell, for sure, if the case is gen based on the pics. However, the movement does look gen (or, at least, it looks like a high end ETA due to the perlage) & that is the most expensive part, so it would not surprise me to find that the case is also gen.

But, whatever it is, for the price, I do not see how anyone with an interest in vintage Rolex can pass it up. I remember when madmac's pics were posted, some of us thought it would be a great deal for $250-$300. And, what do you know, Chris comes up with what looks like the same (or very similar) watch for exactly that price. So my order went in last night.