When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should I have sold?

stilty

So the other day I was out for a quick bite at the mall food court minding my own business. It was vintage day, so I was wearing my Franken 1016.

A gentleman approached.

Him: "Nice watch, looks like an old one there."

Me: "Yes".

Him: "Can I look at it?"

Me: *hold up wrist and let him look at it.* It did not leave my wrist.

Him: "Wow! I've been looking for one like that. I'll give you $1500 for it."

Me: "Sorry, not interested in selling"

Him: "Come on, I really want it, I can give you $2000. There is an ATM over there, I'll get you cash right now!"

Me: "Sorry, not interested."

Him: "I'm serious, I can give you cash right now! It is only worth $1500 to $1700 tops. I'll give you $2000 cash, right here, right now."

Me: "Sorry"

Him: "You sure?

Me: "Yes, I'm sure."

FIrst off, I don't like discussing $$$ with my friends and family, let alone strangers in a mall. But was this guy ever pushy. He either knew watches, and figured he could pull a fast one by thinking I was naive, or he was going to roll me in the parking lot later. If he knew watches, he would know that 1016's range in price from $3500 to $9000, so maybe he was trying to get it for a deal.

Not a comfortable situation.

Should I have sold it, since he was trying to pull a quick one? It cost me about $1100 to build, not to mention all the time researching, finding the parts, test fitting, and building a hybrid movement.

What would Jesus do?

If you didn't want to sell, then you did the right thing :)

I think if he was going to roll you in the parking lot, he'd've done it anyway (why give someone money just to mug it back from them?) Maybe $2000 was all he could drop that quickly. If it cost you less than $2000 to build, then it would've been a profit, but, I quite understand your point that the effort which went into it is worth quite a bit more than pure dollar value. If you feel you did the right thing, then you did do the right thing :good:

He didnt even ask if it was gen? Ive been in a similar situation and didnt do it but this guy sounds like he deserved it since he thought he was screwing you...maybe you could have said "I cant guarantee all the parts are OEM" that would be a enough of a disclosure IMO.

No, he didn't ask if it was gen. It was a weird situation. He was just so pushy about it. I do doubt that he was going to roll me, but you never know. I do think he was trying to get it cheap though.

I was asking hypothetically about selling as the opportunity to sell has passed. My immediate reaction was no. But looking back had me thinking, if he was trying to lowball, then it would serve him right for dropping 2K on a franken. But karma can be a [censored] and I would get mine as well. Or worse.

Anyway, if the day does come for me to sell, I will be offering it to my friends on RWG first. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

It was the right choice not to sell, two wrongs don't make a right.?

Correct.

Karma would eventually catch up with you.

Not necessarily. Lots of assholes die rich. We should do the right thing for no other reason than that it is the right thing - not because of some fear of karma or hell or some other form of cosmic or divine punishment. There is no merit in acting out of a fear of consequences.

Correct.

Not necessarily. Lots of assholes die rich. We should do the right thing for no other reason than that it is the right thing - not because of some fear of karma or hell or some other form of cosmic or divine punishment. There is no merit in acting out of a fear of consequences.

I agree.

I sold my Pam 253 rep to my buddy at work. He plays poker all the time at Caesars and one night a guy playing poker next to him offered him 7 grand on the spot for it. Like Fakey said though, and I agree, it is amusing to get these offers, but dishonest to go through with it. Who wants to be looking over their shoulder for a few bucks? Not worth it.

Guest carlsbadrolex

I would have told him he had 5 seconds to get as far away from me as he possibly could before I pulled out my P226 and showed him how BAD of an idea it was to ask about my watch...

But then again, Im an over aggressive, self centered jerk!

First of all you can't get $2,000 from an ATM. the max is like $750 for security reasons.

Yeah, never thought of that. My accounts are limited to $1500 daily each. I can only take out $800 at one time. So if I want the full amount, I have to do it in two transactions.

Guest carlsbadrolex

The ATM limits are not always imposed... I was once in a bind after bank hours and needed $2k cash quick. My room mate at the time reminded me that MOST gentlemans clubs over ride the ATM limits by actually working as "purchases".

This is done by going to the ATM machine, entering your PIN and amount needed. It then spits out a receipt that you take to the club manager who scurries to the back and removes the requested amount of cash from his drop safe.

Of course, when I did this the manager expected me to spend the money in his club (so I requested $2100)... It was an enjoyable 30 minutes or so!

T