When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Possible New Dealer For Mbw

Linder

Ok, if you can't see the difference between selling an MBW and selling a regular rep, ask yourself why TTK doesn't sell them. No, even better, let's ask him:

MBWs come with a lot of baggage. How can you not see this? Get King to deal in them if you can: I know you have good links with her.

selling new bentleys comes with having to provide alot of customer service also but it pays well. i have only one transaction with king and it was excellent but that is all. i think you mean ruby. i asked her about it and she has no information or contacts for them. he was testing the waters with those prices he threw out there. i told this person that i would try to set that up if he would give me the contact information and he did not respond. he is wanting to sell because he knows there is a market for them. as far as it being a pain in the rear? you have to like dealing with people to deal with them on a daily bascis so that term lots of baggage is subjective. some dealers are better at this type of thing than others. now with all of this said, for the 3rd time if somebody will send me the proper information i will talk to her about it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a legitimate question. When I first saw EL's new pics, I could tell his new watch was going to be very nice.

For me, the allure of the MBW is all about the 440 stainless steel. As a young lad growing up near a few handmade knives, all the legendary blades I can recall were made from 440 stainless for their longevity of being able to keep a sharp edge.

To me, this added hardness and durability translates into a watch that should be more scratch resistant. When I combine this with the nickel-free 440, being able to wear my watch during the summer months makes the increased cost worthwhile.

However, I can easily see where a $100 watch would be more fitting for others. MBWs are certainly not for everyone.

Linder, there are serious doubts that the MBW case is forged from 440 SS due to its magnetic properties. This was discussed in thread recently.

My take is that MBW uses and has always used the TW best case which is reportedly 316L. This is the same case used on EL's TW classic line and his top line LV. There was a time when the MBW's were there only cases available without the side case holes but that is no longer the case.

BTW, I have the TW best 16610 (old model with side case holes) and that is one heck of a heavy & rock solid a case. No need to worry about its long term durability. :D

Cheers

Linder, there are serious doubts that the MBW case is forged from 440 SS due to its magnetic properties. This was discussed in thread recently.

My take is that MBW uses and has always used the TW best case which is reportedly 316L. This is the same case used on EL's TW classic line and his top line LV. There was a time when the MBW's were there only cases available without the side case holes but that is no longer the case.

BTW, I have the TW best 16610 (old model with side case holes) and that is one heck of a heavy & rock solid a case. No need to worry about its long term durability. :D

Cheers

maybe you are correct. i have a tw best from el and it is very different from my cn subs. i have not held a mbw in my hand and granted it is hard to see everything in pictures but i have tried to compare and they appear to be the same. on the other hand i've never seen anybody that put gen parts on a tw best. i wish this person luck with his venture. maybe it will work.

I've watched this from the sidelines until now but thought I'd share a thought or two...

Firstly, I was approached by Linder only last night asking whether I'd broker this "MBW for the masses" whole shebang. I politely declined of course :whistling:

Now it seems, 12 hours later the whole shebang has come together and gosh, a new dealer's section is opening soon. :brow:

Now I'm not doubting Linder's enthusiasm or intentions (nickel allergy? go gen or buy a Ti watch), just that this whole thing seems a little out of kilter to me, not dodgy, just strange. $500??? Customer service??? Direct factory contact? Endless supply of MBWs???

As Ubi said earlier, MBWs are available to some, just very hard to source - small circle of 'collectors' or 'friends' - always been the policy and I don't see why they (maria, george etc.) would change it now? Doesn't make sense. Also, IMO only the vintage pieces (1680, 1665, etc.) are worth their salt so to speak.

Personally, if I wanted an off-the-peg modern Sub or SD of the best quality, I'd just speak to Eddie :D

I've watched this from the sidelines until now but thought I'd share a thought or two...

Firstly, I was approached by Linder only last night asking whether I'd broker this "MBW for the masses" whole shebang. I politely declined of course :whistling:

Now it seems, 12 hours later the whole shebang has come together and gosh, a new dealer's section is opening soon. :brow:

Now I'm not doubting Linder's enthusiasm or intentions (nickel allergy? go gen or buy a Ti watch), just that this whole thing seems a little out of kilter to me, not dodgy, just strange. $500??? Customer service??? Direct factory contact? Endless supply of MBWs???

As Ubi said earlier, MBWs are available to some, just very hard to source - small circle of 'collectors' or 'friends' - always been the policy and I don't see why they (maria, george etc.) would change it now? Doesn't make sense. Also, IMO only the vintage pieces (1680, 1665, etc.) are worth their salt so to speak.

Personally, if I wanted an off-the-peg modern Sub or SD of the best quality, I'd just speak to Eddie :D

I can attest to Mr Eddie Lee, he is the best. I have an TW Classic Sub on order and will post pics and do a little review once it arrives to me.

But for MBW, I agree

You may be right, but due to past experiences, I doubt that an EL or Andy or Joshua without mods are so solid and accurate than a MBW. At least, my modern MBW 16610 is waterproof (swimminpool diving, yes) and accurate to -15 secs/month. To ensure that accuracy and waterproofing you have to pay an extra of 125 USD to Joshua + shiping, and you are paying near those 500$ (I paid 360USD for my MBW). And no mention about rehaut.

Now I'm not doubting Linder's enthusiasm or intentions (nickel allergy? go gen or buy a Ti watch),

According to several post I have read here and other replica boards the gen uses 904L which has twice the nickel content of 316L. It gives the added luster when polished.But very bad for nickel allergy.

Another hat in the perfect ultimate best Sub ring . . . and we STILL can't get one good SD rep, or a perfect ultimate best Sub with correct crown guards, bezel insert (every sub rep I've seen including TW best is more curved than gen) or SEL's. I welcome competition . . . all I can say is, for $500 that better be a pretty good perfect ultimate best Sub.

And I still think it's a flat-out bad idea to operate this business from the US. The road to lost reps is paved with good intentions.

Guest overboosted

If you can afford to spend $500 on a replica sub, it may be time to start looking into a used gen sub.

For vintage watches it may be a different story :)

I can´t see the point why this thread is already that long.... :g:

It´s "all talk, no walk" so far.

@ linder

Come up with some of those nice 1680´s and the 1665´s we´ve seen

from luckyyy.

What I have seen so far these are the only MBW´s worth paying a premium.

Who cares about the rest?

I will say, I believe the days of $360 MBWs may be over. My cost with tracking is considerably higher than the old retail cost. I think this may partly be due to the dropping dollar versus foreign currency as my cost is not in dollars, but I also feel I am being charged for my demand of shipping with tracking as well as better communication on the factory end.

If you can still find one for the old price, I would jump on it immediately.

Luckyyy was actually doing less than that if you asked him for help due to the high WU fees. I'm just surprised the shipping cost is more than $30 I guess, since apparently that could be knocked off with no problem and profit remaining.

Cray

I will say, I believe the days of $360 MBWs may be over. My cost with tracking is considerably higher than the old retail cost. I think this may partly be due to the dropping dollar versus foreign currency as my cost is not in dollars, but I also feel I am being charged for my demand of shipping with tracking as well as better communication on the factory end. If you can still find one for the old price, I would jump on it immediately.

Sorry but that's not true, maybe for some maybe not for others. Don't take this the wrong way Linder, but I think whoever you're dealing with can see you coming...a mile off.

Sure the euro is strong compared with the wimpy dollar, but if I'm brutally honest, I think your demands etc. convey a certain naivety that stands out, hence the high price. Sometimes playing hard to get instead of eager beaver can serve you well transaction-wise.

I do believe your intentions are good in wanting to source these for others, albeit a little misplaced perhaps. I hope you prove me wrong, and that when the "floodgates open" as you say, it's not in the negative flaming sense, you are sticking your neck out in a big way if you proceed with this, and I cannot see what your motivation would be, I mean it's not as if you'll make much money, is it?

If you can afford to spend $500 on a replica sub, it may be time to start looking into a used gen sub. For vintage watches it may be a different story :)

Overboosted has a good point here.

Edited by docblackrock