When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

lanikai

Ziggy lume :D .. CG mod .. gen. Crown ... gen. tropic 19 crystal .. if you think the insert is too faded.. it's cause I did it.. :p

There is one thing that needs to be done.. when I feel the courage... it needs some dents in the case and scratches in the crystal.. :mellow:

this is not the gilt dial that makes the dial look more vintage .. but I like it jus the same..

thanks in advance for viewing.. B)

1517rolex001xb1.jpg

1517rolex009qq0.jpg

1517rolex008iu0.jpg

1517rolex014ef1.jpg

1517rolex020vb4.jpg

What was missing.. was a Black Zulu Strap.. wow.. it really brings out the beauty of Ziggy's lume and improves the overall Look .. the silver in the bracelet jus does not match.. IMO

1517rolex031zt9.jpg

1517rolex022eb1.jpg

1517rolex029mw5.jpg

Definately the Zulu or Nato for this one..

Wow, congrats to both the owner and the builder! Simply gorgeous! Wear it well :)

Thanks JJ.. and DP.. wonder if theres a way to "stain" the white font and ticks.. I'm tempted to do that on another dial.. there is a blemish on the dial from MBK.. Chris of course is replacing it.. so I may try the hobby shop and see if the white cannot be stained to give it a vintage look.. the white jus looks to "new"..

Ziggy's work is alway's masterful .. if not for his lume .. well,.. the dial would look so plain.. B)

Another winner by The Master himself. :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: Congrats and wear it well R!

Now I'm missing my 5517 project that is disassembled and in pieces :bangin:

I must give credit where My $$$'s ... go... twas your 5517 "AGAIN" .. that had me in a trance and then sourced the custom hands.. etc... the Monte Carlo will stay your one of a kind though .... *thank you G .. he say's to self...$$$$$$*.. :)

There is one thing that needs to be done.. when I feel the courage... it needs some dents in the case and scratches in the crystal.. :mellow:

I cannot agree more with you Lani.

A great vintage watch have to show it's experiences in life!

Ditto the above. If you decide to vintagize the case, I would leave the crystal pristine. There is nothing wrong with having a fresh crystal installed on an old watch. It happens every day.

Well, Freddy, you are right.

But I just scratched the gen crystal of my 1680.

Serious scratches!

It was not intentional, but I love it even more now.

Ditto the above. If you decide to vintagize the case, I would leave the crystal pristine. There is nothing wrong with having a fresh crystal installed on an old watch. It happens every day.

Well, what I've decided to do is let the 5517 age naturally .. since my 1680 and 1665 DSRD have taken on many scratches.. I remember almost each one and now the timepiece has it's "own" history with me..

Have you ever scratched your Daytona's freddy?.. with your sense of "order" and pristine vintage watches .. I'll assume you hyperventilate, and break out in cold sweat with any sign of scaring on the watch :rolleyes:.. a little OCD .. humor.. :)

chefcook Posted Today, 04:46 AM

IMO a 5517 should have fixed bars (welded in) - see here: http://doubleredseadweller.com/mil_sub.htm

This makes sense since the 5517 seems built for Nato or Zulu straps.. so do tell us when "you" build your 5517 and can post pics of your welded bars.. B)

I will leave mine as is for versatility.. :)

the 5517 goes nicely with all the colours of the Nato and Zulu's

1517rolex038at1.jpg

Well, what I've decided to do is let the 5517 age naturally .. since my 1680 and 1665 DSRD have taken on many scratches.. I remember almost each one and now the timepiece has it's "own" history with me..

Exactly.

Have you ever scratched your Daytona's freddy?.. with your sense of "order" and pristine vintage watches .. I'll assume you hyperventilate, and break out in cold sweat with any sign of scaring on the watch :rolleyes:.. a little OCD .. humor.. :)

No scratches, but I am very careful with the Daytonas & only wear them when the risk of damage is minimal. I have scratched other good watches though & while I cannot say that scratches do not raise the tension level a bit, I do not lose sleep over the normal bumps & grinds my watches pick up from natural wear.

That is a sweet watch.

The green NATO strap really matches the military look of that watch.

Wear it well. :)

• 3 months later...

lani, could you please give more details: what dial and case you used for this project?

do you know if there is a case with fixed lug bars that takes gen crystal and crown tube/crown (and is not a gen or NDT)?

if you are interested in a bit more accurate ETA hands, they are here:

http://www.mkiiwatches.com/WSWrapper.jsp?mypage=209e.html

What a beauty, Lanikai! :)

This is the first time I have since a 5517 on a bracelet - what a world of difference.

I suppose you used a different casing as the 5517 offered in the rep-market comes with fixed lugs.

5517 was definitely meant to be on a Nato strap but your project has since changed my perception.

Military Masterpiece indeed.

Edited by Pre V