When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally finished my 002 Pre-A

ubiquitous

After having sourced a number of nice bits and parts (HUGE thanks to my buddy kruzer) and with the release of FGD/rmc's fantastic dials, one of my all time favorite PAMs has found it's way into my collection.

This particular project started with the case. After much begging and pleading, I managed to get my grimy mitts on a fantastic Jimmy case set thanks to a kind and generous friend. My original plan was to build a PAM10D, but when the new pre-V and Pre-A dials were released by FGD, all of my plans came to a halt with an abrupt change to follow accordingly. I had a nice Swiss 6497 left over from a different watch project which fit the bill nicely and also had some hands. BK gave me a much appreciated assist with sourcing the caseback (thanks, sir) and before long, I had almost everything I needed to set my project in motion. Unfortunately, and as with most any project of this nature, there were some small hurdles that needed to be sorted. The casetube was just a slight bit too tall, and I also needed to source a Tap10 6497 stem to fit the crown. So, off to Ziggy it went, and in the meantime, I packaged the guts up in an old DSN PVD case I had sitting around (though not before toning down the finish to a gun metal grey by using a cape cod :) ). After a very brief visit to the Ziggy spa, I had the case in my hands again with the crown tube modified, the CG lever tightened up (wow, what a difference!) and packaged with the stem I needed. Movement, dial and hands were then transferred over from the temporary case to their new home :)

For the past month and a half, the watch looked like this :)

IMG_6249.jpg

Old, abandoned shelter:

IMG_5689.jpg

And onto the new...

-FGD Pre-A 002/009 dial fitted to an old trimmed down DSN dial base

-DSN hands

-Jimmy case, bezel, crystal

-Unknown CG with tightened lever

-Kruzer crown

-DSN 6500 caseback

-Ziggy modified stem

-Dirk 2nd gen PAV90 style strap (logo buckle)

IMG_5099.jpg

IMG_5149.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5174.jpg

IMG_5190.jpg

IMG_5201.jpg

IMG_5514.jpg

IMG_7093.jpg

IMG_7121.jpg

IMG_7161.jpg

IMG_7179.jpg

IMG_7194.jpg

I've been enjoying this one on a very regular basis as of late. Quite a lot of fun to wear, and a pleasure to look at.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

R

Hey gang :)

Thanks as always for the very kind words! This one has been a fun project with the help from friends... The best way to do a project!

The most difficult and challenging part of this one was to get the dial lined up nice and straight. This took a couple of attempts, but I think I finally have it to a point where my OCD isn't going completely berzerker:

IMG_7085a.jpg

Since finishing, I've enjoyed this watch on a near daily basis. It's a very handsome piece, and I have to admit- I have indeed been bitten by the PAM bug!

IMG_7313.jpg

Cheers!

R