When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Let's see your GMT's and Explorers!

By-Tor

Newbie question: Were the 80s Pepsi Subs smaller? Aren't they all one size?

Reason I ask is that the watch looks tiny on Selleck's wrist. Having IMDB'ed for his height, I see he and my father are precisely the same height. But dad's gen Sub covers nearly his whole wrist, and doesn't look small compared to this photo.

Of course, men of similar heights can have different body builds, and Selleck's wrist could be very big, but still...

@TMG: Yay! Lovely pic, is that watch yours?? I think I'll rip off your Che idea, giving it my own spin. Stay tuned. ;)

All 1675's are 40mm Vic, Selleck must have gorilla wrists :lol:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I can finally post my Explorer pics, By-Tor! Won't you and Nanuq be surprised. :tu:

Silix Rolex Oyster Perpetual Explorer (Ref. 1016)

rolexexplorerimukkafg8.jpg

rolexexplorerfacejs1.jpg

rolexexplorerdomedplexiez2.jpg

A difficult watch to photograph to get just the right non-reflective shots. But beautiful! :wub:

(However, this is my first domed plexiglass rep watch and am I glad I got it. I don't think I would like the PAM 249 that much)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not a Rolex guy, so please forgive this question, but do any of these GMTs work as GMTs? I suppose they can't function like the genuine GMT Master because of the movement that Rolex uses, but I'm curious.

Thanks.

Yes, the correct hand stack version operates exactly like the genuine. The hour hand moves in 1 hour jumps, and the hands set exactly the same way. Technically, the modified 2836-2 only pretends to be a GMT movement, but it operates exactly like the Rolex caliber 3185. However, the date change follows the 24h hand on the rep.

I wrote a small article about the rep faux GMT movements. See it here.

@vic: Great choice! ExpI is an excellent replica.

@Stephane: Fantastic ExpII of course. This goes without saying. Feel free to post more pics of it.

Since this thread is still alive... here's a few photos I've taken of my Franken-Explorer II.

dial.jpg

1.jpg

2-1.jpg

@Stephane: Fantastic ExpII of course. This goes without saying. Feel free to post more pics of it.

I will BT, I will.

As soon we have some sun here -_-

Congrats on your watch too and these last photos are just ...incredible.

Beautifull, really. And that genuine white dial is growing on me...as my wife like white watches.

I migh build a white ExplII. It's very sexy for a girl.

Cheers

Stephane

In regards to my explorer BY-TOR is incorrect. The orange hand simply displays the time in 24 hour mode and does not operate in a GMT mode. It is unlike both the GMT MASTER and THE GMT MASTER II as well as the Explorer II produced after 1985 or 1986.

Edited by striker27

In regards to my explorer BY-TOR is incorrect. The orange hand simply displays the time in 24 hour mode and does not operate in a GMT mode. It is unlike both the GMT MASTER and THE GMT MASTER II as well as the Explorer II produced after 1985 or 1986.

When I was talking about the "correct" hand stack version, I was of course referring to modern Explorer II and GMT II, which both use caliber 3185.

Gen vintage models have different hand stack, and don't have a quick-set hour hand.

Reps of the vintage models often have adjustable GMT hands, which is technically inaccurate... but no big deal, as long as you set the 24h hand properly.

PS: That's a beauty Harley!

@Stephane: Thanks man!!! :)

• 1 month later...

@ By-Tor and all:

There are some in Belgium but they are expensive.

I found one in the Netherlands, he is friendly and has some good prices.

I got mines from him.

Not everything is on his web site. If you have a special request/budget just send him an eMail.

www.subgmt.com

Cheers

Stephane