When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Most Expensive Watch You Would Feel Comfortable Actually Wearing.

I wore the TT datejust I received from my father regularly for about 3 years . . . it's about $6000 new these days. I never felt much risk since everybody probably just thought it was a Seiko or fake. Before I got into reps I wore my Explorer II as my daily watch, again not a big attention getter. Which is not to say I felt comfortable wearing either into dark alleys, but certainly not an issue for work, nights out etc.

I think people tend to make too big a deal with gens . . . a Rolex is like a nice car or anything else you treat yourself to . . . at first you're like "wow" but eventually it's just part of your stuff and you can either use it or not but you don't think much of it. Unless you way overreached with your finances when buying it in which case you probably shouldn't have bought it.

Agreed! When I bought my first gen I treated like I treated my car after I bought it... baby-ed all the way... and then I came to the realization that it's still just a watch and that I will surface scratch the bracelet on occasion. But just like having my car clay-barred, I can have my bracelet polished :-D

I had to make some adjustments to my insurance today anyway, and had a separate jewelry insurance added… it will cost me $9 a month for $15,000 of coverage (will cover loss, theft, damage, etc. at $0.00 deductable), at that rate I would be good with a $60,000 to $90,000 watch. Before this it was hard to wear a $3500 watch.

Haha.. five year old thread.. Brought back to life!!! Good one though!

I've had an AP, and the GEN price is well over $35,000. It's definitely a fantasy watch, but I have no problems wearing it. I don't cross circles with people that wear a lot of nice watches anyways. It looks nice, I wear it :)

to me, the question is not which value watch would i be comfortable wearing, but rather which value watch would i be comfortable buying...

in my profession anyone knowing watches wouldn't be surprised with me wearing a $5,000-$7,000 watch...

but i've said this before - anyone knowing watches would be more "surprised" by the number of high value watches (mostly reps and a few assorted gens) than a single watch...ie, wearing a $5,000 breitling rep one day, a $6,000 panerai another day, etc, etc...

geez, just the total rep value is staggering, ya know?!...

Holy old thread Batman :)

In the Opera World, I have seen some ridiculously expensive watches on these "divas" men and women.

Rolexes are the kings and queens of the opera. More diamonds the more merry apparently.

My Gen Skyland, is never questioned or even thought about in this world.

I did see a guy shatter a Yachtmaster when the strap he had on it ripped, he hung it on something.

That was priceless.

a Rolex is like a nice car or anything else you treat yourself to . . . at first you're like "wow" but eventually it's just part of your stuff

I couldn't agree more. This one goes everywhere all the time and I don't even think about it anymore.

dr_wabi.jpg

to me, the question is not which value watch would i be comfortable wearing, but rather which value watch would i be comfortable buying...

I agree with HackR on this point. If you are comfortable laying down the funds for any watch, then you should be comfortable wearing it. If I can afford it, and I am comfortable with buying it, then I am comfortable with the potential damage or loss. So I am going to wear it and enjoy it. Is that not why we buy Reps or Gens…to enjoy them (other then we all suffer from the same sickness)? :thumbsupsmileyanim: If it gets scratched, scratches can be polished out. If it gets dropped, it can be fixed. If it gets lost, that is what insurance is for. If someone is going to try to take it off my left wrist...there is a .45 on my right hip…but what are the chances of this ever happening unless you intentionally put yourself in a shady situation.

If you're gonna get mugged for your watch, they will take it whether it be an old timex or a 100K AP.

Basically don't be a numpty and wave your arm around wildly pretending to not show it off, don't flash to all and sundry at the bar and you should be ok.

Thieves do know a lot more about watches then ever before, there has been such a massive push on them in the last 5-10 years that people know whats what now.

Like most things in life, don't be a d1ck and it won't come back to bite you in the balls!!

Sixx :bones:

If you're gonna get mugged for your watch, they will take it whether it be an old timex or a 100K AP.

Basically don't be a numpty and wave your arm around wildly pretending to not show it off, don't flash to all and sundry at the bar and you should be ok.

Thieves do know a lot more about watches then ever before, there has been such a massive push on them in the last 5-10 years that people know whats what now.

Like most things in life, don't be a d1ck and it won't come back to bite you in the balls!!

That's good advice, bro :drinks:

Great advise! Hence my .45 comment above...as in Colt .45 ACP. :whistling: Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur

Come on Sixx, let me here it bro…you damn gun wielding Yankees. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

well, as long as it's not a modern Rolex or a PAM, I wouldn't worry about wearing anything that's not blingy. Especially if I'm wearing jeans and t-shirt, no one would even give a second glance what watch you're wearing. Most people I talk to think that vintage Rolexes are worthless and never even heard of Patek Philippe, which makes me happy because I can wear watches in peace. We all have our grail watches right? and they mostly cost beyond 5-6k. And what

s the point of owning it if you never wear it?

Off Topic: I'm drooling @ a pic of my grail ...

A patek ref.130, est $30 000 -$50 000, 33 mm, using a valjoux ebauche (but I don't seem to care b/c it's tradition afterall)

496.jpg

Edited by praetor

The funny thing is, when you see "Divas" and sports stars wearing expensive watches, they usually didn't pay for them. They're either on loan from the watch company or a gift in exchange for the promotion value of having a celebrity wear their watches. John Travolta is on the Breitling payroll, Nicole Kidman and George Clooney shill for Omega. Charlize Theron got the boot from Raymond Weil and was hit with lawsuit for breach of contract when she was spotted wearing another brand publicly. They had paid her $3 million to wear nothing else.

Since the watches are insured by the promoter, they really don't care if it's stolen or damaged - they just get a new one from the company. Even if it's a $50,000+ watch.