When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 assembled

Omega

Hi!

After some casework, like shaping and drilling lugholes and printing a new flat-top/open6-9 datewheel I put the parts together on a jubi-bracelet with gen endlinks. Also I relumed the dial and vintagize the hands...

But where I can get some correct minute and hour hands?

3a9cd088.jpg

Here's the info from TMG:

"The dial was aged and the 24 hour indices extended a little to the edge of the dial. A genuine T116 was installed (glued in place) as well as a set of vintage relumed NOS Omega hour & minute hands from Ofrei (stock# HAN-2752). The stock GMT and seconds hands were recycled and repainted in flat colors plus a vintage lume. The Omega hands are nearly spot on to the real deal Explorer II and really make the watch. The hands are never correct on any of the 1655 reps. To finish it off I have a gen 7836 folded bracelet fitted to it."

More details can be found in this post HERE.

You can also check for some comparison pics for reference in my 1655 thread linked in my signature.

Nice looking piece BTW!

Thanks my friend! That's what i need... ;)

Here's the info from TMG:

"The dial was aged and the 24 hour indices extended a little to the edge of the dial. A genuine T116 was installed (glued in place) as well as a set of vintage relumed NOS Omega hour & minute hands from Ofrei (stock# HAN-2752). The stock GMT and seconds hands were recycled and repainted in flat colors plus a vintage lume. The Omega hands are nearly spot on to the real deal Explorer II and really make the watch. The hands are never correct on any of the 1655 reps. To finish it off I have a gen 7836 folded bracelet fitted to it."

More details can be found in this post HERE.

You can also check for some comparison pics for reference in my 1655 thread linked in my signature.

Nice looking piece BTW!

Wow, nice job Omega!

Toad already answered the parts question and they do need some broaching to fit, but the Flight Master hands are dead on for the gen.

I have to agree with DBR, an Oyster bracelet is in order ;) . I'm not quite the purist like DBR though, the Jubilee seems at home on a 1675 IMO.

Wow, nice job Omega!

Toad already answered the parts question and they do need some broaching to fit, but the Flight Master hands are dead on for the gen.

I have to agree with DBR, an Oyster bracelet is in order ;) . I'm not quite the purist like DBR though, the Jubilee seems at home on a 1675 IMO.

Thanks TMG, the Oyster bracelet needs only a polishing of the link-sides and it is ready to be mounted. But IMO the Jubi is a nice addition to the lot of details on the dial. But I will mount it soon, promised... ;)

Great looking watch well done.

You say you printed a new datewheel (flat top 3). Is this a wheel that sticks on over the existing wheel or a whole new replacement wheel in one piece?

I ask because the stick on ones have a few glitches (in my experience) and if you were able to produce a one piece replacement wheel I think alot of members would be interested in buying some - if that were at all possible.

Great looking watch well done.

You say you printed a new datewheel (flat top 3). Is this a wheel that sticks on over the existing wheel or a whole new replacement wheel in one piece?

I ask because the stick on ones have a few glitches (in my experience) and if you were able to produce a one piece replacement wheel I think alot of members would be interested in buying some - if that were at all possible.

Thanks!

Of course it is not a complete datewheel, only a overlay. But I had never problems with them in past. You have only to center them correctly, thats all! And a few modifications on the space-ring between dial and movement...voila! ;)

Is there any way you can share the file used to print the datewheel??

It was not the perfect base, the scan was from a boysize Rolex. I sourced a gen datewheel now and I will make a 1:1 print which will be available in January. I hope I can find the right material for the overlays, because to make ready-to-install ETA wheels is not possible because the wrong date position, as you know for sure...

It was not the perfect base, the scan was from a boysize Rolex. I sourced a gen datewheel now and I will make a 1:1 print which will be available in January. I hope I can find the right material for the overlays, because to make ready-to-install ETA wheels is not possible because the wrong date position, as you know for sure...

This sounds like challenging project for sure. I think there may be some old ubi datewheels still hanging around; I've still got one left in my box. Perhaps Ubi could help with some advice for the proper material for the overlays.

Cheers,

JJ

hey guys, I'm expecting some brass blanks tomorrow. Took a while to source them and they had to be custom made. I was sent a few samples in steel and they look good. It is a difficult medium to work with. It is very thin. But a lot more stiff than paper or vinyl.

They will be pad printed, as gen. I'm also waiting for the machine shop to finish my jig to hold and support the blank for printing (expensive, yet necessary.) Also waiting for the cliche for the printer (another expensive part). I just hope with all this work and research, I get the results I'm looking for.

Stay tuned.

Keep me posted...if they turn out, I would be interested in purchasing one!!