When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Ulysse Nardin!

jot9011

Pretty funky watch but I think the placement of the lume upon the hour markers is a little imperfect. Some of them (4:00) look a little crooked... maybe it's just the angle of the photo.

I've always wanted a UN watch but I don't think I'll be getting this one, unless someone comes up with more convincing photos that is.

Also: I wonder how much this will cost?

Now I can spill the beans. That is the one I knew was coming but was swore to secrecy on. Looks pretty good at first glance. They did that because the A7750 is an easy fit obviously. The other good thing is the gen has kind of a fun, cheapy, cartoonish kind of vibe so it was always going to lend itself to repping well. A lot of UN purists don't like these watches as they think they are a little goofy or whatever. I'm on the fence about them. I ordered a rose gold one when they came out and sent it back. Didn't do anything for me. But alot of that had to do with teh gold. UN rose gold isn't very rosey - kind of more like yellow gold. But I don't know what I think of these. I wonder if this is it or if they will do the other dial and bezel combos and/or the bracelet. Some of them look more elegant than others. The rubber "bracelet" is the key to this particular piece so I hope thay nailed it. The gens are really nice straps! Anyway, I'm just happy that I'm not going to be the only one with a UN in the wristchecks anymore. Yeah! UN rules...

having handled the gen i must say details look pretty good but the finish and overall quality is very obvious give away imo. (for example: the ulysse-nardin stamping on ss part of the bracelet looks very cheap, its beautifully brushed and crisp engraved on gen, just like in pics)

for the rest i cant comment anything before i see in real life, but it seems like this is not going to be a super-rep at first sight.

I bought this with the black dial and sent it back. UN rose gold isn't that nice. Hublot rose is much nicer if you like rich looking rose gold. As I mentioned before, UN rose gold is not far from yellow gold really.

If you can love a Hublot BB, then this one is not that far a stretch. I prefer the red gold/silver dial version, but this one I like too.

diverchronorg2uf0.jpg

Not to mention that you said before you think UN's are ugly to begin with - even gens, so this rep probably won't please you. :D

UN fit and finish is going to be a tall order compared to many other super reps in my experience. UN's have that extra something that you see with VC, Patek, AP that is going to be pretty tough to get right feel wise. But I think this "looks" as good as anyone could hope for. Looks like they nailed it pretty good at first glance...

having handled the gen i must say details look pretty good but the finish and overall quality is very obvious give away imo. (for example: the ulysse-nardin stamping on ss part of the bracelet looks very cheap, its beautifully brushed and crisp engraved on gen, just like in pics)

for the rest i cant comment anything before i see in real life, but it seems like this is not going to be a super-rep at first sight.

Not to mention that you said before you think UN's are ugly to begin with - even gens, so this rep probably won't please you. :D

UN fit and finish is going to be a tall order compared to many other super reps in my experience. UN's have that extra something that you see with VC, Patek, AP that is going to be pretty tough to get right feel wise. But I think this "looks" as good as anyone could hope for. Looks like they nailed it pretty good at first glance...

i didnt say all UN's are ugly, maybe just yours :p (grey on ss is boring imo)

a friend of mine got a marine blue seal with wave pattern dial and its beautiful..but its not my taste

we have very nicely finished APROO reps, why not UN if there is enough demand (but not many people seem to like it)

Or either of these which tones it down a little...

0084_3.jpg

I like the blue one. I'm not a big fan of the red on the bezel with the black dial. It's funny how you described in your earlier post as it being cartoonish as that's EXACTLY what I was thinking. It looks like somebody was trying to copy an Alain Silberstein watch in the same fashion Concord copied from Hublot.

With the simpler colour scheme (either black bezel and dial, or blue bezel and dial) it captures elegance a lot more. I like the bracelet.

I'm kind of surprised this rep didn't get more attention on its launch given what seemed to be a ravenous UN rep appetite now for many years. I'm thinking maybe they made an error repping a very controversial model just because it fit the A7750 mold. I fear though that this watch won't sell as well as they hoped and then they will incorrectly assume that UN's are not so in demand and they will never do another one. They really should listen to us more. I think we have all known for some time that the move was to to The non-chrono Maxi Marine Diver with a few dial choices with the Seagull 2892 clone. No brainer, but now they may never do it. You all should take a few minutes to email your favorite dealer right now and tell him to tell the maker that there is higher demand for the MMD if you intend to pass on this watch. It would be a shame to lose UN attention from them for another 5 years because they picked the wrong alpha watch...

I think that's the problem, they have repped a the wrong watch. There are so many UN fans here, me inluded, but to me this is not the best option for replication. I love the uniqueness of the UN designs, but this is a little too unique for the mass market I feel.

I'm kind of surprised this rep didn't get more attention on its launch given what seemed to be a ravenous UN rep appetite now for many years. I'm thinking maybe they made an error repping a very controversial model just because it fit the A7750 mold. I fear though that this watch won't sell as well as they hoped and then they will incorrectly assume that UN's are not so in demand and they will never do another one. They really should listen to us more. I think we have all known for some time that the move was to to The non-chrono Maxi Marine Diver with a few dial choices with the Seagull 2892 clone. No brainer, but now they may never do it. You all should take a few minutes to email your favorite dealer right now and tell him to tell the maker that there is higher demand for the MMD if you intend to pass on this watch. It would be a shame to lose UN attention from them for another 5 years because they picked the wrong alpha watch...

you hit the nail on the head!