When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The One, the last watch, the ultimate decission. Has it to be a gen?

chefcook

Hello everybody,

last saturday I went into the local Omega AD and tried a Seamaster Planet Ocean in 42.5mm on. From pictures I alsways thought it is nice, but not more. I just went into the AD out of curiousity and because my fiancee wanted to try a ladies size Aqua Terra. She did not like the AT, but I fell in love with the Planet Ocean completely.

I actually have the strong feeling that this could be THE ONE, the last watch, the ultimate decission, the watch for everyday, everynight, every opportunity and the rest of my life. I don't know how that happened or how it is possible but I fell in love with the watch immidiately. It feels a lot better than both my gen Rolex Explorer and Submariner, the only watch in my current stable that comes close is my modded rep Panerai Luminor 111H. Every single piece on this watch appealed to me like none before.

The decision fell a few seconds after I left the shop: I need this watch.

Money is not the problem, with a little saving I'd be able to afford the watch in about three months. The AD offered it with about 15% discount and an additional rubber strap which sounds like a reasonable price to me. A pitty that I just bought a new flat for my fiancee and me - if not I would have bought the PO today.

At the moment I am thinking if it has to be a gen. A nice franken with all gen parts besides the movement and case would be about half the cost of a new gen. And it would be a lot of fun building it. But it just is not the real McCoy, not a watch I can give to the AD and say "fix it" if something occurs and maybe feels a little less quality.

The PO lead me to a nearly philosophic discussion in my mind. I am more than happy with my rep Panerai and my last franken Submariner (currently for sale to fund a Speedmaster franken with gen case and Lemania 1873) is at least as exciting for me like the gen.

So what would you do and with what reason? Please think of everythin but money - the lower price should not be a point in this consideration.

Thanks for your feedback,

M.

IMHO there will never be an Ultimate, The Watch. Our tastes change. I've thought many times that I've "finally got the Ultimate piece" only to find 6 months later, my eyes being drawn away by some tart on an orange strap. I went the same route with a P.O. and ultimately gave them both away. Yes they're wonderful, but no they were not The One.

It doesn't exist. Sorry. :)

Because watches are art as well as functional, your tastes are going to change. I bought my old Land Rover because I wanted the best 4WD out there, by engineering and performance standards. How it looks is way down the list of attributes. What matters most in a watch is how it...... (fill in the blank)

If your answer is not "works" then there is no Ultimate for you.

just my two shekels: given that you said think of everything but money, and your last sentence in the 1st paragraph below, go for it. If you're willing to spend roughly half the cost of it on a nice franken, plus the time, and time is money, then what the hey? The question I have is that 15% discount going to be good in 90 days. But again, it's not about $, and your answer lay in the last sentence in the first paragraph.

Hello everybody,

last saturday I went into the local Omega AD and tried a Seamaster Planet Ocean in 42.5mm on. From pictures I alsways thought it is nice, but not more. I just went into the AD out of curiousity and because my fiancee wanted to try a ladies size Aqua Terra. She did not like the AT, but I fell in love with the Planet Ocean completely. I actually have the strong feeling that this could be THE ONE, the last watch, the ultimate decission, the watch for everyday, everynight, every opportunity and the rest of my life. I don't know how that happened or how it is possible but I fell in love with the watch immidiately. It feels a lot better than both my gen Rolex Explorer and Submariner, the only watch in my current stable that comes close is my modded rep Panerai Luminor 111H. Every single piece on this watch appealed to me like none before.

The decision fell a few seconds after I left the shop: I need this watch.

Money is not the problem, with a little saving I'd be able to afford the watch in about three months. The AD offered it with about 15% discount and an additional rubber strap which sounds like a reasonable price to me. A pitty that I just bought a new flat for my fiancee and me - if not I would have bought the PO today.

At the moment I am thinking if it has to be a gen. A nice franken with all gen parts besides the movement and case would be about half the cost of a new gen. And it would be a lot of fun building it. But it just is not the real McCoy, not a watch I can give to the AD and say "fix it" if something occurs and maybe feels a little less quality.

The PO lead me to a nearly philosophic discussion in my mind. I am more than happy with my rep Panerai and my last franken Submariner (currently for sale to fund a Speedmaster franken with gen case and Lemania 1873) is at least as exciting for me like the gen.

So what would you do and with what reason? Please think of everythin but money - the lower price should not be a point in this consideration.

Thanks for your feedback,

M.

The PO is the watch I will consider for a gen, as the Ingy, once I'm done with Rolex.

That could take years though :huh:

You say "don't take money in consideration!"

I say "get a gen!"

And why not get it on the pre-owned market because saving some cash is always nice :p

I have a nice REP PO with double AR, genuine crown and tube.

It is a fantastic watch that I wear very often.

But...it's not the real deal ^_^

And I will NOT add a gen dial and bezel.

How many of our reps are running for years without any problem?

Recently I lost a crown (gen crown btw). :Jumpy:

As you say, I cannot enter an AD and say "fix it".

And what if no cool modder of our community can fix it? :shock:

A franken is a franken. It has some value in our community but nowhere else.

Take the 6.5K 1655 which some guy is trying to sell for months now...there is zero chance it would be sold ever unless a super new comer believes it's a 100% gen watch not knowing it is a 90% gen parts and a fake case :o .

Our hobby is about building reasonably priced franken. Not thousand dollars ones.

Ubi, Avitt, Aligoat, Freddy, Jojo, Kelster, RepAustria, Kruzer, Lani, Laz, Omega, SD4K, Yello, Tribal, TooMuchGear, Diesel, Ziggy

Its no secret that I haven't bought a rep in quite some time. For me, nothing but the gen will do when I really fall in love with a watch. Most of my gens started their affairs with me as reps though. Any watch can be the ONE really. It has nothing to do with the PO per se. It is what your heart decides. My collection has gotten smaller and smaller and my ONE really is covered by a FEW. But the concept is the same. All any man needs is a thing or two of great meaning to move his heart IMO. So to that end I have adopted the UBI mantra - quality over quantity. And yes, the PO is a very high quality piece. And take that from a guy who has owned a pretty good cross section of gens of high value over the years. The fit and finsh of a gen PO is superb and may be one of the best values around at that price. You should be able to get one for close to 30% off though if you push the right buttons. Maybe $2500 or so on rubber I would think. I have both the steel and rubber for mine and I love them both...

POa.jpg

PO1-1.jpg

...Any watch can be the ONE really. It has nothing to do with the PO per se. It is what your heart decides. ...

That is it, what I wanted to say - I did not want to discuss the PO in particular but THE WATCH (whatever it might be) for your heart and soul.

I think it is only a dream to find the watch that is it for the rest of ones life, but why not have it for a few years - lets see, maybe I'll really keep it until the end of days? I know at least two that done it. One is my father and his Submariner 1680, the other is my aunt and her Omega Constellation. She bought it in the early seventies and still wears it every day.

They got their heart and soul watches and IMO the longer they keep it, the more they love them. They tell storys about them and it seems it is something that reminds them of their own history and way of life. E.g. my father told me once that he cracked the crystal of his sub on the day I was born and he still has this cracked crystal in his cabinet.

For me it always was a clear fact that I need a Submariner like my dad. But when I had it it wasn't THE WATCH. I never had the feeling that it is the ultimate watch to have with any watch until trying the smaller PO. I don't mean, that it will be the last watch I buy - surely not. But I hope it will be the last on my wrist.

When you like it take it ;)

As some bloke in girly lingery stated: Don't dream it, be it ;)

I've allready checked the second hand market and to me it seems to be worth the extra money for the gen. Most second hands are not massively below 2K Euro when they come on a bracelet and actually most POs offered are the big size.

I think 'The One' watch is defined by its sentimental value to the owner, and has nothing whatsoever to do with gen or rep, cost or flaws.

For me, that watch is my 2531.80 SMP which I bought with inheritance money when my gran died. It's a rep, not a gen, has some flaws which a watch enthusiast could probably spot from across a room, but which would 'look nice' to a person passing in the street. For me, it doesn't matter that it's a rep, because of the money used to purchase it, and even a gen replacement would not have the same sentimental value as the rep, simply because it would not be 'my original watch'. I hope that's of help :good:

get the GEN PO 42,5 mm. I did that about 1 month ago. I bought it slightly used for 1.450,00 euro (around 1.900,00 USD) after a lot of negociations with the seller... It had box. papers, guarantees, 3 red cards& Im very very happy .

Its a diachronic (classical) watch that will gain value over the years.

Also it has the ''correct'' size.... Not too small & Not too large !!!

Edited by tigerdaytona

THE ONE watch exist...but in your mind..if you can learn how to stop wanting more and be happy with what you got. just get what suits you best and just keep it..stop digging for other watches

maybe retarded example but think like gf or marriage..you must be "connected" somehow..for example if in woman i look for character and pretty face for relationship, in watches i look for the brand name strenght, theme & design and if it suits my character or lifestyle...so AP in my case...rolex as second choice

These are words of wisdom from Iceberg. Less is more and the more you accumulate, one day you will realize that you don't want everything but just a few key items - and quality over quantity too.

More on all this as I think this is an interesting topic offshoot:

I used to have a closet full of long sleeve collared shirts - you know, not dress shirts, but casual/dressy type shirts to be worn out instead of tucked in with slacks or jeans. I had every color and fabric and style and they were the stuff you could get at any mall store - maybe fifty of them. Nice enough but they would wear out fast and they just didn't have that extra "something". I gave them all away and now I have just 5 really nice shirts - all Armani Collezioni and Zegna and they cost 4x as much as the others. But the quality is 100x more and when I put one on it just feels and fits and looks perfect. In the end, the cost is the same. Now I think nothing of spending $250 for a shirt, because before I would have bought 4 $60 shirts and never been inspired to wear them. The value in the end is higher and I haven't spent more. And I don't miss the extra variety. In fact, I find myself gravitating to three of the five I have now. Almost can't wait to put them on.

I have done the same with watches recently. I used to have 30+, now I have 6 and they are all world class. In the end the cost vs. reward isn't much different there either. If you don't spend $2500 on that PO, I guarantee you that you will probably buy 6 more reps over time with the same money and get sick of them or have problems or be bugged by some flaw or something one day all of a sudden or something. Then you would take losses on the sales and in the end, wish you would have just bought what you really wanted. Not that you shouldn't enjoy the reps too - I do and am about to do a vintage project - they have their place, but they won't ever satisfy that place and provide that gen-only feeling of pure perfection, workmanship, design creativity, history, etc. straight from the source. Which watch or watches is irrelevant...

Basically, I realized that whenever I try to be frugal or save money or cut a corner on anything in life - watches, clothes, cars, food, restaurants, etc., bargains always lead to disappointments. Life is too short. I want the best watch, the best shirt, the best steak, the best car, the best whatever I can afford - and not for status either. I buy nice things because they move me and I like quality. I love beef and I buy Prime Angus strips at $20 a pound from a boutique market. My fiance' can't taste the difference and says for that price I should have it served to me in a restaurant. I disagree. Any steak I get in a restaurant for that price isn't even worth eating in my experience. I am the type of guy that if my life turned upside down and I lost everything, I would always want to hold on to something that was of the highest quality. I would live in a cardboard box and wear a Vacheron before I lived in a mansion and wore a flimsy rep with a rickety Asian movement, crooked indices, sloppy lume, and fingerprints and dirt under the crystal all the while thinking how cool I was to be "beating the system" and not paying those inflated gen prices. But if I know all along that the quality is not there who is beating who? To each his own, but for me, like I said - life is too short...

THE ONE watch exist...but in your mind..if you can learn how to stop wanting more and be happy with what you got. just get what suits you best and just keep it..stop digging for other watches

maybe retarded example but think like gf or marriage..you must be "connected" somehow..for example if in woman i look for character and pretty face for relationship, in watches i look for the brand name strenght, theme & design and if it suits my character or lifestyle...so AP in my case...rolex as second choice

Tastes change. BUT, even if your taste change, connections you have to THE ITEM allow it to stay priceless to you.

This discussion goes beyond watches. As I get older, and I look back at these things and realize that I still have many items in my life that are/were "THE ITEM".

For Example,

My Tom Kuhn SB2. The best Yo Yo I have ever used. But more important, I received it from Tom himself. It was a great day, and all the feelings make the item that much more important and timeless.

sb2_polished.jpg

Another example, my Citizens Eco Diver that was given to me by my wife on our honeymoon cruise over the millennium, not the best watch by any means, but due to the memories attached to it, I will never part with her.

DSCN1112.jpg

The memories connected to these things solidify its status as THE ITEM for me. I wish you luck in your search.

I was trying to find something that was out of the ordinary as an example, not many people even know who Tom Kuhn is, let alone a SB2. His latest creation is the fat cat, some would say $120 USD for a YoYo is nuts, but they are making 500 and thats it. I dont want one, I have my dream YoYo and the memories that came with it. The YoYo is just the physical embodiment of those feelings and memories. Sorry if I am being too phenomenological. I am just a sucker for the experience.