When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Euromariner

bertieng

Sorry to say, but confirmed this is the case, at least in the bezel assembly part.

Tried to put on the gen. bezel ring, but it won't fit. Obviously the outer diameter of Euromariner retaining ring is too big. It needs trimming.

Then got the bezel ring sit into the retaining ring, and put on a gen. insert, the bezel will not turn!!! So, go ahead to sand down the height of the retaining ring to the minium acceptable level, try again but still no luck.

Now really looks like after spending all the money on the gen. parts I am left with an useless Euromariner - not mentioning the hours of works spending in doing all the mods, dissemblings and assemblings.

If I go back to the bezel ring comes with the watch, all the problem may be resolved but then the gen insert will not sit recess.

Has anyone been putting a gen. insert onto the Euro bezel ring and managed to get it sit recess?

Very much disappointed indeed.

I still can't figure out what exactly is the problem here even after reading the simialr review on this topic by Stily. Somehow I am sure the problem lies with the Euro retaining ring.

I know it has more or less the same thickness, but it must be the cutting in between the retaining ring has different thickness vs the gen. The matching is just not right for the gen. bezel, and it is not a simple mod that can be done at home without the proper machines.

Hello,

it was never mentoined that the assembly is 1:1 its like the real deal....

To install the gen bezel the bezel must shaped a bit inside to fit the Retaining Ring...

Some Members did it to fit the gen Bezel....

I remember that W.Genzo had the same problem but his watchmaker solved it by sanding the Gen Bezel..

Hope this helps....

@bertieng,

I have no knowledge of this particular mod, however, have a look at where the bezel sits on the different crystals.

I do a fair amount of crystal replacement, and invariably run into problems when a new crystal is fitted.(and a bezel exists)

Different height....marginally different radius on the crystal top edge.... can be enough to "bind" up the bezel movement!

Worth an investigate!

Offshore

euromariner and wm9 sub have for the most part exact measurements as gen. For example you can fit a gen crystal or an entire gen bezel assembly (retaining ring is a part of the bezel assembly) to them. When it comes to parts that need precise fit (bezel assembly is one of them), you can't mix and match different manufacturer's pieces without mods.

-bk

If I go back to the bezel ring comes with the watch, all the problem may be resolved but then the gen insert will not sit recess.

Has anyone been putting a gen. insert onto the Euro bezel ring and managed to get it sit recess?

Very much disappointed indeed.

I did manage to get a genuine bezel insert to snap into the Euro bezel. It's not the nice recess of the gen assembly, but it was a positive snap in with no glue. Then I sanded down the top of the Euro retaining ring- it was very easy to do- just put a piece of 320 wet dry down on a flat surface and kept sanding the top down- moving in a circular motion and varying my hand position to keep everything even- no more than 3-4 minutes- sanded to the point that there was hardly anything left of the thin top part of the retaining ring. After that I assembled everything and it worked fine. Pressed the retaining ring on, installed the click spring and flat washer and pressed the bezel on with the insert already in it. Worked fine.

The next time I was at the watchmakers, I had him pressure test it- put the watch in the tester, pumped up the pressure, waited for a couple of minutes, relieved the pressure and right as he was about to lower the watch in the water, the crystal popped off! Luckily he didn't dunk the watch in the water! So it failed the water/pressure test for the time being.

As Tribal says, and Stilty's pics show, the Euro is 'like' the gen assembly. But it is not a 1:1 copy and you can't necessarily swap out various parts. But it still looks good, IMO, especially with the gen insert.

nm, just saw the link----what part do you sand?

here's the part you want to sand

retainerfrontzq6kl3.jpg

may I offer another possible solution?

couldn't you just sand down the inner portion of the bezel insert that is touching the retaining ring?

dsc0221jx6.jpg

and anyone know the thickness of the clark crystal 295c2?

The euromariner's clark crystal that it comes with is looking mighty tall as BK had pointed out a loooooooong time ago.

:(

@cht,

That's the correct mod. If you stick with the rep bezel then by just sanding down the retaining ring should do the trick. But in case of putting on a gen. bezel just this mod will not work since I have already sanded down the retention ring to a flat level.

Bear in mind the inner lower part of the gen. bezel has less depth cutting than the rep bezel, or put it in this way, the teeth on the gen is thicker than the rep.

OK, you guys have left me in the dust...but, I'm just starting a euromariner-based project to give to a friend, so I probably ought to know what to do.

Is it correct to say that if you have an entire bezel assembly you won't need to mod anything?

I have a MBW LV perported to have a gen bezel installed (two respected experts have confirmed). I have euromariner on order. I have a WM insert. A couple Q's:

--Since the bezel has been installed onto a MBW case does it mean that it is likely so altered to fit that it is unusable for the Euromariner project?

--If I sourced all parts of the gen bezel assembly--bezel, ring, etc--will they fit in the Euro case w/o mods?

--If I have a gen bezel, no need to mod the WM insert, right?

Sorry to sound dumb (which I am to be sure) but any help from one of you pros would be much appreciated!

Hey Arch,

Yes, you can fit a genuine bezel assembly on a Euro. I did it. Please see this LINK. It show a comparison as well.

-- I don't know if the gen was modded to fit the MBW LV. Hopefully not

-- If you source a gen assembly, no mods required to fit the Euro case

-- Gen bezel, the WM should just snap in

@cht,

That's the correct mod. If you stick with the rep bezel then by just sanding down the retaining ring should do the trick. But in case of putting on a gen. bezel just this mod will not work since I have already sanded down the retention ring to a flat level.

Bear in mind the inner lower part of the gen. bezel has less depth cutting than the rep bezel, or put it in this way, the teeth on the gen is thicker than the rep.

So, with a gen insert, sanding down the retaining ring should be enough to make the insert fit?

But the gen bezel will not....

Is the only solution to purchase a gen retaining ring?

Edited by cht

So, with a gen insert, sanding down the retaining ring should be enough to make the insert fit?

I believe so

But the gen bezel will not....

Is the only solution to purchase a gen retaining ring?

I will say this is the best option. Sanding down the gen. insert is quite some work, and it is easily damage the edge of the insert

I found a good solution to fit the gen insert recessed.

You must press the outer lip of the bezel a bit down.

Take a piece of wood or some other stuff and press on

the top of the bezel, that brings the outer lip a bit inside.

Grind the gen bezel insert down on the edges.

After that press it in the bezel and it's nice receded on it.

Than install the assembly and the Insert don't go out of the

pressed lips.

You can see on the Pics its nicely recessed on the Bezel ;)

dsc017969445777ns9.jpg

dsc017979463374to8.jpg

dsc017999490927eu6.jpg

Hey,

That looks great Tribal!

However, I'm not following you on your method.

Are you saying to take the bezel insert, set it on the table, and flatten it a little with something?

What are you grinding the insert with?

Which edge, the inner one?

Thanks!

^^^probably the case...

My euro has been a disappointment from the day I opened it unfortunately...so the need to glue my insert doesn't surprise me.

Other members have had superior quality tubes and crowns compared to my euro that were sent out in the same batch.

Mine missed qc, maybe has something to do with all the problems...

Though it would have been nice to get a euro where things worked as they should, I have learned a lot!