When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Okay, Collectors... What's Your Top 3 Watches In Your Collection? And Why?

ubiquitous

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say my top three are as follows:

Omega Planet Ocean (4th Gen Orange) Just a beautiful and fun watch to wear and a real close rep to the original. Worth the hype!

Breitling Navitimer (fighters) The reason I got into reps in the first place, but one of the last I purchased. Nice dress watch and not too much bling.

Panerai 111h just plain and simple beautiful watch, streamlined and elegant, very versital with many strap options.

Hard to pick three, but as of now those would be it.

Edited by Steve G

As the original poster, I'll play along too...

1) My franken 16520 Daytona with El Primero 400. At the top of my list for accuracy in both aesthetics and function, and easily one of my favorite watches I've put together. As close to genuine as you can get without buying the real deal.

92533-27967.jpg

2) My DW 6263. My 2nd favorite for accuracy and aesthetics; currently getting some heart surgery :) Some nice genuine parts fitted, and very close to genuine.

92533-27968.jpg

3) My MBW 1665. My 3rd favorite, and one of my favorite daily beaters. Simple, durable, a glutton for punishment and fitted with a ton of genuine parts.

92533-27969.jpg

(1) TT sub in my avatar.....................Why.........I bought it off D.L. Gates :thumbsupsmileyanim:

(2) 192 Pam.......................I just love the look of it.

(3) JLC fantasy..................a really cool looking watch.

Ken

I don't buy many watches, just the ones I absolutely "need".

1. Omega Seamaster

If I had to choose just one rep to wear (that would be SAD) for the rest of my life I'd probably take this one. Not flashy, not blingy, not very much "in your face" watch, but has extremely good quality, is accurate and is built solidly enough for a rep to take some occasional abuse. This one never bores me. It's always refreshing to put it back on after a while after "this month's hottest watch". Goes well with a suit (didn't Bond use it with suit too?) and is dressy and sporty at the same time.

92538-27964.jpg

2. Omega Speedmaster

This is another "stealth watch". Watches with white dials are very understated on the wrist. This doesn't get noticed like the PO or Breitling but is very classy and has high quality feel all over it. And besides, it's nice to have one hand wind watch in your collection.

92538-27965.jpg

3. Rolex GMT Master II

I have a sentimental bond with the GMT. Always admired my father's genuine red/black Master so I need one for myself. The only Rolex I could consider buying a genuine of. The rep is very good... it offers nice variation (when you exchange the bezel to Pepsi and back every now and then).

92538-27966.jpg

Planet Ocean 4th Gen would be the next on the list. It looks fantastic, but is a bit garish to wear with a suit. Black version is probably better all-around watch. Still love my orange, it's very sporty and it goes really well with the sporty clothes I often wear.

These are hard decisions. I love and wear all the reps I currently own. I know Omegas and Rollies are kinda unimaginative choices, but what can you do... I like them. ;)

Good topic.

Edited by By-Tor

These three watches are all iconic in my opinion, but all for different reasons.

The IWC GST Chrono isn't as well known outside of the replica crowd, to be honest, but it's a stunning example of 7750 goodness. The Titanium case is excellent and it has the best designed metal strap of any watch. I was tempted to put the MoonWatch in its place, because it is by far more iconic and it went to the bloody moon; You just can't beat that, but the GST is my personal favourite chrono. I'd buy a gen in a heartbeat if I had the cash.

The Rolex Submariner is ... come on, it's a Sub. This is the latest incarnation of the classic design that launched a thousand wanabees. Think Bond and his Aston Martin, tux and babes.

The Panerai PAM 111h is a perfect example of a classic Panerai. It doesn't look like a tuna can with alphabetti spaghetti on it, and it just isn't trying too hard. This watch is the watch yuo can dress up like a barbie doll in its little straps and buckles, giving you a watch for all occasions, almost.

92539-27961.jpg

92539-27962.jpg

92539-27963.jpg

This quiz would have been a bit easier to answer a few weeks ago -- since then my top three has become my top four.

The top three right now are:

IWC GST in stainless steel with a white face :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Panerai 192 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Seamaster SMP GMT (the new kid on the block as of last week) :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Just barely out of the top three is my VC Overseas, also in white. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Great topic, difficult decision...

1. Omega 007 - the original hard to get ones with the 2892 movement and almost perfect everything. Great looking watch, understated, beautiful bracelet (Rolex could take a lesson from Omega), not too big or too small.

2. PAM 188 - original model, silver dial, first generation 7750 and all the warts. Why this one? Simple, it was serviced right after I bought it, and after 18 months of use and abuse, I still can't get it to break or fail, and believe me I have tried and tried. It looks nice, works perfect, and was good value for the money.

3. MBW Yachtmaster - great fit and finish, beautiful dial, and the one that gets the most comments as a striking watch. It looks good, works good, and is simply a beautiful piece. Bracelet is almost as nice as the Omega.

RG

Edited by ziggyzumba

Only 3? let me think...

#1: 116520 (my dream watch since I was 16)

92572-27947.jpg

#2: PAM111H (not of my taste till I bough the fist EL's 111H, actually gets more than 60% of my wrist time)

92572-27948.jpg

nice on that Dirk's shark no?

#3: not easy, but my DW or your 1665 ;)

92572-27949.jpg

1. AP Royal Oak Jumbo. Built very well, an awesome bracelet and finishing is good.

2. Panerai 187. Something about this piece speaks volumes to me. Maybe it's the sheer weight or size, but anyways it's one of my top watches. I love how it attracts attention and how well it is built.

3. Panerai 029. I love this out of all the GMTs Panerai has made, the rest are too busy, even the 063, the 029 has a simple dial and a great bezel. Since it has the same movement as the genuine, I love the replica even more. Modified, I'm going to love it even more.

Oops! I just read the first post over again

1. Breitling Bentley GT. White dial is virtually indistinguishable from the genuine. I wish the sub dials were a little greyer silver but this one impresses everyone who sees it.

2. Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow Automatic. Finest bracelet of any replica I have. Subdials are off but not too much else.

3. Rolex Submariner from Paul. 2836 movement, deep, steep angled rehaut, excellent hour markers, good cgs, incredible mag on cyclops and $119. The price and the quality in combination put it here. It is head and shoulders above the mass market $175 submariner from 3 years ago.

Honerable mention. Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch with Venus copy movement. An icon among genuines and replicas. I still wish the rep factories would put a rotorless asian 7750 in these with an accurately engraved closed caseback. The subdial position would be the only issue and the watch would need to be hand wound like the genuine and would have a functional hour counter at 6 pm.

#1 on my list has to be the Omega Seamaster Pro with black dial. I wear it weekly. It is a beautiful watch, has the best SS bracelet on the market, it is super comfortable, great weight, etc. etc. Owning more than 20 watches these days, it still gets more wrist time than any other.

92586-27942.jpg

#2.

Pam Daylight with SS bracelet - 47mm - kinda big for my wrist - but everytime I wear it I get compliments.

In spite of its size, it feels good on, and it too, is a handsome watch. I used to wear it with a leather strap, but ordered the SS bracelet after a few weeks, and I think it makes the piece even nicer. By the way, #4 would have to be my 187 Black Seal (with recessed pin) that I have on a beautiful Europelli Cordavon leather strap.

92586-27943.jpg

#3. Sure.... Rolli vintage sub. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't love it.

92586-27944.jpg

I agree with the other posters that the 111 is a fabulous piece, but it seems I have become a Diving...Chrono...kind of a guy. And then there are dress watches. First watch I ever bought, and still love is the Cartier Tank. But then that is what makes the world go round...So many fine watches...so little time to wear them all.

Edited by jeff g

Hard choice for only three.

1. 007 Original run with 2892, nearly as perfect as a rep can get.

2. 029 Again very close to original (Daily Beater)

3. Seamaster 300 black another from the old supply, very, very close to genuine.

Soon to be, DW 6263 with transplanted heart (VJ 72)

1. Gen Exp II Black Face My wife gave this to me as a wedding present. Its engraved with a special message and our wedding date.

2. Gen Tag 1500 Black Face I got this watch after graduating high school and I still love the looks. It has been through so much with me. Diving in Bahamas, Jamacia, Mexico, St. Lucia, Bermuda, & St. Admin.

The watch has been serviced 2 times in the 12 years I have had it and still keeps awsome time and gets comments.

3. Omega PO Black Face from TTK I love this watch looks and feels great. I have had it sealed and have ordered an orginal clasp.

1. Rolex 1665 (Watchmaster) - #1 in quality, ability to upgrade with OEM parts, domed acrylic crystal with shiny :wub: bezel that has a "cool" profile, vintage "tool" watch look, comfortable size, rich DRSD Rolex history, EXTREAMLY desireable by collectors, steel bracelet or NATO strap options, It's always on my wrist! :D

92598-27941.jpg

2. Panerai 5218-201/A (non-matching) - The "LOGO" dial is just a work of art! Hand carved looking crooked numerals with the brownish orange patina :wub: WOW!

3. Rolex 5513 - The original "sub". :whistling:

The only watch I have now is the 1665, but the 201/A and 5513 are on my NEED list!

Cheers,

Brad

Edited by ridnwind

Great thread! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

My faves:

MBW 1665 white letter with OEM goodies installed. A total pain in the rear end to finally source the parts but darn, this finished product looks fantastic. :wub:

MBW 1665 double red. It took me a long time to finally get a hold of this guy. Strong sentimental value on this one. T-39 superdome and OEM vintage insert are waiting impatiently to be installed. :)

TW best 16610. I bought this one to give as a gift but the moment I strapped it on the wrist, I know it wasn't going anywhere. Even with it's dial inaccuracies, this watch feels as rock solid as the gen. I drilled the case holes/bracelet (my first mod attempt) so I'm a tad attatched to it. While not my favorite, it gets as much wrist time as any watch I own.

Admin, good thing that you pulled the ad on your 2893 Pam 029. :D It is a fantastic watch!

Added:

Not to leave out the ladies, my wife's favorite is her Pam 063 2893 & a nice assortement of straps. Her gens have been collecting dust in the watch box since this big guy arrived.

Jet

Edited by Jetsons