When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Beginning of the Week Wrist Check

dluddy

Sorry, guys, I'm still wearing this one :o

DSCN0609.jpg

Although I did swap the caseback which was on the case (which says "Rolex Oyster - Original Gas Escape Valve" with the plain one from the Silix Vintage sub which also provided the dial) ;)

Lucy, you got some splainin to do

It's my Dad's watch D. He has three Rolex genuine; 1680, 6263, and Day Date 1830? I'm guessing there, I never paid attention to the Rollie 'dress' watches.

But, when I first came to RWG in '04 it was after a conversation I had with Dad regarding his last will. He didn't want to bog down the document catagorizing a lot 'personal effects' which he really didn't have that much of. He just let it be known I would be getting the 1680. Coincidentally I was spammed from 'onlinereplicastore.com' soon after and thought it would be a good idea if I got a 'paste' 1680 to wear when I finally took possession of the precious gen. on that sad occaision. That experience brought me to RWG.

Over the five years I have gleaned a wealth of 'Rolex' knowledge from the boards. I shared that interest with Dad, bought him a Joshua 16610 for a laugh, and like a lot of us just started waxing horolographic. I did the research on the 6263 shared that with him, and unbenownst to me, he decided to leave me the Daytona as well, thinking that made more sense than leaving it to his wife merely because it had a lot of collateral value. It was understood she would just have, and be welcomed to sell it off as part of his estate. This watch should be an heirloom.

This week-end my Dad was making his annual pilgrimage through Daytona to Key West from New England. He wearing a simple G-Shock. After dinner I noticed he had changed into the Daytona. I was surprised as he stopped wearing the watch decades ago, it being an old anniversary gift from my mother who had passed in the seventies. He took it off then and just kept it in a drawer. After I joined RWG and learned of the lore of the Daytona I would ask him to bring it and the Sub out for a wind up every Summer when I would visit him. The occaisions always ended with him; "They'll be yours someday". I told him how hard it would be to wear them as the Sub is synonymous with our getting our Diver's certificates together, and the Daytona always on his wrist, me watching as he manipulated the controls of his airplanes. Just 'growing up stuff'. He thought that was [censored] and laughed over it. I think he decided to give me the Daytona early as to give me a chance to get used to having it and the opportunity to thank him face to face. Him being an old Scot and war horse wears very little on his sleeve to emotion, gestures speak volumes and it just meant a lot to both of us with very little said.

So, how's that for thread crapping your 'wrist check' ? :D . I will have to submit the bracelet to the membership some other time for particulars and help sussing it out. It's strange. I know the original bracelet ID should be 78350 or similar, known as a 'fold over' solid mid link? But this one can't be original. It's certainly hall marked 'Rolex' and bearing the coronet on the clasp, but cannot find a stamping for model number, it's fold over, indeed, but rivetted, with a rivet type I have never seen; hollow ends, not solid like a pin head. The stamped end links are per the era, but fit horribly. They may have been damaged. My father was never 'easy' on anything. Anyone. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. A 'changeout' would not be out of order though. This watch, originally, was bought with a Panda dial (he still has it), switched because my father couldn't read the subdials flying approaches, and too the dial of the 1680 was swapped at the AD after a dive with the crown screwed out. Not good. :D Originally I belive it were a "Red" Submariner, now it's White. <_<

It's my Dad's watch D. He has three Rolex genuine; 1680, 6263, and Day Date 1830? I'm guessing there, I never paid attention to the Rollie 'dress' watches.

But, when I first came to RWG in '04 it was after a conversation I had with Dad regarding his last will. He didn't want to bog down the document catagorizing a lot 'personal effects' which he really didn't have that much of. He just let it be known I would be getting the 1680. Coincidentally I was spammed from 'onlinereplicastore.com' soon after and thought it would be a good idea if I got a 'paste' 1680 to wear when I finally took possession of the precious gen. on that sad occaision. That experience brought me to RWG.

Over the five years I have gleaned a wealth of 'Rolex' knowledge from the boards. I shared that interest with Dad, bought him a Joshua 16610 for a laugh, and like a lot of us just started waxing horolographic. I did the research on the 6263 shared that with him, and unbenownst to me, he decided to leave me the Daytona as well, thinking that made more sense than leaving it to his wife merely because it had a lot of collateral value. It was understood she would just have, and be welcomed to sell it off as part of his estate. This watch should be an heirloom.

This week-end my Dad was making his annual pilgrimage through Daytona to Key West from New England. He wearing a simple G-Shock. After dinner I noticed he had changed into the Daytona. I was surprised as he stopped wearing the watch decades ago, it being an old anniversary gift from my mother who had passed in the seventies. He took it off then and just kept it in a drawer. After I joined RWG and learned of the lore of the Daytona I would ask him to bring it and the Sub out for a wind up every Summer when I would visit him. The occaisions always ended with him; "They'll be yours someday". I told him how hard it would be to wear them as the Sub is synonymous with our getting our Diver's certificates together, and the Daytona always on his wrist, me watching as he manipulated the controls of his airplanes. Just 'growing up stuff'. He thought that was [censored] and laughed over it. I think he decided to give me the Daytona early as to give me a chance to get used to having it and the opportunity to thank him face to face. Him being an old Scot and war horse wears very little on his sleeve to emotion, gestures speak volumes and it just meant a lot to both of us with very little said.

So, how's that for thread crapping your 'wrist check' ? :D . I will have to submit the bracelet to the membership some other time for particulars and help sussing it out. It's strange. I know the original bracelet ID should be 78350 or similar, known as a 'fold over' solid mid link? But this one can't be original. It's certainly hall marked 'Rolex' and bearing the coronet on the clasp, but cannot find a stamping for model number, it's fold over, indeed, but rivetted, with a rivet type I have never seen; hollow ends, not solid like a pin head. The stamped end links are per the era, but fit horribly. They may have been damaged. My father was never 'easy' on anything. Anyone. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. A 'changeout' would not be out of order though. This watch, originally, was bought with a Panda dial (he still has it), switched because my father couldn't read the subdials flying approaches, and too the dial of the 1680 was swapped at the AD after a dive with the crown screwed out. Not good. :D Originally I belive it were a "Red" Submariner, now it's White. <_<

What an awesome story :)

Out of curiosity, who's the person in your avatar?

6263 Gen.

6263.jpg

Lord have mercy... a horological seismic event. :notworthy:

The open-ended rivets on the bracelet just mean it's the Brit version of the piece... the USA version had closed "pin" heads, if I remember correctly.

As for the endlinks fitting poorly, your photo shows endlinks that fit exactly like those on my 1680. Completely thrashed and worn out, flattened looking like that. It's possible to get new 19mm end pieces, but I bet you'll like the look of the originals better. I have spanking new endlinks on my 6536 and they fit the case perfectly, but it looks TOO nice... y'know? It should look like it really is 50 years old.

Congratulations, my friend. Coming from your father like that makes this piece absolutely irreplaceable. Wear it well.

Lord have mercy... a horological seismic event. :notworthy:

The open-ended rivets on the bracelet just mean it's the Brit version of the piece... the USA version had closed "pin" heads, if I remember correctly.

As for the endlinks fitting poorly, your photo shows endlinks that fit exactly like those on my 1680. Completely thrashed and worn out, flattened looking like that. It's possible to get new 19mm end pieces, but I bet you'll like the look of the originals better. I have spanking new endlinks on my 6536 and they fit the case perfectly, but it looks TOO nice... y'know? It should look like it really is 50 years old.

Congratulations, my friend. Coming from your father like that makes this piece absolutely irreplaceable. Wear it well.

Thanks B, I'm purdy much flat out in denial that I own this watch. As you say; from where it came certainly, but also because so many of you, whom I have admired here for years have gens. of this notoriety. I feel like I have joined the 'club'. And it sure as heck 'aint the 'genuines club' either B)

Also thanks for the heads up on the particulars..................'hollow' rivet ends, who knew! That would make sense! I'm sure this watch was bought in Tortola British Virgin Islands when my folks would gather with the Brit contingency on vacations. Plus no import duty :D . Point of interest; my Dad thinks my Mom paid a little over $400usd originally around 1973-75. :huh: Being a first generation 'Merican Anglophile it makes it all the more precious..............cool. No, I wouldn't replace anything on the watch. It is a little beat up, but every dent tells a story. Maybe in time all will be revealed.

Thanks again.

@T'J

We can just call the girl in the avatar "B", as that is all I have ever heard her referred. It is an avatar ( past grilfriend) from a long since departed RWG1 member 'rya' who, as my many years junior taught me a lot about navigating online with respect to 'open forums' such as these. The most important of which being; do not let the disparity of our own views, whether political, religious, or social more`, even to the point it goes to heated argument, get in the way of enjoying ourselves and each other; i.e. flame that damn Neocon's underwear in that "Off Topic" politcal thread, help that same person source a nice Daytona in "General Discussion". "Petty" is a waste of good Karma. I keep "B" around to remind me. Plus I'm shallow. The girl is hot!

@T'J

We can just call the girl in the avatar "B", as that is all I have ever heard her referred. It is an avatar ( past grilfriend) from a long since departed RWG1 member 'rya' who, as my many years junior taught me a lot about navigating online with respect to 'open forums' such as these. The most important of which being; do not let the disparity of our own views, whether political, religious, or social more`, even to the point it goes to heated argument, get in the way of enjoying ourselves and each other; i.e. flame that damn Neocon's underwear in that "Off Topic" politcal thread, help that same person source a nice Daytona in "General Discussion". "Petty" is a waste of good Karma. I keep "B" around to remind me. Plus I'm shallow. The girl is hot!

Awesome policy to take with things, and I completely agree with it :good:

I hope the GMT Sub meets with your approval after all this time it's taken me to actually show it properly :lol:

She is indeed, and reminds me of Diva Zappa, and I just wondered if it might've been some kind of modeling shot of her :)

Ah, the old Rya avatar. It brings back a lot of vintage thoughts.

I know exactly what you mean about looking at your wrist and thinking "there is no way I should be wearing this piece." I've had the same poignant sense of denial twice, and in my case, the original purchase prices were appallingly low.

I hope the GMT Sub meets with your approval after all this time it's taken me to actually show it properly :lol:

Certainly does. I well remember the impetus discussions back on RWG1 regarding this piece. I do think too a GMT dive watch a missed opportunity for Rolex's line. As if Jacques Yves Cousteau never crossed an international dateline? As if. Watch your 'copyrights' T'J. There's a lot of 'infringement' going around these days. Hard to believe, harder to notice, but it's there, trust me. :lol:

Edited by Demsey

Certainly does. I well remember the impetus discussions back on RWG1 regarding this piece. I do think too a GMT dive watch a missed opportunity for Rolex's line. As if Jacques Yves Cousteau never crossed an international dateline? As if. Watch your 'copyrights' T'J. There's a lot of 'infringement' going around these days. Hard to believe, harder to notice, but it's there, trust me. :lol:

Fantastic story on the 6263...amazing. It's so nice when an heirloom like this can be passed to someone who appreciates it's non-monetary value, and not just its "trade value".

I'm glad you like it :) Hopefully, V2.0 will be better, and 'more consistent'. I hadn't originally planned to use the vintage dial, but I lost concentration while enlarging the center hole of the dial from the original Submariner, and overdid it a bit... Fortunately, I had the other 'spare' that I could use, and overall, I think it's come out nicely :)

I know what you mean, to me, GMT is a function that can be used by many disciplines, so shouldn't necessarily be limited to dive watches. As for copyrights, if they want to use it, well, it wouldn't be the first time a corporation would have stolen creative work from me and not paid me :lol: