When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Giving Thought to the Collection "Layout"

RobbieG

So I got to thinking about my purposefully shrunken collection and my motivation to have just one watch in some broad categories I have layed out for myself. The idea being that if I ever got tired of or found what I thought was a cooler replacement for the category I would simply sell the current one and replace it as opposed to adding more and dupliating. For purposes of this discussion I have done it as follows and I'm sure you all have your own layouts as well:

Now:

- One piece in the black bezel/black dial sports watch category - for me it is the PO at the moment but could be a Sub, etc.

- One piece in the sliver/grey dial polished/brush sort of blingy sports watch category - UN MMD but could be YM, etc.

- One piece with a GMT complication - UN Dual Time 42MM - the ultimate GMT IMO technically and has a bonus of a big date complication

- One piece in the chronograph category - IWC Aquatimer in Ti at the moment

- One piece in the braceleted dress watch category - DJ at the moment which will probably evolve to a DD soon

Yet to come to complete the collection:

- One elegant, understated strappped dress watch - leaning towards VC Patrimony Traditionelle

- One perpetual calendar - UN perpetual w/ GMT is the coolest I have seen at any price and is reasonable as far as PC's go.

- One minute repeater - ditto on the UN - the anamatons are the nuts

- One special edition watch - leaning toward the Jubilee IWC vintage Aquatimer

So that is pretty much it for me forever once I eventually complete it. The expensive stuff is yet to come so the rest will take some time but at least I have an idea where I want to go and it gives me something to work for. BTW, you will notice the tourbillon is absent. I never really got excited about a balance. LOL. I find them a little boring - except the Breguet Double with the rotating dial. I much prefer a complication like a perpetual calendar and GMT which is I feel much higher an art form from a design perspective.

Anyway, this brings me to part two. For me it is rare that I am loyal to a brand in terms of crossing categories. I tend to usually just like one or two watches from one category from a brand. For example, nothing that IWC makes really knocks me out other than the Aquatimers which I find so cool I can't get enough of. Or Omega where I only really love the PO. Or Rolex where I only really love the DJ's and DD's.

But I find myself continuously enamoured with UN from a design/quality/value standpoint. I just realized that doing this post and remembering that even with my very limited collection I have two of them very purposfully because I feel they are the best in class for each of the categories.

-I feel the MMD is just the coolest bezeled dive watch at any price. This coupled with the most unique marine history of any brand as a bonus.

-I feel their GMT complication and patented forward backward date inclusive pusher system is the best in the industry.

-I feel their perpetual calendar GMT is the highest most amazing complication to be found at its price point by far.

-I feel that their minute repeaters are the coolest in the industry by far with their gold animated figurine dials.

- The Freak, The Royal Blue sapphire dialed tourby. Need I say more. Innovation wise nobody comes close...

All that said, I realize that the one brand in my mind offers the best in dive, GMT, perpetual calendar, and minute repeater classes for the cash which I never realized until just now.

So having said all that two questions for you guys:

1. Do you have some sort of plan for your collection in terms of covering certain categories that interest you? And if so, what are your categories?

2. Do you find yourself drawn to any one brand purposefully or accidentally as I have been that you find makes the best watches to your taste for multiple categories - and as I said do you find that in many cases you only like one watch across a whole line quite frequently?

I'll look forward to all the different opinions as always.

1. Do you have some sort of plan for your collection in terms of covering certain categories that interest you? And if so, what are your categories?

The overall theme for my reason for collecting watches, is 'movie related'. If a watch appears in a movie or TV show I've enjoyed, then I might get one for my collection. At one point, I was having several (non-movie related) watches simply so I would have the 'different occasion' watches, but, after a mental spring cleaning, I can't really be bothered to keep changing watches with my wardrobe, and, while I will always want to keep my 'movie related' watches, they will simply be collection pieces rather than 'wearing watches'. With regards wrist time, I just want to have one watch I like, and wear that. I think that 'One Watch' will likely be the GMT Sub V2.0 I plan to build in about 6 months. It will look exactly like I want it to look. It will do everything I want it to do. I would have no need to wear any other watch...

2. Do you find yourself drawn to any one brand purposefully or accidentally as I have been that you find makes the best watches to your taste for multiple categories - and as I said do you find that in many cases you only like one watch across a whole line quite frequently?

The brand which I am most drawn to is Omega. I like a great many of their watches, where other brands, I might only like a few particular models. With regards the watch I'm building, I'm building a Rolex, simply because Rolex seem to lend themselves more to 'customized pieces'. While I could build a GMT Seamaster, it would not have the 'vintage feel' which I want for the watch, where the vintage Rolex dials, are exactly the dials I am envisaging. The feeling I'm getting, is almost one of recreating a watch from 'that era', but as it would be if it were being made today, with modern materials, and by 'that era', I mean mid-late seventies in Marseilles (a city I've never visited, but feel a strong connection to :huh: ) and worn by someone in the diving industry.

[Edit to add]

First ever concept mockup of the GMTCSub: (Note, this was the first time I used this graphics package, with the tools on default settings, and just to get an idea of how it could look, rather than a polished, final piece of work :) )

GMTSubV20.jpg

That's great Pho. Thanks for your in depth thoughts on this matter. I have enjoyed them immensely. You can get back to your Dr. Seuss book now. LOL. You kill me. No wonder I quote you in my sig, huh. In the meantime there are some pictures here in another thread for you to pleasure yourself to...

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=85202

The overall theme for my reason for collecting watches, is 'movie related'. If a watch appears in a movie or TV show I've enjoyed, then I might get one for my collection. At one point, I was having several (non-movie related) watches simply so I would have the 'different occasion' watches, but, after a mental spring cleaning, I can't really be bothered to keep changing watches with my wardrobe, and, while I will always want to keep my 'movie related' watches, they will simply be collection pieces rather than 'wearing watches'. With regards wrist time, I just want to have one watch I like, and wear that. I think that 'One Watch' will likely be the GMT Sub V2.0 I plan to build in about 6 months. It will look exactly like I want it to look. It will do everything I want it to do. I would have no need to wear any other watch...

The brand which I am most drawn to is Omega. I like a great many of their watches, where other brands, I might only like a few particular models. With regards the watch I'm building, I'm building a Rolex, simply because Rolex seem to lend themselves more to 'customized pieces'. While I could build a GMT Seamaster, it would not have the 'vintage feel' which I want for the watch, where the vintage Rolex dials, are exactly the dials I am envisaging. The feeling I'm getting, is almost one of recreating a watch from 'that era', but as it would be if it were being made today, with modern materials, and by 'that era', I mean mid-late seventies in Marseilles (a city I've never visited, but feel a strong connection to :huh: ) and worn by someone in the diving industry.

See, this is what I love - a completely different approach to collecting and making choices as to what do do now and in the future. Very interesting. I would also like to see you go through with that project. Shouldn't be too hard really. a GMTC rep case and bracelet. Maybe brush the center links. Mix and match the Omega and Rollie hands - maybe even use a red GMT hand instead of green.

i feel at this point my collection is more or less complete. in fact, i really should get rid of some watches that i hardly

ever wear. presently, i have about 52 watches- 18 or so gens. its really kind of a pain because i use at least 2/day. even at that rate it would take about a month to go thru the collection. some guys are worn more than others obviously. i tend to favor Rolex and have at least one of almost all the models, including 3 gens.

that being said- i'm sort of hooked on this whole thing. i keep looking and i'm still buying. i had my eye on the gen UN MMD like Robbie has. i ended up with the

new rep from Josh, chrono version at present. i guess i'll wait for the new UN coming this winter

the left gens, middle reps, right -new UN

post-12024-1231903783_thumb.jpg

post-12024-1231903815_thumb.jpg

post-12024-1231903943_thumb.jpg

That's great Pho. Thanks for your in depth thoughts on this matter. I have enjoyed them immensely. You can get back to your Dr. Seuss book now. LOL. You kill me. No wonder I quote you in my sig, huh. In the meantime there are some pictures here in another thread for you to pleasure yourself to...

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=85202

ADD :)

did I really say that quote? I gotta lay off the crack pipe

Initialy I planned to collect all possible reps of the Rolex Submariner :huh:

Then I moved to build "frankens" of all type of Submariners (5513/1665/1680/16800/16610)

Further I felt stupid to look at Rolex only. I started to buy every single watch that I liked.

I only have two categories now: 1. Everyday watch 2. Dress watch.

I'm not into complications at all. :p

The fact a watch tells me what time it is and what date of course is enough.

As you might have noticed, I grew up in the hobby and realised my personal line is Rolex Submariners/Sea Dwellers (Oh, really?).

So, while moving my other watches, I bought four gens: 16600/16610/16800/16570 replaced by a 16710 which will end to be replaced by a 1680 :D

I have no idea why I cannot appreciate other lines of watches.

The only watches I will keep except the Rolex are a UPO, an Ingy and a 3717.

Conclusion:

1. I'll continue my Rolex collection (Frankens/gens)

2. I'll get myself a JLC master control (Gen)

Cheers

Stephane

PS: for you Pho ...at least one photo :)

Rolex5513_800_27B.jpg

See, this is what I love - a completely different approach to collecting and making choices as to what do do now and in the future. Very interesting. I would also like to see you go through with that project. Shouldn't be too hard really. a GMTC rep case and bracelet. Maybe brush the center links. Mix and match the Omega and Rollie hands - maybe even use a red GMT hand instead of green.

Once all wedding and related expenses are handled, then the project will be under way. It's only going to be costing me about $240 for the two reps I'm going to cannibalize :) Rather than brushing the center links of the GMTIIC, I was planning on possibly installing the bracelet from my current GMT Sub. I know it would be a bit of a clash, putting a 'vintage' bracelet on a modern watch, but, equally, the dial and hands are 'vintage', so that would fit in with my 'new old stock' plan, and ultimately, I need the bracelet to have a diver's extension, as that's a function I need, but the GMTIIC bracelet doesn't have one :lol: No mixing of Omega hands though, the plan, based on the concept art, is to use the sword hour hand from the vintage Sub which will provide the dial (and possibly the bracelet) and the Maxi minute hand from the GMTIIC. I thought about using a red GMT hand, and obviously I could transplant the one from my GMT Sub, but I have to admit, since seeing the GMTIIC 'in the flesh', I rather like the green hand. I guess I can always try both and see which looks best :)

I can best categorise my collection these days into two distinct groupings.........Ticks......and Doesn't.

JTB

Kind of like your heart Jon - being that you are still alive I mean. :D

PS: How many of the ones that don't tick are old Asian 6497's, seconds at 6 chronos, or correct hand stack 2836 GMT's?

PS: How many of the ones that don't tick are old Asian 6497's, seconds at 6 chronos, or correct hand stack 2836 GMT's?

Suprisingly none Robbie. In truth there is only one that doesn't tick. A cheapo Colamariner I got in the very early days. Don't miss it - the cheap tinny bracelet used to give me a rash and it had more flaws than you'd find at a flaw convention. Where's the next one btw?

JTB

great thread robbie; being a crazy watch nut :crazy: i definitely have thought about this stuff :)

let me start by giving some background on my watch collecting. when i started collecting reps, i bought with reckless abandon (albeit still thinking about each purchase pretty carefully). the options were endless, and the excitement of getting these incredible replications at such a fraction of the cost of the genuine was too much to contain. over time i've accumulated a large collection of reps, and just recently i've been trying to make some tough decisions to sell my reps that aren't getting any wrist time. i realize i've gotten to a place where i have reps that i may still like, but given they aren't getting enough wrist time, i'm better off selling them and directing the funds to other watches (either rep or gen) i will enjoy more. however, the point still remains for me -- the thing i love about reps is the ability to have a variety of fun watches to wear at a substantially lower cost than buying the genuine versions. so i guess to answer your question about having a plan for my collection, in terms of reps, i have no plan :lol:

now for gens, i absolutely have categories that i would like my watches to cover, which are as follows:

sporty. a rugged sports watch that i don't have to worry about. it should be durable, waterproof and sporty.

this category is currently satisfied with my first genuine watch, a sinn u2 on rubber strap. the things i love about this watch are as follows:

a) the fact that it is made out of submarine quality steel.

b) the argon gas filled case.

c) the gmt complication.

d) the extremely comfortable rubber strap.

dressy. a nice dress watch. it should be a higher end brand, have some sort of complication(s) and be reasonably sized (ie. not huge).

this category is currently satisfied with a jlc reverso grande date. the things i love about this watch are as follows:

a) i feel the jlc is an appropriate dress watch given my age. even if i had the means, i don't feel i should be wearing a patek before the age of 45-50.

b) similarly, i don't wear ANYthing gold (jewelry, belts, etc), so i like the fact that it is a stainless steel dress watch.

c) the history of the reverso as an important part (the centerpiece?) of the jlc brand, as well as the ability to flip the watch around & see the beautiful movement.

d) the seven day power reserve and date complications.

e) the silver guilloche dial.

everyday. a versatile, everyday beater watch on leather strap.

this category is currently satisfied with a pam 112. the things i love about this watch are as follows:

a) with the base dial and classic design with crown guard, i feel like the 112 epitomizes the panerai brand.

b) it is extremely versatile, and looks good with a wide variety of leather straps.

c) it can also be transformed into a sporty watch with a rubber strap.

casual. a casual watch on stainless steel bracelet.

this category is currently satisfied with a rolex 1675 vintage gmt. the things i love about this watch are as follows:

a) the thin profile of the 1675 case, as well as the lightweight oyster bracelet, makes this watch extremely comfortable -- an absolute pleasure to wear.

b) the acryllic crystal and matte dial, both of which results in a much warmer feel relative to modern rolex watches.

c) the unique pepsi colored bezel insert; the history of the vintage gmt rolex.

unique. a unique watch that is different than most other watches.

this category is currently satisfied with a iwc big pilot 5004. the things i love about this watch are as follows:

a) the history of the big pilot as an important part (the centerpiece?) of the iwc brand.

b) the large, clean dial, as well as the unique crown.

c) the seven day power reserve.

d) the unique look of the watch on the pilot-style strap.

other categories

birthyear watch. i want to have a classic watch from the year i was born. for me, there is no question that this watch will be a vintage rolex. i've pretty much decided at this point that it is going to be a white rolex 1680, and i think i may have recently found the actual watch i would like to buy to fill this slot. as a side-point about the "birthyear watch," i plan to buy my son (assuming i have one at some point in time!) a classic watch made the year he is born, which i will look after for him of course :D until he is old enough to take care of it on his own.

chronograph. i'm realizing i probably need a chronograph of some kind in the collection. i'm not totally sure what this watch will end up being, but a couple options i would consider would be as follows: a) rolex daytona, b) breitling navitimer, c) some other vintage breitling chronograph.

not really. ideally, i'd like to have diversity of brands in my genuine watch collection.

i hope you enjoyed reading the story behind my watch collecting; i know i've enjoyed thinking (and writing) about it :victory:

deltatahoe

birthyear watch. i want to have a classic watch from the year i was born. for me, there is no question that this watch will be a vintage rolex. i've pretty much decided at this point that it is going to be a white rolex 1680, and i think i may have recently found the actual watch i would like to buy to fill this slot. as a side-point about the "birthyear watch," i plan to buy my son (assuming i have one at some point in time!) a classic watch made the year he is born, which i will look after for him of course :D until he is old enough to take care of it on his own.

deltatahoe

Great response Delta - and regarding the birthyear watch I am going to do that too (except with a new watch in my case) and decided to get the new vintage Jubilee Aquatimer which is based on the original which was released in 1967. I really like the watch a lot too. Pics don't do it justice. I'm going to have to grab one real soon I think. Looks great with the black croc strap as well which id offered standard on the platinum version. I like the rubber too and it is very soft and comfortable in person, but I like the versatility of different shoes for watches now that my collection is getting smaller and more refined...

aquam.jpg

i hope you enjoyed reading the story behind my watch collecting; i know i've enjoyed thinking (and writing) about it :victory:

deltatahoe

Thank you, that was an incredibly interesting and pleasant read :):good:

If I might ask you to clarify something, how do you differentiate between 'Casual', and 'everyday'? Would that be the difference between a watch worn every working day, and then something casual on the weekend?

From his post maybe they are the same, one lives on rubber and one on a bracelet? Cool how everyone compartmentallizes differently huh? Mine is more about dial colors, finishes and then further grouped by complication / design and Delta is more about final use.

Indeed, it's always interesting to find out about others motivations and themes to their collections (No 'making others tick' puns here today ;) ) Until very recently, I would simply buy a new watch every year (normally around birthday or christmas) and then wear it solidly for a year. I think that's some of why, even with a collection of watches to choose from, I don't actually change the watch I'm wearing very often :) I'm still wearing and loving the GMT Sub. Looks great with a crisp white shirt and dark blue jeans :) I'm looking forward to your feedback on the revised and improved concept art for V2.0 in the Rolex Area ;)

My first expensive watch was a Breitling SuperOcean. I wanted a replacement for my Seiko Kinetic that broke for the third time and decided to get a better quality watch. I got it in a sale for around

Thank you, that was an incredibly interesting and pleasant read :):good:

If I might ask you to clarify something, how do you differentiate between 'Casual', and 'everyday'? Would that be the difference between a watch worn every working day, and then something casual on the weekend?

that's a good question. i think the difference is that for an everyday watch, i want the ability to change up the look of the watch based on what i'm wearing (ie. throw on a black strap when i'm wearing a black belt & shoes). in terms of my "casual" watch, i knew that i wanted some sort of stainless steel rolex sports model in my collection; i think of it as a pretty basic, casual watch i can wear whenever i don't feel like deciding between my other watches :lol:

but if i'm really honest with myself these two categories blur together quite a bit; i guess the reality is that i want two casual/everyday watches -- one on a strap, one on a stainless steel bracelet ;)

deltatahoe

When I first started out collecting, Breitling was without a doubt my favourite brand. Because I wanted to jin the Air Force, their design and function (Navitimer and Propfessional Series) really struck the right notes for me. My first rep was a Navitimer which I loved (same model that Andreww still owns) and I ended up buying a Ltd Ed Aerospace. However after a while my tastes began to change.

Similar to Teejay, I then found myself being affected by watches in films. The first was the 2351.80 SMP in the James Bond films. The second which had the most effect on me was the film Fracture. It starred the 3714-01 being sported by a young lawyer. Since then IWC has really taken the top place on my favourite brand list...Il come to that on the second question.

At the present time, I don't have any external factors that are affecting my purchasing decisions. My main requirements now are as follows;

Current collection

A nice daily beater - UPO lite (soon to be on NATO)

A big chunky watch - Breitling Skyland

A Dress Watch - GO Senator Sixties

Future Purchases

Sports - Possibly a WM9 Sub

Unique - Breitling Super Avenger Blacksteel

Versatile - Pam 111

Grail (gen) - IWC 3714-01

Gen everyday watch GO Panomatic Lunar

Like I already briefly mentioned, Breitling was top of my favourites list due to its links with the aviation industry, I also really like Omega. They have a really nice spread of wacthes in their inventory, and are at great prices to.

However, since being a meber on the watch forums (gen and rep) I have really grown to IWC. I like everything they stand for, and there is not one watch that they make that I wouldn't buy. Their elegant watches are beautiful and sccinct, and their sports watches are different from anything on the market and designed very well.

Another brand that has really grown on me (perhaps over the last month) is Glashutte. I associate them with unbeatable quality for the money. No, they're not cheap, but compare their watches with the likes of A L&S and I believe their design and finish are uncomparable to anything else on the market. They've also taken the big date display and really made it a part of their charatcter.

Conclusion

In conclusion, my taste in watches has defintely evolved over the last two years. I have found myself getting away from the more blingy looking watches, to the more sophisticated pieces, such as IWC, Glashutte, and Blancpain.

I would submit that this is partly due to aesthetics. However, aesthetics is not the only thing that has sparked this evolution, another key factor is my appreciation of the heritage of a watch company and it would seem that the three listed above have it in the bucket loads.

I like IWC too, but wish they would bump up their movement finishing a bit. They kind of fall down against the others in that respect and I think they would get more respect with the elite if they did.

GO is really great as a company - I had a Panomatic Reserve for a bit but I never wore it. It was also steel and to me a high end smaller strapped dress watch feels too flimsy and cheap if not gold or PT. Their finishing is amazing toom alhough Lange has that handmade kind of feel which is hard to describe and harder to justify the price differential though.

I too like big dates and for now I get that with my UN Dual Time Big Date. Just something about that.

I feel the way you do about UN obviously but what I didn't mention waqs how I like that they stay out of certain genres almost entirely. They are really into high complications and marine watches both of which they have arguable the most impressive achievemenets and heritage in the industry bar none, but they stick with what they know. I love that UN doesn't make a watch to compete with a Patek Calatrava or a pilot style watch or whatever. They stay true to heritgae and stick with what they know. IWC does too - although I wish they tied in the pocket watch heritage to the wrist a little more like they started with the FA Jones. I would like to see them expand on that idea...

I too like big dates and for now I get that with my UN Dual Time Big Date. Just something about that.

I feel the way you do about UN obviously but what I didn't mention waqs how I like that they stay out of certain genres almost entirely. They are really into high complications and marine watches both of which they have arguable the most impressive achievemenets and heritage in the industry bar none, but they stick with what they know. I love that UN doesn't make a watch to compete with a Patek Calatrava or a pilot style watch or whatever. They stay true to heritgae and stick with what they know. IWC does too - although I wish they tied in the pocket watch heritage to the wrist a little more like they started with the FA Jones. I would like to see them expand on that idea...

UN is such a good brand for pushing the boundaries of technically advanced movements. The UN Big date is beautiful! It looks good both in black and the silver dial. Some of the pictures I have seen make it look almost white, whereas some make it loks quite silvery depending on the lighting.

I think another thing I like about brands like Glashutte and IWC is their status on the mass market. What I mean by that is that you might wear a GO, IWC, (and UN) and you might get comments like nice watch....what is it? However, when you come across someone who knows about the brand, you can have great discussions about them because they are the kind of watch that is bought by an enthusiast, whereas a Breitling, Rolex or Oega might be purchased merely due to advertising. That is a very general comment, and doesn't relate to every purchaser.

that's a good question. i think it the difference is that for an everyday watch, i want the ability to change up the look of the watch based on what i'm wearing (ie. throw on a black strap when i'm wearing a black belt & shoes). in terms of my "casual" watch, i knew that i wanted some sort of stainless steel rolex sports model in my collection; i think of it as a pretty basic, casual watch i can wear whenever i don't feel like deciding between my other watches :lol:

but if i'm really honest with myself these two categories blur together quite a bit; i guess the reality is that i want two casual/everyday watches -- one on a strap, one on a stainless steel bracelet ;)

deltatahoe

Thanks for the clarification, I think I get what you're meaning. Everyday = One basic watch head, which can be customized with straps to match with the wardrobe of the day. Casual = Something which will go with pretty much anything without having to worry about strap swaps... I like that idea :good: