When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New 1665 project ...

Martyd3

Oka folks mine is done...

sd1665final.jpg

Opinions ? ;)

PS ill have better pics in a week or so since i need to wait for it to come in...

Laz

Round Two ...

standard.jpg

Aged acrylic pearl installed.

standard.jpg

Correctly stamped 93150 bracelet installed. Do you like my sexy lugs? :)

standard.jpg

Waiting for this to arrive!

Looking good Marty!

Here is my mixture:

MBW 1665 case with HE Valve Mod

Swiss Eta mvt.

NDT 1665 dial with vintage patina

Hands modded to match the dial patina

Gen 585 end links

Gen crown and tube

Tropic 39 Superdom glass

Drilled holes with gen pins

Ubi flat 3 DW

Hollow mid link bracelet 93150

Gen vintagized insert with acrilic tritium pearl

Case back stripped and aged

CGs shaped and re polished

Case re shaped and re polished

Regards Laz

Looking good Marty!

Here is my mixture:

Swiss Eta mvt.

Gen 585 end links

Gen crown and tube

Tropic 39 Superdom glass

Ubi flat 3 DW

Hollow mid link bracelet

Regards Laz

Laz,

Very nice! Did you have any trouble installing the Ubi date wheel? Were you able to get it centered (or close to center) on all days? I am on the fence about trying to install mine.

Thanks.

Marty

@ Marty thx m8,

The DW was already on the watch when i purchased it from orleon... is as close as it can get regarding being centered, i had one on my previous 1665 and it looked centered on most dates to me ... still maybe im not so picky that said these date wells are known that they do not align 100% on all dates still small price to pay in my eyes for that thicker font and flat 3s ... love the flat 3s man ;)

PS... this watch as all my Rolex modded pieces was skilfully transformed by MR. Tribal ;) as always he overachieved on my expectations...

Laz

I just traded for a MBW 1665....I love what you two are doing! Makes me really appreciate what I have.

I'd love to get a gen crown & tube, where did you guys buy? Mine seems a little "iffy"

What will you do about the caseback?

How about those datewheels.....I read they are too thick (ubi's)?

How about a breakdown in $$$ spent on these parts?

Looking good Marty!

Here is my mixture:

Swiss Eta mvt.

Gen 585 end links

Gen crown and tube

Tropic 39 Superdom glass

Ubi flat 3 DW

Hollow mid link bracelet 93150

Regards Laz

laz - please tell us more about the HE valve mod! I have one of these 1665 modded beauties. But the fake HE has always been a thorn in my well laid plans.....

@ Marty ... ure going all out personally i would leave the hands as they are still everyone has his own goals ;)

I have received some questions on the He Valve mod ...

first let me tell u my mod is of estetic nature it looks from the outside closer to the real deal but its not the He Valve mod that freddy performed on his 1665 that is actually a working one.

Still from the visual perspective mine don't look to shabby for more info on how to achieve that i suggest u contact Tribal. From what i heard its an easy mod.

I will post some close ups in the days to come when the 1665 is in my hands ...

Laz

I am going to go for the tan/yellow patina look. I just bought an aged acrylic pearl off of eBay. I have had the datewheel overlays for a while. I honestly don't remember where I got them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sea-Dweller-Submariner...A1%7C240%3A1318

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

From Moi in our MBW 1680 for SSD trade.....I threw them in Gratis.......Rob really did a great job on them.

New dial and hands installed. I am not 100% happy with the hands yet. They are pretty close, but I may take another stab at the color.

If it was up to me, I'd leave it just like that. It is very common for hands to be replaced, and not the dial, or vice versa. On my 1675 it's the reverse of yours... the hands are darker than the dial.

Can you get both hands the same color as the hours hand appears in your photo?

If it was up to me, I'd leave it just like that. It is very common for hands to be replaced, and not the dial, or vice versa. On my 1675 it's the reverse of yours... the hands are darker than the dial.

Can you get both hands the same color as the hours hand appears in your photo?

I don't think the minute hand is that much darker. It is just that there is more surface area on the minute hand. I can make it lighter or the hour hand darker. I think the color on the minute hand is almost identical to the second hand. It really depends on the lighting. What do you think?

Marty

If they match the seconds hand, then that's pretty nice. Here's how my GMT looks... it's sorta hard to see the color difference here, but it's very noticeable in real life.

gmt_oyster.jpg

UPDATE...

My 1665 arrived safe and sound today to my desk at work... always a special moment unpacking that package that holds a high end modded vintage Rollie... i cant describe it but lots a guys here know what im talking about ;)

Well yea i saw some pics from Tribal and followed the rebirth of this one from the case work on... still truth be told his vintage digital camera just leaves things to desire ;) ...sorry T. :1:

SO... i ripped that open as carefully as i cud and ... :shock::good::yahoo::yeah: simply amazing!

I don't wanna cut u guys short ill get my DSL-R in asap but im late at work today and going strait from here to a B DAY bash of a colleague...

Stay tuned... ill post a link to the upcoming pictorial here.

LAZ :wub: