When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New 1665 project ...

Martyd3

Looks good so far, but what is the source of the case? What other work do you plan to do to it? What other parts/mods are you planning? Are you copying a specific gen watch or just working on-the-fly?

These projects are alot more interesting when you include details.

Well ... I was going to do that as I went along, but this is what I have in mind. First, the watch is a MBW DRSD that I bought from Zack. I am going to rework the case, install a gen crown and tube. Shave the CG's. Add a Clark Tropic 39, "flat 3" date wheel overlay, gen insert (or acrylic pearl in the MBW insert), age the case back and at some point have The Zigmeister do a vintage lume on the dial and hands. That should keep me busy for a while.

This is how the watch looked when I received it. The aging to the case and bracelet will be much more subtle when I am finished with the watch.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Sounds like a great plan & makes a much more interesting read.

Are you going to keep the lume white or are you going for the tan/yellow patina look? Or have you thought that far down the road yet?

Are you keeping the ETA movement &, if so, where you sourcing a flat-top 3 datewheel from? I know that Stilty is working on some, but I do not know of any existing sources.

Sounds like a great plan & makes a much more interesting read.

Are you going to keep the lume white or are you going for the tan/yellow patina look? Or have you thought that far down the road yet?

Are you keeping the ETA movement &, if so, where you sourcing a flat-top 3 datewheel from? I know that Stilty is working on some, but I do not know of any existing sources.

I am going to go for the tan/yellow patina look. I just bought an aged acrylic pearl off of eBay. I have had the datewheel overlays for a while. I honestly don't remember where I got them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sea-Dweller-Submariner...A1%7C240%3A1318

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Marty were spot on time as i also have a 1665 in mod stage just yesterday the case work is about to be completed ;) so race to the finish ;)?

The next steps and mixture formula will be ... NDT 1665 Dial vintage mod and install, hands relume vintaging to match dial and install, ubi DW, gen end links gen crown and tube , tropic 39 superdome, gen insert vitagized + possible tririum pearl etc ...

for now some pore phone cam shots of the case keep u posted ;)

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Laz

@ freddy nope just the "cosmetic" HE Valve mod... u know how it is some things are more important then the other ones to each individual ;)

regarding the mvt. im using a standard Swiss eta 2836-2, in previous 1665 i was using a slow beat but also dont really make a big deal to me ...

This 1665 on the other hand will be my first NDT dialed one, i previously used modded MBW dials...

Cheers Laz

Beautiful work, well done to both of you. Lets have completed photos from both at the end of the work and we can give marks out of 10 - all in the name of fun you understand. I see you have gone for different T39's - I prefer the superdome so already Laz is one point ahead in my book ;) keep up the good work.

Beautiful work, well done to both of you. Lets have completed photos from both at the end of the work and we can give marks out of 10 - all in the name of fun you understand. I see you have gone for different T39's - I prefer the superdome so already Laz is one point ahead in my book ;) keep up the good work.

I have a Clark Tropic 39 sitting on my workbench :)