When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How can I remove this blue tint?

MADRED7

Dear members,

I got a standard PAM111 and tranfered it into a nice PAM02A...with matching caseback and aged T SWISS T dial.

Looks great so far....BUT the big give-away on this watch is the blue/purple tint the crystal shows from different angles....this really bugs me cause it screams fake to me.

I tried a wax-polishing from the outside....did not work

I tried a chrome-polishing paste from outside and inside crystal...did not work

I tried a plastic-polishing-liquid from the outside....did not work.

Who knows:

how to remove this coating from the crystal

is this from the inside and/or outside

Help me please....

Theo

I thought AR was good on REPS, since GEN's have AR as well? I have about 5 B-lings, and all of them have AR and really come off as GEN's when you see the blue reflected off the lights on the dial. Why dont you want AR on this one?

I am purchasing a 112, and Andrew states it has a light AR coating, is that a good thing? whats the deal

The fact is that it doesn't really matter since Reps should always be protected by a HEAVY layer of duct tape over the face when worn anyway (*IMPORTANT* the face of the watch, NOT your own face), in order to prevent scratches. If you've duct taped your watch properly, no one (including you) should be able to even SEE the crystal anyway.

The fact is that it doesn't really matter since Reps should always be protected by a HEAVY layer of duct tape over the face when worn anyway (*IMPORTANT* the face of the watch, NOT your own face), in order to prevent scratches. If you've duct taped your watch properly, no one (including you) should be able to even SEE the crystal anyway.

You just can buy good advice like that these days! :crazy:

JTB

I think the OP is probably more correct by calling it blue tint. I never really found any AR properties from that stuff either. Those PAM's especially. Even the UPO which claims to have single AR is a stretch if you ask me - I just don't see it (or I do see it - the crystal that is...), but at least that watch doesn't have that really horrid blue that those PAM's do.

I'm not a PAM guy so I don't know which have and don't have AR - I do know a lot of the older ones don't but the newer do and it is a lighter single AR. I do know it isn't that color though. So take it off as instructed then have the Chief do a single for you on the inside if it turns out to be accurate for the model you have. Then it will look right. Nice and rich. Chief da man. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Generally speaking 'T' dial PAMs didn't have any AR and over the years the AR coating varied in colour cast, including no visible trace at all. With older watches having been fitted with replacement crystals and newer watches (like my G005) having no colour trace to the AR any blue tinge will not be the issue that 'screams fake'. Unless you already have a Jimmy Fu case & CG package, gen crown and genuine dial the crystal should be the least of your worries. When did you last meet anyone who had ever even heard of Panerai?

When did you last meet anyone who had ever even heard of Panerai?

LOL. I dont know if you were being sarcastic, but to be honest, I work in a building of about 4,000 people...and NOT one of them have ever worn a panerai, and about 99.9% of them have never heard of panerai. So when I ordered the 112, with fixed lever and slight AR coating, I did it to try to fool the .01% at work, and naturally...not one person will question or, 85% will not even notice it, and the rest that do notice, will just say "nice watch".

I got the 112 from Andrew due to the slight AR coating since I thought AR would make rep more believable since I'm familiar with the breitling AR coating and thats very importing to a B-ling rep to have AR to come off as gen.

The only thing I do question is Andrew states

HACK MOVEMENT: Yes

and I have no idea with that is.

Not too familiar with PAN, or its movements.

LOL. I dont know if you were being sarcastic, but to be honest, I work in a building of about 4,000 people...and NOT one of them have ever worn a panerai, and about 99.9% of them have never heard of panerai. So when I ordered the 112, with fixed lever and slight AR coating, I did it to try to fool the .01% at work, and naturally...not one person will question or, 85% will not even notice it, and the rest that do notice, will just say "nice watch".

I got the 112 from Andrew due to the slight AR coating since I thought AR would make rep more believable since I'm familiar with the breitling AR coating and thats very importing to a B-ling rep to have AR to come off as gen.

Yeah I suppose I was just being sarcastic. Listen, I can be anal about my Panerai reps too but at least I admit that it is only for myself. I have never met anyone, other than at an AD, who would even recognise the brand. Certainly even the most dire rep would not 'scream fake' to the general population so lets not kid ourselves. Sure, upgrade and modify your rep but nobody else will even notice.

It means that when you pull out the crown to reset the time, the second hand stops sweeping. Now. I've never had a single manual movement (which a 112 has) hack when the crown is pulled. Automatic movements hack. Rolexes, Omegas, Breitlings, etc, but I've never seen that on a Panerai... Unless, that is the difference between an Asian manual movement, and a Swiss manual movement. All my movements (automatic and manual) have been Asian. The Automatics all hack, but none of the manual movements hack.

I hope that answers your question :)

It means that when you pull out the crown to reset the time, the second hand stops sweeping. Now. I've never had a single manual movement (which a 112 has) hack when the crown is pulled. Automatic movements hack. Rolexes, Omegas, Breitlings, etc, but I've never seen that on a Panerai... Unless, that is the difference between an Asian manual movement, and a Swiss manual movement. All my movements (automatic and manual) have been Asian. The Automatics all hack, but none of the manual movements hack.

I hope that answers your question :)

I hate to hijack this thread, but I have to respond to you

A. to say thanks for answering,

and B. maybe andrew just copied that from another listing and forgot to take that out? I have all asian movements too and not the "best" ones.

I have an omega PO 45 with A21J which stops when crown is pulled, and SuperOcean steelfish, a21J movement, that stops when i pull out crown, so Im glad I just learned that those movements were modified as well.

Thanks. Maybe he means the movement itself was modified, and not the hack that we are talking about? but i doubt it. Thanks. He's awesome, and has really come through for all my pieces, so if he copied the wrong info, no big deal for me.

I hate to hijack this thread, but I have to respond to you

A. to say thanks for answering,

and B. maybe andrew just copied that from another listing and forgot to take that out? I have all asian movements too and not the "best" ones.

I have an omega PO 45 with A21J which stops when crown is pulled, and SuperOcean steelfish, a21J movement, that stops when i pull out crown, so Im glad I just learned that those movements were modified as well.

Thanks. Maybe he means the movement itself was modified, and not the hack that we are talking about? but i doubt it. Thanks. He's awesome, and has really come through for all my pieces, so if he copied the wrong info, no big deal for me.

No problem at all, I'm just happy to give info when I can :)

Maybe he did mean that and simply copy and paste incorrectly, we're all human, and mistakes can happen. But, either way, the information is incorrect, as the movement for a 112 simply should not hack. It is a manual winding movement, not an automatic. I don't want to drag things really off topic, and I'm pleased that Andrew has come through for you on your deals, but to be honest, there have been a lot of incredibly heated arguments in the past about the accuracy of Andrew's listings. At the end of the day, you might be okay with him posting incorrect information, but some people might not know a lot about watches, believe entirely what they read, and thus rely on the information dealers put on their sales as being 100% accurate, and as a community, we need to look beyond our own individual good experiences, and point out errors when they occur, as that is the only way that people who are new, are not sold incorrect goods, or think they need something different to what they are actually expecting, based on dealer information :)