When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Received my First Genuine 16570 Exp.II

lanikai

Thank you all for the insight and wisdom.. !!

there were many enlightening comments .. the issue is definitely not about the $$$ .. I don't feel any "buyer's remorse".. granted the timepiece will appreciate over time .. And this is a purchase I've wanted to make for a long time.. with the amount we spend on reps.. sheesh.. genuines are not far behind as far as cost. .. but that's not it..

there are a couple of acquaintances I see every morning at the coffee bistro .. and by my observation, are really into 'prestige" watches ... cars .. and are really obvious as to having people "see" what they have on .. so much so that they try to "slip" what they are wearing or driving into each conversation.. :rolleyes:

I've tried to explain to one the fascination I have with the history behind the vintage Rolex .. but it goes over his head.. all that he is concerned about is the "prestige" of wearing his 10 year old Breitling .. <_< .. same flavour for 10 years.. poor guy.. :lol: .. and as a side .. this morning he asks very condisendingly ,.. "oh, is that a old Rolex you have on..?" ..lifting up his wrist as he speaks.. to which , I replied.. "yeah it's old.. but worth more than your watch whose stem is ready to fall off".. gave me a hard on to get to say that .. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Now a watch (by the root word) is something to wear to tell time ... How I think of this hobby is a little different from "telling time" .. its like having a part of history with the .. replica's, or like model building

and funny I'm wearing the exp. this morning not even concious of having people see what is on my wrist, doesn't feel any different from wearing a modded rep... so I think I can safely say that be it genuine or rep. it's for my satisfaction .. maybe I carry myself with more confidence.. who knows ..

Nor am I whinning.. I'm very happy to have made the purchase .. and gotten the deal !! it's just made me realize how much more I appreciate this hobby and why it feels so good to do the leg work to source and then have the privelege of having Ziggy do his artful lume.. etc.

so with all that said.. On to the next Franken Rep :victory: .. sheesh this may have opened the Pandora's box to spending more on genuine dials and movements.. :doh:

btw.. Nanuq should enter some literary contest.. you write like a Pro !!.. I think I should download your masterpiece and frame it next to my smoking chair...

Aloha

L

Congrats on the beautiful timepiece!

I enjoyed reading this thread and just previously expressed similar sentiments.

It appears to me that many people find this forum just to buy a rep watch, wear it and move on.

And then there seems to be this smaller group who actually stay on this site (larger than my pathetic post count!) and enjoy the hobby of creating a timepiece that make this forum what it is today.

I can agree that the enjoyment I get is from researching, reading, comparing pictures, getting info from members with great amounts of knowledge, and putting it all together.

The finished piece then is a work of art that attests to your efforts combined with other members, and can be worn on your wrist and admired, day after day.

Enjoy your gen, I think it is important to have in your collection.

I find that the gen gives homage to our hobby. Owning one to me is a sign of respect for this hobby...because without it, this hobby would not have brought so much joy to yourself and others alike.

wear it in good health and CONGRATS!!!

They must all run in coffee shops, because I have the exact same guy in my shop here. He wears a gold YM with an aftermarket gemstone bezel and drives a red Vette. He wears long sleeve pullovers and wears the watch on the outside like fuc*ing Criss Angel. What a piker. Plus, he asks me to race every day regardless if I have the Mini or the Porsche and he looks to be in his early 50's. And he always says MY VETTE loud enough for everyone to hear it. His car, his watch, and his personality make me want to throw up. I should just call his bluff and smoke him - and with the Mini too after I secretly put a bottle in the boot...

I never got the prestige factor in things I'm intereted in. I don't know about the rest of you but comfortable or pi*s poor and all stops in between, I have never once bought anything with the thought that I wanted it because it was a prestige item and I cared what others thought of me or it - or me with it. It is one thing to share your nice things with others known to have similar interests as we all do here, but mentioning your prestige watch or car just to name drop the brand or make other wonder how rich you are is pretty lame. And that is coming from a guy who very genuinely loves to talk and share about things that excite me which happen to be mostly watches and cars. I guess it is all in the delivery

there are a couple of acquaintances I see every morning at the coffee bistro .. and by my observation, are really into 'prestige" watches ... cars .. and are really obvious as to having people "see" what they have on .. so much so that they try to "slip" what they are wearing or driving into each conversation.. :rolleyes:

And then there seems to be this smaller group who actually stay on this site (larger than my pathetic post count!) and enjoy the hobby of creating a timepiece that make this forum what it is today.

There you are!

I remember your thread last week with regard to Rep v. Gen crown, tube, stem and it brought about this same discussion albeit from a different aspect; modding watches so they pass more as 'gen' and ergo become less conspicuous worn in public..........to which you commented on gen. pieces;

There is nothing for me to do with them besides wear them and appreciate them.

I posted that was truely brilliant as the 'mantra' of the modder and a parallel to why I go out to the garage to polish my already immaculately polished car. It's the Zen aside the points; telling the time and ground transportation.

Post count is like shoe size; it means nothing, it's all in 'who fills them'.

GOOOOOOOOONNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Hey Cable.. when we gonna get a Hawaii GTG.. zen zen is in Kaneohe .. I haven't seen him around though.. there are other members whom I can pull out of hibernation.. B)

@Nanuq ... your native tongue sounds easily like Native American tribes.. must of migrated up north for the cool climate.. :D

Wow very well stated Charlieuk !! eloquence is a gift of sorts.. it is in abundance here..

Yeah Robbie.. I cannot help myself .. everytime this guy starts talking loudly about gyms.. ( he used to come into Gold's .. walk arond .. socialize.. about once a month) .. I also say very loudly.. "well, you only frequent the gym once a month to talk story" .. he usually turns red and leaves...... my "dark side" comes out in full force :sly:

Congrats Lani!

There are flashier watches, there are bigger watches, there are visually more "eye catching" watches. But Explorer II is just pure understated class, and definitely among the top-5 Rolex models ever done (just imho).

Great choice indeed!