When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do You Prefer Watches With Day/Date Windows?

cc

35 members have voted

1. 1. Watches with Day/Date Windows

• With
    • Without
    • I don't care. This thread is pointless.

My wife recently asked me to find her a new watch for evening wear and she specifically requested for a watch with a date function. I asked why and she replied "it was easier than checking my phone". I was reviewing her small collection and realized all her watches had a date function...hmm. (btw her daily beater is a Pam 048)

My first love is Panerai without a doubt. Second is IWC. I've noticed that I have been wearing my Slevin more often because of the convenience of being able to look down and quickly remind myself of the day and date. Although it is more convenient, I still feel guilty leaving my base Pams at home :rolleyes:

I was wondering what members here prefer. Watches with or without day/date functions?

cc

The lack of a date is the main reason I don't wear the pams more often, I use the date on them all the time, yes I do forget that often during the day! Only got one with a day function, and I don't find I forget what day it is often enough to beed the function, although I would like to get a Breitling headwind which has both day and date function (but there don't seem to be any good reps).

Although all of my watches,except SS daytona,are with date windows i would say that i definitely prefer rep watches without dw,mostly due to the fact that the majority of reps have got that part wrong(7750 ASIAN sunken DWs,Rolex misaligned dateweels,wrong fonts e.t.s)and i just do not feel ok with that.

But when it comes down to gens i surely prefer them with date and day-date windows.

John

It amazes me how often I am interested in the Day as opposed to the Date. Maybe I'm just old and barbequed. Actually, I know why and it is because I routinely lose track of days because I basically have a 7 day work week and they all run together. So I'll second CC's Slevin comment. I find it extra pleasing to be wearing my AT due to the Day and Date function as it is the only one I have with it.

But I can't say I am partial to Date only watches any more than without. Come to think of it, every watch in my collection has a Date fucntion, but I don't look at them much - just the day when I have the AT on. This also makes me think more and look forward to one day trading up my DJ for a DD. Hmmm another excuse...

When I took this photo, I'll never forget I cut the session short at the last minute realizing it was Saturday and we were meeting friends for dinner in a half hour. If I wasn't shooting this watch I would have left them waiting for us at the restaurant.

Aquatimer6r.jpg

Well for me this a kinda a tough question... Till i found RWG all watches i wore had date.. now this was not a conscious decision but just happened to be that way... THEN came the PAM's and till i bought the Skyland and the 2 omega's a while back i did not miss the date function...

Overall i like the date function to be there but because of my luv for the PAM don't really miss it..

I like the new date window. I'm not a bubble guy.

I didn't realise how much I'd miss my d/w until I bought a watch without one.

Ditto on that. I drilled a hole in my dial and bought a new movement just so I could have a date on my custom watch. Not perfect, but I was going nuts without it.

I agree - i love watches with the Day date done just right. Here is my dilemna - for the most part - the A7750 does not handle the day wheel very well. It always looks wobbly or out of alignment - even when I change them to ETA daywheels. So for every one of these watches, I have to swap to a genuine 7750 or I can't stand looking at it.

So far, I have a Slevin and 3717 with ETA 7750.

Nearly all my other watches at least have the date.

Most of my PAM's do not. Which gives them less wrist time.

I am looking for my next good day date. Considered an omega - but was not in love with it.

Any suggestions?

I am glad someone asked about this as I was going to myself.

But I have a question to ask on top of this.

What happens when your mechanical hand wind watch stops after the power reserve is finished. Presumably you have to reset the day and date and time on the watch as well???? Isn't this a pain for those occasional wearers of day / date watches???

I heard that some day date watches are not supposed to be set at certain times of the day for fear of damaging the date/day wheel. What happens if you are going out for the evening and want to wear that watch, but can't because you are in that danger time zone of resetting the watch day and date?