When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Earbuds - anyone have an opinion?

Nanuq

I have some great earphones for my "real" sound system, and I'm looking for some nice earbuds for my iPhone. I see ads for $400 Klipsch earbuds, and $20 Skullcandy earbuds. I'm thinking they really can't be that different. But man that's a lot of money to throw around trying to find something nice. B)

So I'm turning to the discriminating and sonically experienced members of this fine board, and ask your advice and opinion! Have you found a pair of earbuds that make your mouth water? Do you think the Skullcandy buds are harsh in the upper midrange?

What have you discovered as you try different brands? C'mon, spill it. :tu:

Sennheiser ear buds are awesome!! I use them for my iPod and for my PC ( I have to use a screen reader as I'm blind so need good sound and comfort!) They come with 3 different size 'rubbers' so you can get the best fit, they also cancel out pretty much all back ground noise. I also have bang ollufson and bose ear buds and to be honest there is very little difference between them and I have REAL good hearing! I would highly recommend them, you would save a bundle as well, the bose ones cost me

I love my Sony MDR-EX90LP. I paid $100 for mine a couple of years ago. I recently lost one of the silicon earpieces so I went on the bay to find a replacement set that would fit these phones. I found these earbuds are now available anywhere from $20 - $80. So, rather than buying more silicon pieces, I just ordered a new pair of EX90LPs. $22 shipped. I can't wait to get them to see if they are still the same audio quality.

I have tried offerings from V-Moda and Bose and neither could match the Sony's mid and high end clarity and crispness. About the only thing that wasn't quite as good on the Sony's is the thumping of the base. Although the lows are not as thumping, I still think the lower frequencies are cleaner and crisper than the they are on the others...and still pretty thumping, just not as much as the V-Moda or Bose.

Frequency response: 5 - 25000 Hz

It might be worth a shot for the price.

I use the Bose earbuds and love them. They are $99 so they are not super expensive but they really sound nice. It does take a little while to get used to the way that they sit in your ear but after that I would not use anything else. I use them in my iPhone, iPod, Nintendo-DS, and Bose Wave Radio and all work great.

post-16114-1232744208_thumb.jpg

i think i can give you a gooood advice on this :)

there are also forums about audio stuff for audiophiles, best forum for headphones

btw, there are earbuds and in-ear-monitors(IEM)

difference is earbuds are open and IEM's are closed

earbuds are mainly cheap and using dynamic drivers (i.e. sony,sennheiser)

IEM's are sound monitors which are used by musicians,singers in studios with custom cases (they are 1000$+)

but you can find similar quality IEM's with universal cases for about 100-500$

spend some time if you are interested, but i must tell you, just like watches, there is no best, sound is subjective and it all depends on what sound signature you like

i got a shure 530, most advanced IEM of shure with 3 armature drivers (1xmid,high 2x low/bass), paid 500€ retail price 2yrs ago here but it can be had for much cheaper from internet, especially in usa

i have tried many most expensive IEM's of almost every brand (UltimateEARS TripleFI 10pro, Westone 3 etc.)

but ended up selling them

from experience i can say for shure530:

it has lush sound signature (warm but not dark), best midrange ever heard, slightly recessed highs and clean,big,punchy bass

wide detailed soundstage

if you never heard an IEM before you will be for sure blown away instantly anyway

this is the EQ settings i use, best sound ever for me :D

dsc0622cp6.jpg

dsc0639ct0.jpg

i have two different pair -- one with a closed ear design (for airplanes & blocking out noise) and one with an open ear design (so i can hear what else is going on in the world (like my phone ringing at work).

for the closed ear design, i have a pair of shure e2c's; for the open ear design, i have a pair of the bang & olufsen a8's. i love them both; they are both different (and more than anything, feel different -- with the b&o's being significantly more comfortable) and serve different purposes.

just my $0.02,

deltatahoe

I'm a sure fan as well. Mine are middle-of-the-road E4C's.

I have a couple of suggestions, no matter what you decide:

1. Consider buying a set of custom made silicone ear molds. They'll add comfort, isolation, and richness.
  2. Break in your earphones for several hours (like overnight), at a med-high volume. This will loosen up the drivers, and increase the bass response.

I'm sticking with the plain old white Apple ear buds until someone comes out with wireless ones. Just too much external noise in the city to get any benefit from high end buds.

If noise isolation is an issue, try the Etymolic ER6i. They come with variously sizes silicone ear pieces that fit into the ear like an ear plug, and provide excellent isolation. I use them riding a motorycyle, and the noise isolation is so good that I don't even have to turn up the volume on my MP3 player between walk-around use and 85mph on the freeway use.

Thanks for all the great replies! I went to Best Buy and the man there says I can buy 'em and try 'em and if I don't like 'em?? ............bring 'em back, no questions asked. So I picked up a nicer pair of Sony's and they're warm but muddy... so back they go.

Then I put my cheap Skullcandy buds back on, jammed the tips in my ears and hit Play, and I was blown away at the bottom octave that suddenly showed up, and how dynamic the sound is. I mean they just sound amazingly open and airy and punchy compared to the high end Sonys, and these little suckers only cost like $16.99

At this price I can afford to freeze them in the car overnight, slam them in the door, drop them in the snow... and not even worry. SHWEEEET!!!

I love the new "Z-Buds" made by Zagg specifically for use with the iPhone. Good sound, decent price, volume adjustment on the headphone cord as well as a microphone and call answer/hang up button. You can also use the button to forward songs and skip tracks. It's great for the iPhone because you don't have to unplug the earphones when you get calls. It comes in RED and BLACK

http://www.zagg.com/audio/zbuds-iphone-earbuds.php

Features 2009 CES Innovations Design and Engineering Showcase Honoree, Rich, responsive sound from superior speakers, "Hangin' tight" wearable - wear Z.buds around neck, Built-in music control for iPhone Premium length, tangle-free cord, In-line volume control, Multiple sliders for better cord management, 3.5mm jack compatible with first gen iPhone

Zbudd.jpg