When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Machine-Oil Bracelet Mod

TeeJay

Sounds good.....but what do you rinse the oil off with? Rinsing with normal water won't make much of a difference....do you use warm water with soap?

I drowned mine in Johnson and johnson's baby oil, available from your friendly neighbourhood Watson's. Works like a dream. Smells good too!

Sounds good.....but what do you rinse the oil off with? Rinsing with normal water won't make much of a difference....do you use warm water with soap?

Sorry for the delay, and yes, as you've suggested, and my bro DS confirmed, warm water and soap to remove the excess and rinse it off :)

Theres a couple of ways you can do this.

1)Some members submerge the entire bracelet in oil and leave it in there for either a couple of hours, or overnight. (Usually inside a ziplock bag or air tight container). Personally I find this method wasteful because of the amount of oil needed (I'm a cheapskate :lol:).

2)Another method is to pour oil onto the bracelet, twist the links to work the oil into the joints, and then leave the bracelet in a ziplock bag or air tight container for either a couple of hours or overnight.

3)The really quick method is to pour oil on the bracelet, and really work it into the links. Leave it alone for about 10 mins and then wash of the excess oil. This is probably the least effective way but still a significant improvement than out of the box.

I've had really good results from method no.2 and I usually leave it overnight.

1)Some members submerge the entire bracelet in oil and leave it in there for either a couple of hours, or overnight. (Usually inside a ziplock bag or air tight container). Personally I find this method wasteful because of the amount of oil needed (I'm a cheapskate :lol:).

2)Another method is to pour oil onto the bracelet, twist the links to work the oil into the joints, and then leave the bracelet in a ziplock bag or air tight container for either a couple of hours or overnight.

3)The really quick method is to pour oil on the bracelet, and really work it into the links. Leave it alone for about 10 mins and then wash of the excess oil. This is probably the least effective way but still a significant improvement than out of the box.

Thanks mate

Anybody use motor oil? Maybe a nice 10w-30?

I don't know why but reading this thread just made me think of Chevy Chase in Fletch. "It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need about ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, make that Quaker State."

• 4 months later...

You have to be careful if you have hollow mid links. You don't want them to fill with oil or you never get it out. I use 3 in 1 oil. Makes you watch smell like a mechanics shop...love it! I don't wash it but rather just spend some time wiping it off with a rag.

And last but not least the Bicycle Chain - Cleaning Wax solution...

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Bracelet-Rattle-Fix-t93590.html

This is my preferred.

Having recently tried the dry wax method in the link, I can attest to its efficiency. The bracelet on my SOSF looked nice and clean to start with, but I was curious so I gave it a generous splash of Rock N' Roll Gold lube anyway. Result: supremely smooth bracelet action. Enthusiastically recommended.

• 1 year later...

Anybody use motor oil? Maybe a nice 10w-30?

I don't know why but reading this thread just made me think of Chevy Chase in Fletch. "It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need about ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, make that Quaker State."

:rofl: