When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

If You Can Have One Gen Under $1500, What Would It Be?

triplehd

Breitling SuperOcean

Oris Chronoris or Ti TT1 Regulator

Omega SMP (whichever one you like)

Omega Speedmaster Professional (can get new for $1900, negotiate the extra $400 -- it's worth it for a watch you can pass down to your kid)

I'd take the $1500, then I'd stick to a couple of weeks of 'bread and water' and come up with $1850...for THE dress watch in that category...

post-2143-1154059577_thumb.jpg

Well...it's IWC...enough said.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great topic, BTW.

I have some pretty strong opinions here.

:animal_rooster: The speedmaster reduced and portofino are great pieces, but both too small IMHO and the Standard Bond Style SMP is also great piece, but there are just too many of them out there for me. I like the electric blue SMP, though. The superocean confuses me (Breitling Diver?), but I think it's beautiful. I love the Speedy Pro, Vintage Seamaster (beware of fakes), Nomos, Kobold ideas.

:animal_rooster: I would absolutely not buy new. For under $1500, I would recommend surfing TZ, WN, watchseller, bernard, and the other standard online venues and you will find some great buys.

The following are in no particular order, just a shopping list of some I like:

:animal_rooster: Standard fare: Speedmaster Professional, Aquaterra Co Ax 41mm, Seamaster GMT, Chronomat Blackbird, IWC GST Chrono...

:animal_rooster: A few you won't see everyday: Zenith Port Royal Dual Time, Dubey and Schaldenbrand Aerodyne Duo, Kobold Seal, Sinn U1, Sinn 856 GMT, Nomos Tangente Date Beta Sapphire Back, Girard Perregaux Traveler II, Meistersinger Single Hand...

:animal_rooster: A few vintage pieces (be VERY careful for authenticity): Vintage Heuer Montreal, Vintage Seamaster, Vintage Datejust...

You should come up with a simple informal decision matrix:

Dress, Sport

Braclet, Strap

> or < 39mm

Water resistance

Complications

Price of long term maintenance

Common or more unique

Vintage or modern

Wear everyday or seldom

Horological significance

Box and papers important or not

How long do you want to keep and wear it

This is likely a piece you will keep for many years. As strange as this sounds, I would pick something rather boring as compared to an LV Sub, Crazy Hours, PAMs, etc... (that's why I like our reps - to try these pieces, my gens are much more conservative). It should withstand fads and changes in taste.

I would shoot for something on a bracelet, equally dress as sport, 100m+ WR, between 39 - 42mm, modern, with box and papers - no complications other than a sweep second and a date. Some horolog. significance. Simple Dial. Timeless.

Perhaps this.

post-848-1154062216_thumb.jpg

Take your time and have fun hunting; there are so many great pieces at your price point.

Cheers,

Spaghettiman

Ditto. All excellent suggestions. Personally, I'd go for a Tudor or Heuer Carrera because PO rep is so good. TAG Aquaracer 2000 Chronograph is a beautiful watch too.

Thanks, Bytor. :)

Jomashop had NOS original Heuer Carrera Reeditions until recently but no more. For some reason, Tag Heuer revised this beauty entirely to the point it bears zero resemblance to the original. To add insult to injury, Tag raised price considerably on the new models. :thumbdown:

Cheers,

Jet

My favorite watch this month is the Heuer Carrera Re-Edition 1964. I was horsing around on ebay and bid on one and got it for $800. The seller said it didn't reset properly so I took it to my watchmaker and spent another $70 replacing the reset pin in it. Now it runs fine, is in great condition and I love the classic good looks. It has the Lemania 1873 manual wind movement in it, the same as some of the Omegas, only Omega calls theirs the cal. 861, I believe.

My favorite watch this month is the Heuer Carrera Re-Edition 1964. I was horsing around on ebay and bid on one and got it for $800. The seller said it didn't reset properly so I took it to my watchmaker and spent another $70 replacing the reset pin in it. Now it runs fine, is in great condition and I love the classic good looks. It has the Lemania 1873 manual wind movement in it, the same as some of the Omegas, only Omega calls theirs the cal. 861, I believe.

C'mon MD, You know you can't make a post like this without PICS! :bleh:

I got a new Omega PO for $1400.

Please share with me, as well as everyone else, how you were able to score that one? IF that's the case - PO here I come !

Damn, Groobash...that is exactly what I was going to say.

But for the uninitiated, it uses the same Unitas hand-wind that we have in our Panerai... but it's a bigger watch! Note the hinged lugs...

You have fine taste, sir!

mmmm...52mm of Unitas gen goodness for $600

I have enough black watches, so I put the white one on my birthday list ^_^

post-332-1154153757_thumb.jpg

Edited by groobash

Please share with me, as well as everyone else, how you were able to score that one? IF that's the case - PO here I come !

you just have to keep your eyes open and surf the TZ sales forum. I've scored a few good deals on that site, but you have to be patient and wait for the deal to come along and pounce on it quickly before someone else gets in there. You can also find a watch in the price range you like and then work on the seller, they will usually come down in price if they knew you want the watch and are ready to buy. I saw a few PO on there recently, didn't check them out because I already have one (love it BTW, one of my favorite watches). If I see any good offers I'll let you know, but don't forget half the fun is the search for the perfect watch because once you find it then you'll want something different (I know this all too well). ;)

you just have to keep your eyes open and surf the TZ sales forum. I've scored a few good deals on that site, but you have to be patient and wait for the deal to come along and pounce on it quickly before someone else gets in there. You can also find a watch in the price range you like and then work on the seller, they will usually come down in price if they knew you want the watch and are ready to buy. I saw a few PO on there recently, didn't check them out because I already have one (love it BTW, one of my favorite watches). If I see any good offers I'll let you know, but don't forget half the fun is the search for the perfect watch because once you find it then you'll want something different (I know this all too well). ;)

I've been living on that site the last couple of days looking to score a gen at a great price. I really like the Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish XL. Saw one on the 'bay for $500 with no reserve. I wouldn't mind picking up a 45mm PO to go along wtih my 42 from Andrew.