When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why they get paid the big bucks................

Demsey

Sounded like a casual cabin announement, "hmmm, we'll be landing shortly in the Hudson river. Local time is _____. Temperature is about 10 degrees fahrenheit. It's been a pleasure to have you on our flight today."

Nice to hear there are still real men alive today. Restored my faith in humanity for a moment. Though just a moment.

Yes it is amazing. The military call it 'forced cool' and you can get a handle on it. Learn it as a survival skill. It's almost like 'play acting'. It saves butts.

When I was a kid, my Godfather, an Eastern Airlines pilot, had an acetate, a one off LP record, that was being passed around flight crews. During the fifties BOAC was losing Comet jets in service from design and structural failure due to the 'punch rivetting' methods of attaching the skin.

The recording was made from transmissions of a British de Havilland test pilot having put the plane into 'over stressed' flight conditions after a series of pressurization cycles. At altitude the airframe came apart and the crew were doomed and they damn well knew it. The pilot transmitted his control inputs and power settings, while applying and verbally relaying appropriate emergency procedures, all the way to the ground.

Never give up. Ever. Occaisionally, I would have had students who would push back from the controls, and raise their arms in frustration of not being able to complete a maneuver. That's when we would have the 'talk';

Are you absolutely sure you want to be doing this? Because "I give up!" is not going to cut it.

I've sometimes wondered what it would be like to really save a person's life.

This guy literally saved hundreds, all at the same time.

If any young kids out there are looking for a real hero, they don't need to look any further than this!

It's an interesting experience. A million things going through your head at the same time...yet also single focus on breaking things down into task oriented bites. You never know how you'll really react until you're actually in that situation...and in the post mortum afterwards...it's a real reflection exercise that never leaves you...especially if things worked out. You really do get the confidence that you can do anything.

At the same time that I say nobody should have to experience it...I think everybody should because it's the only way to really know yourself and how you really handle stress. Trying to keep your cool afterwards while being attacked by TV crews is another experience for another time!!

Definitely the "Right Stuff".

I read a quote from Sully right after it happened that said something like - we were all calm on the outside but nervous on the inside (I'm paraphrasing so I apologize if I don't have that quite right).

I think that's what it's all about, to have the composure to keep it together when human nature wants to take over and cause panic.

A great man indeed!!

When he was hailed a hero and given the key to the city I had friends here saying "What if he just put it down anywhere he could and just got lucky?"

I think this tape proves the hero he really is.

It also shows why there is a very large incidence of nervous breakdowns within the air traffic controllers group.

Ken

've sometimes wondered what it would be like to really save a person's life.

This guy literally saved hundreds, all at the same time.

I'd say potentialy thousands of lives. Regretably NYC knows first hand what happens when an airliner strikes a big building . . .

Here's some more angles on the landing. http://goodfatherblog.com/land-passenger-jet-water/

Col.