When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fake discussion at timezone

iceberg1459

I remember the Breitling faithful was very amazed (and scared) of the accuracy of the Skyland when it came out last year. They even posted a pic of a rep, and many had trouble seeing any "tells" at all, many thought it was really a pic of a gen instead. Some thought it may have been franken with many gen parts, although it was a pic of a rep "right out of the box".

This high google rating is scary IMO. Surely that's like standing on a battlefield with a big sign saying "shoot me!" I don't know much about the ins and outs, but how safe is this website from being taken down? And is there no way we can go below the radar/more stealthy? Surely the big companies would happily throw a few thousand $

Any kid with 15 mins on his hands can find this site Trusty/PT/ other dealers so surely the watch cos know all about it?

They do, but so far they seem to think of us as just a small bunch of loonies, and that most people think all reps are the the $19 Canal Street Rolex variety.

If too many people find out that there are good reps to be had and the "Fashion media" get ahold of it it could be trouble indeed.

So if you see someone posting to a gen group about how good reps have become - argue with them!

Tell them they're full of [censored] and they're posting Gens and saying they're reps!

We need more people to think all reps are junky fakes you can spot 20 feet away and that break in a week.

REPS ARE CRAP! THEY'RE A WASTE OF YOUR MONEY! YOU'LL JUST GET RIPPED OFF!

This high google rating is scary IMO. Surely that's like standing on a battlefield with a big sign saying "shoot me!" I don't know much about the ins and outs, but how safe is this website from being taken down? And is there no way we can go below the radar/more stealthy? Surely the big companies would happily throw a few thousand $

Its surely not illegal to talk about reps, is it? I doubt they could do anything.

No, the function of this site and others like it is to educate the buying public so that someone does not get ripped off by buying what they think is gen only to find out later that it is a rep. Its not illegal to talk of reps or do research on such. It is illegal to sell them and it is totally unethical and immoral to sel a rep as a gen.

No, the function of this site and others like it is to educate the buying public so that someone does not get ripped off by buying what they think is gen only to find out later that it is a rep. Its not illegal to talk of reps or do research on such. It is illegal to sell them and it is totally unethical and immoral to sel a rep as a gen.

And unfortunately we have a trade section... I think the way admin covers it is that the way to see the trade section is to register and the terms to register state something like "I am not a representative of any brand blah blah blah"

It really is amazing how good these reps have become over the past five years. Not that they weren't good back then, its just that they are near perfect now. Double sided AR, proper date font, near perfect pearls, you have to look pretty hard at a rep these days to know the difference (look at the Graham pic in this very thread, I'll guess gen). For us that is really a god thing, but in some ways I feel that these new "perfect watches" are killing our hobby. Back in the day you had to work pretty hard to take care of all the little flaws in our reps. There were some great artists, and viewing pics of there works ranked as one of my favorite things to do. What can you do to our "Super Reps" beyond adding a gen dial or insert (pretty boring stuff)? Not much. Pity :(

Wrong. The gen makers are very disturbed by the profits - real or imagined - they lose to reps.

I have to agree completely with this. I found this site only because I wanted to buy a Chopard watch and was interested to see what the reps of the MM XL looked like. I never contemplated buying a rep before I found the site. Mainly because I was under the illusion that all reps were junky and quartz movements not worth the metal they were stamped on.

Well....since finding the site I have bought 2 reps and am amazed at the quality watches that are actually made. They are not as nice as the Gens, never will be, but many are indistiguishable to the naked eye of 99% of the people looking.

Personally, I think it's better for all of us if the guys on TZ and the other rep groups think that all reps are crap.

That way the gen manufacturers aren't so hot to shut us down -

Maybe we should starts a repository of dis-info about this?

I start with one that discredits RWG, ok?

RWG:

"Rwg? Dont bother with these guys, they are just buying lousy rep-watches. I have heard from my friends girlfriends brother that they all buy fake Rolexes in Chinatown in SFO.

And man, I mean, these copies - no these fakes! - are unbelievable sloppy...all Rolexes are misspelled. That

Wrong. The gen makers are very disturbed by the profits - real or imagined - they lose to reps.

I can't imagine that they are actually concerned about sales impact from the rep market. If the reps were not available those sales would not be 1:1 for gens. Most of us looking at or purchasing reps are doing so because the gens price range is a little out of reach (of course I can't speak for everyone but if I were wealthy I wouldn't think twice about buying a gen). I would suspect that their concern would be more of impact to brand reputation...if someone bought a poor quality rep and didn't know it then one customer out there would be unhappy and this can expand quickly.

I have learned so much more on this site than tz.

Long live rwg and it's members!

I too frequent both (as well as others) and I must say the technical knowledge here is outstanding. I have learned so much about watches, regardless of gen or rep. Just awesome!!!

Interestingly, myself and a former TRC member both own gen Pannies and occasionaly would meet up with Paneristi guys and partly to engage in chat and partly to chat about the comparive costs and actual worth of rep vs gen. At the time I have a couple of heavily modded Finepix pieces which blew the guys away. The point being we are all into the art and engineering not the cost. They can afford more I afford less but still the same appreciation. The other point I made was tht we are more down on scams than the gen owners since it screws withour hobby. I guess it just depends on how much cash you have or how much of a snob you migt be. I would be just as happy to chat to a guy in a Roller about the joys of summer driving whilst sat in my knackered Triumph Stag or gold cabrio. We would both have the same passion from slightly different angles