When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

mid range Gen Recommendations

lufcmattylad

Do you want a dress watch or an all-purpose watch?

b16a2 has some great suggestions. Sinn is a great way to go. I'd say that Kobold is another nice option if you're looking for something rarely seen on the street. Their Arctic diver is being sold at a discount right now.

http://www.koboldwatch.com/products/arctic_diver-swiss.htm

you could also consider buying a very good vintage watch within that price range. You could find an Omega in great shape for a very good price.

A new Omega is a solid bet, though. It's got my respect on all counts for quality and beauty.

Longines master

Oris Atelier (that's a beautiful watch!)

good luck and congrats.

Ditto too on a used speedmaster, it's a quality watch that should last a long time.

+1

Your budget should buy you a mint Speedy Pro still under warranty. Very hard to beat. It has already proved capable of withstanding the test of time and remains as desirable as ever. It would be my first choice, except I already have one.

German made with a nod to the Glashutte tradition and a strong aviation presence simultaneously. If you can handle $2100, a Sinn 757 Chrono is awesome. 43MM & great double AR & lume. 7750 based. I had the tegimented UTC version one for quite some time. Great watches.

sinn757strap_369_detail.jpg

Or, for a real cheap $1500 or so you can have a 657 on bracelet which is great too. 40MM and again double AR and great lume. Nice clean dial and you can't beat the price. 2824 based.

sinn657bracelet_1255_detail.jpg

I've seen used Speedmasters for $1300 CDN locally. These would be an excellent buy.

You could even get a vintage SS Datejust on The Bay for around $1300 USD...maybe 1980's vintage. Depending on how long you've known your fiance, or when you/her were born...you could go for a model from that year.

Ditto about Speedmaster. That watch is simply a legend and it's something that will always hold up its value.

Also second hand Seamaster Professionals and Breitling Steelfish SuperOceans are excellent choices. And of course TAG Link, Carrera and Aquaracer series.

Oris also makes very good quality watches in that price range.

Ditto about Speedmaster. That watch is simply a legend and it's something that will always hold up its value.

Also second hand Seamaster Professionals and Breitling Steelfish SuperOceans are excellent choices. And of course TAG Link, Carrera and Aquaracer series.

Oris also makes very good quality watches in that price range.

Absolutely! :)

Something Omega...I'd suggest it over a Sinn simply because I feel Omega's are better "everyday" watches whereas Sinn makes me feel that I need to jump out of a jet, land in the ocean, and subsequently dive 40 million feet!

Agreed. I was just trying to post a different alternative. I would probably grab an Omega for a first gen in that price range before Sinn or anything else. And the 757 is what you would want and so already at $2100 as I said and you can be into something else there anyway. Heck at $2200 or so you can have a Steelfish new even.

So yes, listen to the boys and go w/ Omega.