When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

WM9 datejust

acesup_11

Is WM9 datejust the most accurate rep available or are the old top of the line reps that were available from Eddie Lee better. I would like to know opinions on quality and accuracy thanks so much. I have a top of the line Daydate from eddie lee and it is incredible but I feel like I would like a datejust now. Thanks so much to everyone.

It used to be that most people around here were building Datejusts from gen cases and dials. You could pick up a case and dial from roling on ebay for a couple of hundred dollars, add an eta movement, crown, set of hands, maybe a datewheel, and a bracelet and have a pretty nice franken for around $400-500. But I haven't seen those cases around recently.

WM9 puts out a nice product, but everyone's buying the subs and YMs. Eddie Lee is retired from the business. Datejust reps aren't bad for the most part- generally they vary slightly in size from the gen- not noticeable, but you can't always swap out for gen parts. So you can spend $100+ for a good one with a CN movement, $200-300 for one w/ an eta or copy eta, or $500 for one from WM9. It all boils down to how much you want to spend, but I would think that you can do OK buying a $200-300 DJ rep from Josh or Andrew- hopefully it would be a real eta, but that's probably getting scarcer all the time.

Just a clarification: WM9 models are Sub and YM (and the upcoming Sea Dweller), just like alligoat said. There is no WM9 DateJust.

If you see other watches listed in the WM9 site, like DJ, they are the same reps that our dealers can get. Only Sub and YM are those "ultimate" replications, that are (so far) only available through George/BK.

Just a clarification: WM9 models are Sub and YM (and the upcoming Sea Dweller), just like alligoat said. There is no WM9 DateJust.

If you see other watches listed in the WM9 site, like DJ, they are the same reps that our dealers can get. Only Sub and YM are those "ultimate" replications, that are (so far) only available through George/BK.

thanks so much everyone for the clarifications I really appreciate it. Is George/BK the same as WM9 I bought a WM9 sub today and the new seadweller i just want to make sure thanks...

Also is it hard to buy the parts for the datejust and put them together... Also is there any threads on how to do this?

BK buys unassembled watches from George/WM9 and assembles them here in the U.S. His attention to QC and iron clad after-sale service set him apart from WM9 and, frankly, all other dealers. But you have to be patient. Unless you get one second hand it usually takes months to get a BK watch.

BK buys unassembled watches from George/WM9 and assembles them here in the U.S. His attention to QC and iron clad after-sale service set him apart from WM9 and, frankly, all other dealers. But you have to be patient. Unless you get one second hand it usually takes months to get a BK watch.

Amen to that... And though my WM9 SD pre-order is my first deal with wi bk, his reputation on here is absolutely first class. :good:

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the advice on the WM9 DJs. I was looking today and noticed that the 16200 looks remarkably good value for a Swiss ETA version but if they're not accurate then are they worth the money?

Edited by Member X

A franken built DJ doesn't cost much more to build. Last one I put together was around $650 said and done; gen case, gen dial, gen crystal, gen bezel, gen crown/tube, ETA movement and Tudor hands. Add a stilty spacer and you've got a great watch that is damn near perfect.

I think you'll be surprised to see what can be done within that price range!

Last case set I picked up was $400-ish. It was inclusive of the case band, case back, crystal, bezel, tube and dial. The movement was something I had in hand already, but we'll consider current market price of $145 for a 2824. Crown was $50 and hands were $60. I didn't do the stilty ring as I don't believe he had any on hand at the time, so this will bump the price a bit, but the part (if he's still doing them) is a very worthwhile factor to the equation.

The nice thing about projects like this is that you can pick up bits and pieces here and there as budget allows. Sometimes, you have to be patient anyways... As not all parts are available right away either...

It's a good project to start with...

Here's one that I did some time back...

184_8462.jpg

And a similar project using a DJ 16200 case converted to 14270 Explorer I:

IMG_2826.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

Wow, that's awesome!

And you've just answered the very questions I was going to ask! lol :D

I think I will start to keep an eye out for things on the 'bay and see what comes up...

I've already spotted a couple of dials on there so I will have to get researching then start to look!

Thank you for your help :)

Edited by Member X

I think they are still doing them!

http://www.watchmaker9.tv/products/datejust.htm

White faced 16200 is my choice.

I think that's really a silver dial. Something probably got lost in the translation from Chinese to English- right around white gold. Nevertheless, it's a beautiful watch.

But I don't know if it's really any better than this one from Josh, even tho the dials are slightly different:

http://www.jpc8118.com/rdjms10010-silver-t...8362-p-714.html

As ByTor says, you're just paying extra money.

Old style? New Style??

Do you mean the older style ones are the ones nearer the bottom of the page on the site?

New style: polished lugs, solid bracelets

Old style: brushed lugs, hollow bracelets

I think the same, the old style ones look like TW best datejust.

They are definitely. I've bought one of WM9s Explorer 1 and it has exactly the same case than my old TW Best 16200 had.