When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stretching Metal

freddy333

:wub:

I'm sure glad this is phase-1 so when phase-2 is done you won't be able to stomache wearing phase-1 (the dirty old nasty piece of rubbish) and you'll send it to me.

Teejay gets the cigar. :good:

Within minutes of my completing work on this stretchable 7206 rivet bracelet, my latest MY dial arrived in the mail (I also received another insert, but I am reserving that 1 for the 2 project). :whistling:

Nanuq, do I sense some eagerness?

Woo Hoo :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The lume on the dial is an excellent fit for the rest of the watch :)

Fantastic. When did you get the small GMT hand?? I don't recall seeing that in your other pics of the 6542.

When you order a redial from MY, what do you specify?? Do you give him the old dial from the Silix Sub, and a pic from the 6542 gilt dial you wanted printed...and leave it at that?? Does he put on new dial feet?

Fantastic. When did you get the small GMT hand?? I don't recall seeing that in your other pics of the 6542.

When you order a redial from MY, what do you specify?? Do you give him the old dial from the Silix Sub, and a pic from the 6542 gilt dial you wanted printed...and leave it at that?? Does he put on new dial feet?

MY's hands are made to fit the gen 1030 movement (which is what phase 2 is all about), so they would not fit the modified ETA 2846 I used for this phase 1 project. I was unable to find a small GMT hand that would fit (or could be made to fit) the ETA 2846's pinion, so I 'rolled my own'. The hand consists of the tip from 1 of MY's hands which I soldered to the handshaft from the original Silix hand.

I have had the small GMT hand installed for several months now. You must have just missed some of the more recent pics & posts. I only used (& took pics of) the original large GMT hand (donated from another 1675 rep watch) right after I put this watch together. But, within days of that, I assembled the small hand & installed it.

MY sells dials made for the 1030 movement, which press onto the 1030's calendar ring (no dial feet on these), so they will not fit an ETA. So, for this watch, I sent him the 'Cartier' Sub dial you see in the pic of the original Silix watch above & he stripped & repainted it per my specs as you see in the new pics.

Beautiful Freddy :wub:

Thank you. I very much appreciate the support.

I agree. I think MY outdid himself on this 1. And considering phase 1's humble (Silix) beginnings

rols17640181.jpg

(ROLS176 at right & no, the bracelet in this pic is not the gen)

I am amazed at how well it turned out

dialand72060501.jpg

Wow, that is one heck of a transformation :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: Absolutely awesome work :good:

I also have one of those Silix subs (the dial from it went into my GMTSub)

DSCN0667.jpg

DSCN0825.jpg

I have got plans to do further modification work to the Silix Sub, but it appears to have gone walkies from my collection :g:

That certainly is a beautiful watch freddy! That dial from MY looks pretty awesome- the first thing that caught my eye was 'Oyster Perpetual' and no 'Date' at the end!

And I guess you mated a gmt gear to the 2846 movement- that's a pretty cool mod also. The only other thing would be a roulette datewheel.... It's certainly a great watch and a tribute to your watchmaking skills. Congrats.

...so I 'rolled my own'. The hand consists of the tip from 1 of MY's hands which I soldered to the handshaft from the original Silix hand

...I have had the small GMT hand installed for several months now. You must have just missed some of the more recent pics...I sent him the 'Cartier' Sub dial you see in the pic of the original Silix watch above & he stripped & repainted it per my specs as you see in the new pics.

Amazing. That is a fantastic effort...and a beautiful project.

I definitely missed the updated posts of the more recent pics.

I also have one of those Silix subs (the dial from it went into my GMTSub)

I have got plans to do further modification work to the Silix Sub, but it appears to have gone walkies from my collection :g:

TeeJay - Silix offers several Subs that share the same (incorrectly higher profile) case & only 1 that I am aware of (ROLS176, with the Cartier dial) that uses the correct low profile case. A couple other members attempted similar projects (before me) using some of these other Silix CG-less Sub cases, but the cases turned out to be too tall.

You can tell if you have the correct case because, when viewed from the side, a gen 6mm Twinlock crown should protrude about 1mm above & 1mm below the side of the case. :) If the case height matches or exceeds the height of the crown, it is the wrong case. :(

That certainly is a beautiful watch freddy! That dial from MY looks pretty awesome- the first thing that caught my eye was 'Oyster Perpetual' and no 'Date' at the end!

And I guess you mated a gmt gear to the 2846 movement- that's a pretty cool mod also. The only other thing would be a roulette datewheel.... It's certainly a great watch and a tribute to your watchmaking skills. Congrats.

Yes, we got it right this time. The only thing I debated about was adding the hyphen between OYSTER - PERPETUAL. Some of the 6542s have it, some do not. Because I generally prefer 'white space', I went without. But if I did another, I would probably do it that way.

He also got the spacing wrong with the bottom 2 lines. They should have been evenly spaced. I have seen a couple early gens that were spaced similar to my dial, but not quite as close. Still, I think he did a tremendous job & I am VERY happy with the results.

All Hail the No-CG GMT! :notworthy:

..............now send it to me. Now. You have my address.

Still noted. ;)

I wish I could outbid you on this one...but I know I don't have a frozen chance in Anchorage of beating the King of Snipes.

Poor Nanuq has been drooling over this thing for so long & with all the help he offered during its construction, I would be remiss if I did not offer him 1st option if/when I sell it.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, it's music to my ears.

I just have one small, itsy bitsy teeny weeny problem... I have way too many watches as it is, to enjoy wearing them!!

How I suffer! ;)

You never cease to amaze me Freddy. :thumbs:

FYI, the old NLA ROL187 case from Silix measures 12mm thick including dome and case back. The side profile of the case measures 5mm @ 9:00 position and then tapers down slight before it falls of at the lugs.

Also, did you have to drill / create lug holes?

Beautiful!!!!

-Ronin

This turned out really well. I love the small triangle hand... it really adds to the watch.

Could this be the only serious no-cg GMT in the community?