When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New POS

seafoam

I rcvd this yesterday from a site i'm kind of embarrassed i purchased from. Lesson learned. Lets just say they claim to be "exact replicas". Anyway, nice looking vintage but not the model i ordered from their site or the watch i viewed on their site. It keeps stopping and feels cheap. Lesson learned. Nice looking though and i thought i would share my new POS and my experience with you all. Thanks for viewing in advance.

Brian

post-20638-1236882598_thumb.jpg

post-20638-1236882632_thumb.jpg

post-20638-1236882665_thumb.jpg

post-20638-1236882707_thumb.jpg

I hate to be at variance with the prevailing negative opinion on this watch, but, all things considered, I think this is not a bad 6536 Sub rep.

Of course, it contains inaccuracies, but, overall, I think it looks pretty good. Certainly, as good as any other commercially-made CG-less vintage Sub rep I have seen (from the few vendors who even have them).

I would love to see some side views to see if the case is the correct (low) profile or whether they used a standard sized Sub case (which would be incorrect for this model).

I hate to be at variance with the prevailing negative opinion on this watch, but, all things considered, I think this is not a bad 6536 Sub rep.

Of course, it contains inaccuracies, but, overall, I think it looks pretty good. Certainly, as good as any other commercially-made CG-less vintage Sub rep I have seen (from the few vendors who even have them).

I would love to see some side views to see if the case is the correct (low) profile or whether they used a standard sized Sub case (which would be incorrect for this model).

You're absolutely right . It doesn't look bad at all. And yes, they did use a low profile case. I was just unhappy that I didnt get the one I ordered. Not sure of the model number but I wanted a vintage model with the crown guard.

What'd it set you back if you don't mind me asking?

I dont mind at all. Well, they list the watch at $299.00 or so and they claim a 54% discount and sent out an email offering an additional 50% off all watches so at the end of the day including shipping it was $59.00.

You know its funny. I found RWG just after the purchase of this POS. That is life i suppose. Thanks for commenting.

Brian

You're not alone. I venture to say many members found RWG this way.

At $59, you made out better than many. Heck, you got your watch :p

Well, they list the watch at $299.00 or so and they claim a 54% discount and sent out an email offering an additional 50% off all watches so at the end of the day including shipping it was $59.00.

Wow :o

Can you post some good, clear pics of both sides & the caseback (I can feel the gears of creation beginning to turn once again)?

I am with Freddy on this one. For $59.00 a movement swap is easy, and then beat the snot out of it to look like it is 41 years old. The ole' Coin Treatment.

I too would love to see a side shot.

Worse case scratch it scar it, tea-bag or coffee the dial, pop the pearl and wear it with pride.

-Ronin

I agree with Freddy, certainly not a bad price for such a watch. I forget how much I paid for my vintage Submariner, but I'm sure it was more than you paid for yours ;) If it eases the sting a little, I ordered mine from a recommended dealer, and still got given the wrong model, so I can understand the frustration of getting the wrong thing, and as mentioned by Demsey, that is how Submariners of that type feel :lol: Light, flimsy, plasticky... As someone pointed out to me once about Submariners, they were not originally conceived as being a 'luxury watch', but as a totally functional, stripped down, tool watch. Similar to how a car intended for racing gets stripped down to the bare essentials, and is no longer the luxury ride it once was ;) Once I realized that, my outlook on Submariners changed :)

That said, it's a bit of a bitch that yours keeps stopping... Still, that at least gives you three options for the watch:

• Keep it for parts for future projects

• Make it the future project, and transplant in a new movement

Sell it, so people can use it for their own projects. I sold two non-functional Planet Oceans not so long ago, as part donors/project watches, and someone bought them from me, so, as long as you were to advertise the watch accurately, I'm sure someone would take it off your hands for a reasonable price

:) Heck, I'd make you an offer myself, but I just don't have any spare cash...

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do with it :good:

I agree with the prevailing sentiment - not bad at all, especially at that price!

I agree, the watch isnt bad and it has grown on me in the last 48 hours. My big thing is it wasn't what i ordered. I ordered a vintage sub with a crown guard. Thanks for the encouragement though.

Brian

I agree, the watch isnt bad and it has grown on me in the last 48 hours. My big thing is it wasn't what i ordered. I ordered a vintage sub with a crown guard. Thanks for the encouragement though.

Brian

Bro, certain vintage subs didn't have crown guards... What you ordered, is, aside from not having 50 years of wear and tear, pretty much historically accurate...

Picture2010.png

It keeps stopping and feels cheap.

A good part of that cheap feel comes from the cheap quality parts (& assembly practices) used to construct the watch. Some of the parts (crown/stem, crystal, bracelet, etc) can be replaced with genuine Rolex parts, which, in some cases, will go a long way toward improving the overall appearance & tactile feel of your watch. Of course, in the case of this particular watch, fitting some of these parts will require modifications to the case, which can be both time-consuming or costly. So you may consider this just info for the future.

I also forgot to mention in my earlier response that the movement probably just needs to be cleaned & re-oiled (these watches usually come with an ETA movement, either Swiss or Asian-made - either of which is capable of being tuned to keep very accurate time). Contrary to what many rep vendors say, the movements used in these watches are generally either used (pulled from other used watches) or old/unserviced. In either case, this means that the movement is likely dirty, devoid of oil, contains dried-out oil or any combination of the 3. It is actually a miracle that most reps function at all upon receipt. Now, at $59, you may not consider it worth the cost of having a professional overhaul (probably in the range of $120, depending on who does the work & where you live). But if you were planning to keep or use the watch, I would look at its cheap initial cost as simply a bonus that you can use toward getting the movement serviced, which many (including me) recommend for every rep.