When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are gen Rolexs good timekeepers?

sean1967

The only gen Rolex I've seen that kept good time was my old OysterQuartz.

The rest of the ones I've had intimate knowledge with such as friend's and wife's watches never kept as good time as most of my reps. This is only out of a total of 5 or so but I've never been impressed.

One of mine is 50 years old and is "nearly" COSC spec... within a few seconds/day. Another gen only needs to have the time reset after I've worn it for about a month and it's a minute off, or so.

Half the joy of wearing a Rolex is unscrewing that buttery smooth crown and messing with the movement, so it's a win-win regardless.

Every single Rolex movement is COSC tested and only if it passes, it is being used in a watch. Therefore, new gen Rolex watches are pretty accurate in keeping time. As anything mechanical, a movement needs some tlc every now and then in order to maintain it's performance level. If you don't service your movement after a couple of years, chances are, it's performance will suffer.

Every single Rolex movement is COSC tested and only if it passes, it is being used in a watch. Therefore, new gen Rolex watches are pretty accurate in keeping time. As anything mechanical, a movement needs some tlc every now and then in order to maintain it's performance level. If you don't service your movement after a couple of years, chances are, it's performance will suffer.

Any properly functioning mechanical movement (including a Rolex) can be regulated to keep very good time. Rolex movements tend to be heartier than other mechanicals, which allow them to take more physical abuse without affecting the watch's timekeeping. That said, the best mechanical can & will never equal the accuracy of even the cheapest quartz digital movement. However, I would much rather blame my Rolex for arriving +6 seconds early or -4 seconds late for my appointment than to arrive dead on time wearing a beeping quartz.

....That said, the best mechanical can & will never equal the accuracy of even the cheapest quartz digital movement. However, I would much rather blame my Rolex for arriving +6 seconds early or -4 seconds late for my appointment than to arrive dead on time wearing a beeping quartz.

:lol:

Sums it up I guess !

I have had my gen 14060 for about 3 years and it keeps perfect time. If there is a descrepancy I don't notice it. It never stops because I am either wearing it or its in a winder box.

That being said my rep with an ETA movement also keeps very good time.

Any properly functioning mechanical movement (including a Rolex) can be regulated to keep very good time. Rolex movements tend to be heartier than other mechanicals, which allow them to take more physical abuse without affecting the watch's timekeeping. That said, the best mechanical can & will never equal the accuracy of even the cheapest quartz digital movement. However, I would much rather blame my Rolex for arriving +6 seconds early or -4 seconds late for my appointment than to arrive dead on time wearing a beeping quartz.

Post of the week, that one :D :D :D