When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

changing from a date to no-date on a gen

I have a 14060 but it doesn't have a 3035 movement.

Question though....why do you want ot make the watch a no date?

well, i just love the simplicity of the 14060 dial and now have a 3035 to play with too...

btw, how accurate is your 3035 running now? :)

is that how rolex did to the movement in the 14060?

by simply taking out the date wheel nd thats it?

Personally, I'd just stick a no-date dial in the case. I wouldn't even bother removing the date wheel from the movement, it's just extra work, and totally unnecessary. I got a no date vintage sub from a dealer a while back, and when I took the dial out, the movement had a date wheel. In terms of simply not wanting to mess about with a movement unnecessarily, I'd suggest just transplanting a new dial. Saves you the extra time, and cuts the potential for the movement to be damaged... Best of luck with your project :good:

I have a 14060 but it doesn't have a 3035 movement.

Question though....why do you want ot make the watch a no date?

I can understand the desire, as I have to admit, although it can be helpful to have a date on a watch, on an aesthetic level, I prefer the symetry of a no-date dial, and, on a totally lazy note, it does save having to correct the date :lol:

Why would you want to take apart a GEN anyway?

I'd guess for the same reason that I take apart reps, or why people modify cars: The fun of customizing/model making etc

While I object to paying gen prices due to economic principles, if I could afford to buy a load of gens to build my own fantasy watch, I'd do it, just for the sake of doing it. At the end of the day, rep or gen, they're just watches, not religious ikons :lol:

Huh?

i obey to the crown..

Why the confusion? Blue Sphere said:

Why would you want to take apart a GEN anyway?

As if there was absolutely no rational reason why someone would dare to compromise a gen watch (for the reason it's a gen!!!1) to which I replied:

I'd guess for the same reason that I take apart reps, or why people modify cars: The fun of customizing/model making etc

While I object to paying gen prices due to economic principles, if I could afford to buy a load of gens to build my own fantasy watch, I'd do it, just for the sake of doing it. At the end of the day, rep or gen, they're just watches, not religious ikons :lol:

At the end of the day, they're all just watches. Some just cost a bit more than others. But. Depending on the depth of one's pockets, cash ceases to be an issue, so it would then simply be a case of modifying something away from manufacturer's specification, and that's something which folks do on a regular basis, with all manner of products, from cars and computers, so just because something is 'gen', that in itself, is not enough to render a watch (or other item) safe from modding :)

Specs on a 3035 date movement...

12.5'' (28.5mm) diameter

6.3mm thick

Specs on a 3000 no date movement...

12.5" (28.5mm) diameter

5.8mm thick

If the case is made for a cal 3000, a 3035 will not fit properly because the stem will not center in case tube and the casing screws may not fit in the case groove (you might use screws and clamps though).

If you remove the date works and spacer ring to bring the thickness down, the hour wheel and canon pinion will probably be too tall, causing the hands to be too far away from the dial.

The double stack 3035 hour wheel might rub the dial with the date works and spacer ring removed. I have never tried this so I do not know.

Option 1:

Sell the watch, buy the "no date" one you want, and have some spare cash in your pocket....

Option 2:

Ruin and devalue a perfectly good genuine Rolex.....

Cheers! B)

hi all,

sorry for getting back to you so late and much appreciate all the suggestions :)

ok so let me try to rationalize this....

it is true that why take apart a gen when you can just use the spare money to get a rep...

the 3035 that i have is currently in a tt datejust with the wrong crown attached to it (not gen, that is) and it has leather strap instead of bracelet.

i have always wanted to have a sub, be it date or no date but aesthetically, no-date appeals to me more...

hence the idea to build a franken out of it..

i do not know how much the current watch i have is worth (maybe someone here could give me a rough figure of two as i am no regular e-pray visitor)

so if it is really worth something then i might just traded up to a gen...

but if not then i feel that it wouldnt hurt to proceed as after all the heart of the project will still be a gen and we all know how good a gen movt is... B)

so that is my side of the story, any advice??? :D:D

Specs on a 3035 date movement...

12.5'' (28.5mm) diameter

6.3mm thick

Specs on a 3000 no date movement...

12.5" (28.5mm) diameter

5.8mm thick

thank you for the technical info,

i should take this into consideration... ^_^

From what you've said, it sounds like you would find it more satisfying to modify the watch, rather than to simply sell one, then buy another... If you're not worried abot the actual value of the watch, I'd say just stick to the plan of transplanting in a no-date dial :):good:

For $100, you could put a correct Rolex crown on your DJ. At that point, with leather strap, it's worth $1250-1500 in decent condition. Of course, the value is in the movement. I certainly agree with Mickey, I would not change the movement into a no date. Fix your TT DJ, and take it to a dealer and see if you can trade for a 14060. If you look around, I would think you can find a decent 14060 Sub for $2500-3000. Maybe you could trade up for $1000-1500.

Or you could go buy a 14060 rep. I realize they have shortcomings, but one with an eta should still be a good beater. Rolex movements are good, but these etas still make damn good watches. Personally, I think the Rolex movement is over rated and the etas are under rated. I do own 5 watches with Rolex movements, 1520, 2-1575's and 2-3035's. BTW, from what I've read, of the three- 1575, 3035 and 3135, the 3035 is the weakest. It was an improvement over the 1575 with the quickset date feature, but it has other inherent shortcomings which were corrected in the 3135. The 3035 was only in production for around 10 years- the shortest of the 3.

you can get a new wm9 LV case that is coming out in April. That case can take a 3035 movement supposedly. I'd love to see somebody actually successfully do that.

-bk

hi bk,

does that mean the new wm9 LV case will designed to take the 2836-2 then?

from the wm website, currently, it is using the 2824-2 (which is better suited for 3135), am i correct?

anyways, more thinking to do in the meantime.... :rolleyes:

BTW, from what I've read, of the three- 1575, 3035 and 3135, the 3035 is the weakest. It was an improvement over the 1575 with the quickset date feature, but it has other inherent shortcomings which were corrected in the 3135. The 3035 was only in production for around 10 years- the shortest of the 3.

hi alligoat,

yes, i, too, realize that the 3035 is not highly praised but i gotta deal best with wht i got :)

what about putting it in a euromariner v3?

is there any negatives abt the v3 that you could pls tell me?

thanks again!

The Euro V3 would be a good choice. I have one and I drilled the lugholes larger, gen case tube and crown and a gen bezel insert, oh, and trimmed the cg's.

Clark's crystal, also. The 3035 will fit nicely from what I've heard. A gen dial and a good set of hands and you'll have a very nice franken. V3 comes with an A serial, and 16610 marking at 12 o'clock, but I figure no one is going to see those.

A Euro V3 is an MBW case essentially- the latest version. CJT74 stuck a 3035 in an MBW case and even drilled lugholes. You might want to check out his post.

An old 16800 matte dial would make for a very cool franken, but they're not cheap- $400 at NDTradingcorp.com. A 93150 bracelet and 593 end pieces are correct for the 16800.

There's a good possibility that you could pick up a 16800 gloss dial for around $3K. I bought a 16800 gloss dial for $3250 on ebay last fall before prices dropped.

I've bought 3 of 4 gen Rolexes on ebay, 4 of 5 if you count the one I pulled the 1520 movt out of to build a franken. You just have to buy the seller, not the watch as they say- if there's anything the slight bit questionable, walk away.

Vintage Rolex Forum and Timezone are OK, also.

Patience is the best virtue, take your time- there will always be another watch that pops up next week

Also, you need to figure a servicing for your watch- that adds another $200-250. If it's already been serviced, you should be OK, but if not, you can see how it's doing and go from there.

Personally, I'd just stick a no-date dial in the case. I wouldn't even bother removing the date wheel from the movement, it's just extra work, and totally unnecessary. I got a no date vintage sub from a dealer a while back, and when I took the dial out, the movement had a date wheel. In terms of simply not wanting to mess about with a movement unnecessarily, I'd suggest just transplanting a new dial.

x2