When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 1655 RE~Done

lanikai

I acquired a more accurate case set from my dealer, and the correct hour and minute hands ... so my 1655 made another trip to the Northeast, and Ziggy's House of Horology :)

it took using another genuine xtal.. small sacrifice ;)

The parts are not as outrageous as Stephanes, Poleplex .. and others .. TMG started me on this quest.. B) .. and now after numerous errors in parts on my part.. I can enjoy Ziggy's work

AT Long Last..... the wait and hunt just made it all the sweeter !!

Just some quick pics, the Sun is going down..in Hawaii

thanks in advance for viewing..

csc0011n.jpg

csc0009i.jpg

csc0015.jpg

dsc0012e.jpg

Looks great, Lani. :good: Any plans to tackle the date font?

ahh.. yes.... I have the overlay.. but the wheel needs to be taken down for it to have enough spacing for the gears... I was wondering if you would be the "first" to notice.. can't slip it by you freddy... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

but for now I am closer to what I vision.. B)

wow -- what a beauty lani :wub:

there must be something in the water -- it's the month of the 1655!! a special 1655 from europe arrived at my door today as well ;)

congrats on a great addition :victory:

deltatahoe

ps, out of curiosity -- is the crystal pressed or glued? :g:

thank you DT.. I can't wait to see pics of yours !! This has been a very elusive piece for me.. and the font on the DW.. well,.. I need to find a way to mill the DW so the overlay will fit..

the other topic we discussed this week .. ETA toward the end of the week me thinks..

Guest carlsbadrolex

Hey R, didnt I have some parts to this watch for a day or so? In any event, I see why you said I shouldnt buy the franken up in Hollywierd, your gonna send me this one!

Thats really nice of you, and I appreciate it greatly! I will give it a great home!

Yours Truly,

T

I need to find a way to mill the DW so the overlay will fit..

Depending on the thickness of the overlay, all you need to do is either remove the existing layer of paint with a can of spray paint remover from any auto parts store (follow the instructions on the can) or rub the painted face of the datewheel against some fine (not superfine, or it will take you all day) sandpaper until you reach the desired thickness. After either procedure, clean with denatured alcohol, apply overlay & re-install. :)

Depending on the thickness of the overlay, all you need to do is either remove the existing layer of paint with a can of spray paint remover from any auto parts store (follow the instructions on the can) or rub the painted face of the datewheel against some fine (not superfine, or it will take you all day) sandpaper until you reach the desired thickness. After either procedure, clean with denatured alcohol, apply overlay & re-install. :)

Thank you Freddy !!.. I have a spare wheel.. I can use Aircraft paint remover.. it'll bublle it right off.. and apply the overlay.. and at some point and time send it back to Ziggy for proper install..

thanks again.. your always a huge wealth of knowledge

indyberetta Posted Today, 04:37 AM

NICE!!!!

It is eta powered?

Where did you get the hands? The orange hand is the proper length....I love it!

just the generic 2836 .. but it functions are as good as ZI need them to be..

I have 2 extra set of Omega flightmaster hands if you need any Indy

and yes I lucked out on the proper legnth for the roange.. and not red hand..

docblackrock Posted Yesterday, 11:51 PM

Congrats Lani, I know this one's been on the boil for a while now, almost time to light that cigar....

You too B, yet another beauty takes up residence at Casa DT....

Now if you'll all excuse me I must go off into the corner and quietly sob at my lack of 1655 joy

Very nice treat to see you posting Doc !!

it hasn't been boiling.. it's been in a slow Crock Pot.. :p .. parts .. arrghh nightmare..

I thought you purchased a members 1655 .. or are you holding out for the 100 genuine.. ?? ;)

Very nice treat to see you posting Doc !!

it hasn't been boiling.. it's been in a slow Crock Pot.. :p .. parts .. arrghh nightmare..

I thought you purchased a members 1655 .. or are you holding out for the 100 genuine.. ?? ;)

Ah you old flatterer you :winkiss:

Nope no 1655 soup for me I'm afraid, DT got Steph's, Steph got Oli's, and all poor old Doc got was a case of the green-eyed monster :wounded1:

Ah the gen.....yes indeed I still have my eye on a particular example. It taunts me. Just sitting there behind 3" of laminated glass window. Gleaming all seductively and minty fresh....

'What do you mean, you can't afford me?' it sneers, every time I pass....

'Don't be a big girl, c'mon....are you really using that second kidney?'.

It has a point. :g:

Ah the gen.....yes indeed I still have my eye on a particular example. It taunts me. Just sitting there behind 3" of laminated glass window. Gleaming all seductively and minty fresh....

It has a point. :g:

and you know the people who can make it happen ;)

don't be a big girl doc :animal_rooster: you know you want to join the 1655 club :bounce:

deltatahoe

Looks great Lani - Is the journey over for this one now

ziggyzumba Posted Today, 10:50 AM

You can't install the overlay because of the extra gear for the GMT function. The overlay jams up against the gear...so no overlay is possible unless the overlay is the same ID and OD as the original DW.

RG

thank you R.. for that.. ...so the other option is to remove a DW from another 2836-2 that has the proper font .. :)

Ziggy's Answer .. also answers DL Q.

@ just as good .. man where do you dig up these treasures.. :) .. I have not forgotten your Habanos... the whole chest needs to be humidified.. it was a drier winter than I expected.. soon my friend..

docblackrock Posted Today, 10:38 AM

Ah you old flatterer you

Nope no 1655 soup for me I'm afraid, DT got Steph's, Steph got Oli's, and all poor old Doc got was a case of the green-eyed monster

'What do you mean, you can't afford me?' it sneers, every time I pass....

It has a point.

ahh,.. always the brides maid never the bride.... :p ... You probably are wearing it and lauging out loud... B)