When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

reps most likely to be mistaken for gens

Don_in_Chicago

Why buy a rep (or a gen for that matter) if it will be assumed to be a fake?

My wife is buying me a 10th anniversity gift - Omega PO 45mm - a gen. I would like a couple of reps to wear on other occasions, but I want reps that will pass as gens.

I will try to avoid the obvious - Subs, Breitling Chrono's, exotics, etc. and opt for the less obvious, such as Tag Link Chrono and plain Rolex Datejust with leather strap.

Any thoughts and suggestions - best suppliers and movements?

Thanks members, I am a total newbie and this is my first post.

Hi Don, welcome to the world!! I hope you have deep pockets my friend cause this hobby takes more from you than Crack!!! lol

If you use the search button, top right of your screen, it will open up all manner of reviews, buyers thoughts, even part by part break downs of the watches themselves! My advice to you mate is to do as much reading as you can and then you can make a informed decision yourself.

Personally I thikn you have made a good choice with the TAG's, the reps are super close to the gens!! But this hobby isn't all about getting a rep to fool as a gen, it's about getting watches that you really like and learning a whole lot about the movements and brands themselves!

ToadTorrent, one of our premier members, has written an awesome guid to starting off in this hobby of ours. I would strongly advise reading it, it's funny, incisive and gives you a great grounding to start out on!! here is a link to it for you. Good luck and welcome aboard my friend!!!

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Hey-Noobor-NoobR...tml&hl=noob

Sixx :bones:

Hi Don

I would recomwent the following

IWC, Ingy, 3717, slevin

Brietling SOSF, Blackbird, best version BCE and Super avenger

Omega Railmaster 39mm

Panerai 111h

Particuarly the IWC as many dont know the brand, and those that do dont expect a rep!

Why do many newbies think that most people assume a watch is a rep first?

Most everyone you will encounter in your day to day life don't know an IWC, Hublot, AP, etc.. from a Timex.

If you carry yourself well everyone will assume your watch is a genuine first. Sometimes with Rolex that might not be true.

I think alot depends on whether you want people to recognize your watch as being a luxury watch or whether you just want something visibly accurate for your own benefit. In the former case, I would stick with a plain, steel Rolex without a date or other complication. No gold, no jewels & no complications. Less is more when it comes to (accuracy in) rep watches.

In the latter case, you have alot more latitude since fewer people know other brands or what they actually look like.

welcome to the board dude. I like the lesser knowns reps myself. Honestly I hadn't heard of many of the watches freaquently discussed here. I imediately fell in love with Breitlings but recently found out that all the rappers are wearing iced out Naivi's these days which means they are probably being cloned all to hell DAMMIT!! Anyway enjoy the board. Hope yo find exactly what your looking for.

Anything with Rolex on the dial (which friends notice as being new) is going to get the question "Is that real?" That's not because they think that you personally are wearing a rep, but because everyone knows how copied Rolexes are, so it's more a case of curiosity as to if it's a real one or not, rather than any intention to call someone out. To be honest, you are unlikely to ever hear anyone ask, and if they do (and it's clear they're trying to call you out) then it's just a sign of their lack of class. I think the key thing, is if you would say that the watch was a replica, or if you would try and pass it off as being genuine...

Welcome to the party :good:

Welcome indeed.

Unfortunately, even with so called "Super Reps" you will never fool 100% of the population. Primarily because of crazy people like the members here, myself included, and other WIS that can recognize the smallest inaccuracy.

All of the above advice is very good.

I was at work last Friday when a customer asked me who got my pam228 for me and I said my rich uncle :p seeing that I'm only 24 years old. But when I asked him which pam does he have he said the same one...though I doubted him because it's a special edition. Oh well. :p

I was at work last Friday when a customer asked me who got my pam228 for me and I said my rich uncle :p seeing that I'm only 24 years old. But when I asked him which pam does he have he said the same one...though I doubted him because it's a special edition. Oh well. :p

I've mentioned this before in similar threads, but the fact is that very few people in the real world even notice what you're wearing on your wrist. In all my time collecting and wearing reps, I've never been called out, and barely had anyone even notice what I'm wearing. Because we're in to reps, we are going to look at each watch with painful scrutiny examining for even the smallest flaw. We notice this, because it's our hobby. Others who have commented above are pretty much on the mark, Rolex gets questioned the most, because it's a popular brand to replicate. Most people wouldn't know a TAG or IWC if it jumped up and bit them on the nose.

Just my $.02 US

WR

Edited by wraithride

I think the more simple the watch, the more chance you have of getting away with it passing as a Gen.

Specially if it has a good ETA movement and quality heavy feel.......

The more fussy a watch, the more things have to look spot on.

that's funny, because when i see a watch i recognize on someone, i automaticaly think rep. i have a colleague who has a SA and i want to call him out, but i know that is rude. i'm pretty sure it's a rep, but i can't be 100% sure. I know pretty much for a fact that my other two colleagues who have an explorer and an air king are both gens.

I am going with wraithride here.... Most of the reps on show here are so accurate that its almost impossible to distinguish from the gens.

Remember the golden rules

1. Dont go wondering into an AD with reps.

2. Dont' show up in gen fora with reps.

3. Dont go attending WIS gatherings with reps.

We know because we KNOW what to look out for because we spend half our waking time on the fora. Others apparently have better things to do... B)

Cheers

siesta181

Just for fun:

All submariners are assumed to be fake.

No date subs have a better chance of passing for genuine at a glance.

You can always pass off a genuine sub as a replica.

You get the same questions every time:

First question: Is it real?

(if you say it is a replica)

Second question: Were did you get it?

Third question: How much was it?

Fourth question: Can you get me one?

If you say its real:

First question: How can you tell?

Best answer: Let's assume it's real.

If they press you about it, say: If it was not real, you could not see it.

Well worn (showing a lot of wear) rolex replicas/frankensteins will usually pass for genuine if the dials, bracelets and cases are good to start with...especially steel DJ and other "low profile" models.

For example...

I seldom wear a genuine rolex but have been wearing a frankenstein 1016 since October made out of a genuine 16220 DJ case (bored out for oem spec springbars), rolex 1520 hack movement (can't see it so the mvt does not matter), good HK dial made to fit the rolex movement, GS #22 spec crystal, bezel sized for the crystal, hollow link HK oyster etc and no one has ever noticed it except for a lady in the post office who told me she liked it because she could tell time from 10 feet away.

She looked close at it and said "I never saw a rolex like that before."

What gives it away:

wrong reference number on the hoods

bracelet link screws do not pass through the threaded side of the links (the hole is blind)

clasp has 6 holes instead of 7

A lot of watch traders and amateur "collectors" have looked at it and no one ever noticed.

As for modern rolex replicas, steel DJ, exp I, exp II, GMT, no date sub, are good bets.

Vintage 1016 are good too but some do not have springbar holes all the way through the case.

Rolex gets questioned the most, because it's a popular brand to replicate.

One of the reasons Rolex gets questioned so much, ironically, is Rolex's well known anti-counterfeit campaign.

All those "How to spot a fake Rolex" articles and websites have people always on the lookout for fakes.

Everybody has heard about the $20 fake Rolexes on Canal street.

The only watch I ever get "called out" on is a Gen Submariner, usually two or three times a year.

The fake Breitlings and MontBlancs always get a pass.

It's easy to forget we are the only ones who care. I will always stick by what I say in my sig. As a general rule no one gives a crap about you much less what you are wearing. Hell you'll be lucky if they even notice you're wearing a watch. I wouldn't worry because I have yet to hear of anyone being called out on a decent rep. Well unless they were asking for it. Just don't wear a 30k watch and drive a 71 Pinto. Don't shove your watch in everyone's face. Don't check the time habitually for all to see when there is a clock five feet away. Those are all obvious signs. :p

I've mentioned this before in similar threads, but the fact is that very few people in the real world even notice what you're wearing on your wrist. In all my time collecting and wearing reps, I've never been called out, and barely had anyone even notice what I'm wearing. Because we're in to reps, we are going to look at each watch with painful scrutiny examining for even the smallest flaw. We notice this, because it's our hobby. Others who have commented above are pretty much on the mark, Rolex gets questioned the most, because it's a popular brand to replicate. Most people wouldn't know a TAG or IWC if it jumped up and bit them on the nose.

Just my $.02 US

WR

+1. I'd go so far as to say that the vast majority of the population will assume ANYTHING on your wrist is genuine except for a Rolex. Most would question why there would be a rep of a PAM because, well, why rep something no one's ever heard of? Of course, then there are those WIS's that wouldn't be fooled by anything fake, and would know a gen Rolex, but I have NEVER run into one of those in the wild.

Just accept we're all freaks here!

Any of the Rolex Day Date or Date justs will be fine or maybe a MB Timewalker, a Graham or my favorite of the super reps the Ebel Discovery.

Timewalker.

200811302154212.jpg

Ebel. This is the "panda" version. It also comes in black on black. The gen now comes in colours so hopefully so will the rep soon.

ebel_discovery.jpg

These are perfect but for chrono pushers a half mm too long.

The De Witt Academia is damn close as well.

AcademiaChronograph.jpg

Or go for something that no one will recognise even if it isn't that close to the real thing such as this $125 Patek.

PP10014PerpetualCalenderRGWhite.jpg

If you have 500 odd to blow and want a dress watch I can recomend Homer's tourby. No one can call you out on this, it's a gen! The tourbilion will make it the talking point of any party and "everyone" knows tourbys are horribily expensive so asume it's a ten to one hundred grand watch.

tourby1.jpg

This one however may get called every now and again. :)

IMG_1728Medium.jpg

Regards, Col.

Any of the Rolex Day Date or Date justs will be fine or maybe a MB Timewalker, a Graham or my favorite of the super reps the Ebel Discovery.

Timewalker.

200811302154212.jpg

Ebel. This is the "panda" version. It also comes in black on black. The gen now comes in colours so hopefully so will the rep soon.

ebel_discovery.jpg

AcademiaChronograph.jpg

Or go for something that no one will recognise even if it isn't that close to the real thing such as this $125 Patek.

If you have 500 odd to blow and want a dress watch I can recomend Homer's tourby. No one can call you out on this, it's a gen! The tourbilion will make it the talking point of any party and "everyone" knows tourbys are horribily expensive so asume it's a ten to one hundred grand watch.

tourby1.jpg

This one however may get called every now and again. :)

IMG_1728Medium.jpg

Regards, Col.

Timewalker.

200811302154212.jpg

ebel_discovery.jpg

AcademiaChronograph.jpg

tourby1.jpg

This one however may get called every now and again. :):rofl:

IMG_1728Medium.jpg

Regards, Col.