When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is with the HUGE watch craze these days?

john7830

Not that I have anything against them. My angst lies with the people who will call a large, or what is now a "small" watch such as a Rolex DJ or DD at 34 or 36mm in size small. Some call any watch that size a ladies sized watch these days.

I have a friend who wears a Gen DJ 36mm I believe, and he is a very large man, 6'3" 300lbs with a near 9" wrist and it doesnt look HUGE on him, but it looks good. The Rolex watches do tend to wear bigger it seems.

I have seen guys that are 170lbs wearing Invicta watches that look like hockey pucks, they have to be 50mm+ its absurd looking.

I dont hate large watches, Im a huge fan of the 45mm Planet Ocean myself. BUT it seems like if you wear anything under 40mm in size and your a man, you open yourself up to snide remarks from some. :D

Anyway I just find it odd that almost all watches these days seem to huge in size.

Guest asim

not necessarily, my best friend has a gen datejust and he has quite large wrists and although personally the watch looks "small" on him, he always gets complimented.

The remarks come when women wear men's watches, so if you wear the same watch, some twits comment on yours negatively.

Whatever looks "good" in the wrist is a good size. With what I wear and what suits me as a person, my watches usually tend to be 40mm and over!

I have a friend who wears a Gen DJ 36mm I believe, and he is a very large man, 6'3" 300lbs with a near 9" wrist and it doesnt look HUGE on him, but it looks good. The Rolex watches do tend to wear bigger it seems.

you mean SMALL, not huge...right?

I'd love to see a pic of a 36mm watch on a near 9" wrist...that HAS to look wrong IMO...

lately the trend is going towards big watches, almost all brands have in their collection the pieces that are bestsellers and that are big 42mm+ watches...

I couldn't wear a watch that is smaller than 42mm...personal preference!

I think it utlimately depends on the case, the design and such factors like bezel/dial size that really lends to how a watch wears. For example- You can have a thick, 18mm profile on a 42mm case and it will wear much larger with more wrist presence than a 45mm cased watch that has a profile of 12mm. If you have a 40mm watch with a large diameter dial/crystal and a small thin lip for a bezel, it could potentially wear larger than a 42mm case with wider bezel and smaller dial/crystal showing.

So, I agree as a whole with many of the opinions here; just wear what fits you best. Personally, I like 40mm pieces in general, though I do have some larger watches in my collection as well. I usually wear my smaller 40mm's more often as they just simply fit better. Regardless of what I wear on my wrist, the opinion of others has little impact or influence on my decision :)

The oversize fad is catching on with Rolex as well... it is so prominent that they have in fact released updated models with beefed-up diameters to cater to this new trend. Sadly, it is nothing but a trend - and I'm more than happy sticking with a smaller sized but gentlemanly timepiece than having my wrist scream its worth at passers-by.

Couldn't agree more with Ubi. Wear what you like... and whatever feels best for you. Who cares what other people think.

It's also true that some watches wear much bigger than their actual size. Some wear much smaller. Ebel BTR and UPO 45mm are the same size, but BTR wears very balanced while UPO w/bracelet always felt very clumsy to me.

Rolex DeepSea is an ugly watch and a big departure from their classic sports line. I don't like the watch at all... and I never felt 40mm Rolex is "small". They're about perfect sports watches to me.

I have seen guys that are 170lbs wearing Invicta watches that look like hockey pucks, they have to be 50mm+ its absurd looking.

I'd love to see a pic of a 36mm watch on a near 9" wrist...that HAS to look wrong IMO...

I couldn't wear a watch that is smaller than 42mm...personal preference!

How about a few different sizes on a 9.25" wrist?

post-7786-1243482624_thumb.jpg

47mm Invicta Ocean Ghost 'Hockey Puck' - looking pretty normal in size...

post-7786-1243483416_thumb.jpg

45mm Invicta Blue Moon Chrono - looking rather normal, but chunky...

post-7786-1243481675_thumb.png

40mm...

post-7786-1243481753_thumb.jpg

40mm - from the side - not just wide, it's thick too...

do you know how hard it is to find a band that fits?

post-7786-1243481513_thumb.jpg

39mm

post-7786-1243481881_thumb.jpg

30-something... Shundi will know what size this one is.

post-7786-1243484696_thumb.jpg

28mm - Note, someone's watch does look a bit over-sized here...

post-7786-1243484442_thumb.jpg

24mm - the infamous 'girlie watch' shot... Dave should remember this one...

And, I'll wear whatever size watch I feel like... but I'm probably the only guy around here that has sizes that actually are "too small" to wear, but then again they didn't make the Tropic in 40mm over 90 years ago...

Gotta agree with Ubi ,BT and others here. Size is an issue, but it depends on the watch and the wrist.

44mm Pams at 14mm thick wear fairly well on the average wrist. But most rep chronos are more like 16 to 18mm thick. IMO way to thick

for the average wrist.

However, the biggest watch I own is the Breitling SO Heritage at 46mm and 14 mm thick. The case is really well designed, and fits my 6.5

inch wrist better than any of my 44mm Pams.

Most sport watches and divers like, Rolex's, Omega's, IWC's, etc. are in the 41 and 42mm range, and are normally 12 to 14mm thick, much more wearable proportionally.

It is what works for the individual. NOT the size.

I think there are times when large dials are useful and appropriate, I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. The other day, and for the first time in my life, I saw a guy wearing what was blatantly a woman's watch. A DJ clone, with a dial size around 20mm. It was very much a double-edged sword, in that it was obviously a woman's watch, and looked a little out of place, but, it didn't look totally stupid... I guess the only option is to wear what you want and just enjoy it, regardless of others opinions :)

There has been a long-term trend towards larger watches, with a recent spike. If you go back to the 1940's Rolex bubblebacks that were maybe 32-34mm size, you'll see that even over the very long term the average watch size has gone up. With Rolex and Patek now coming out with watches over 40mm, clearly the established brands think this is more than just a passing fad.

I think the perception of what defines a 'normal' sized watch has changed. I think people look for a larger ratio between watch size and wrist size now than they did 10 years ago.

Particularly in the US, people like anything that is 'big', supersize meals, SUVs, etc. I think it's the same mindset.

The remarks come when women wear men's watches, so if you wear the same watch, some twits comment on yours negatively.

AS a woman that wears mens watches, I quite often get asked 'Is this mens or womans this watch' and when I reply that I'm wearing a mens watch, I find sometimes the 'asker' will look down his nose at me like it's a sacrilege that I'm wearing 'his' watch. A guy at work asked me this very question recently when noticing my Submariner and he seemed somewhat upset that I had on a mens Rolex! So I spose this goes both ways.

In general, I think people spend far too much time worrying/conmenting on the decisions of others! :rolleyes: Wear whatever makes you happy I say!

This reminds me of an encounter I had with Philippe Dufour (http://dufourwatches.free.fr/), one of the highly acclaimed watchmakers of our time at Tempus 2007 Exhibition.

It was early in the morning when I chanced upon Mr Dufour and we had a quick coffee together.

In 2007, there was an explosion of large case timepieces from Panerais to U-Boats to Hublot. I asked Philippe about this apparent phenomenon and he just shrugged and said, "You know, big cased watches are indeed rising in the market and is a fashion trend -- it comes and goes just like any other labels according to demand. If there is a demand for big watches, there will be big watches made."

This reminds me of how pre and post WWII watches are sized. Military watches are manufactured in above 45mm - 50+mm, often worn by fighter pilots as a hanging tool around their necks. From Omega, IWC to Seikosaka.

The maximum diameter of Dufour's cases ranges from 34-37mm and he mentioned that these are "ideal sizes" for his movements.

Bearing in mind Philippe wasn't a small man himself and he was spotting a 36mm watch on his at least 7 inch wrists.

I asked him if he would produce his timepieces in larger cases and he replied saying that this is against his norms and that there was no need for that.

So there you go....big are not necessarily beautiful, yes they do command attention and oversizing brings the proportions into distortions. I personally am venturing backwards in 38 or possibly 36mm, in a quest for the right size....non-sports models that is...

When I first started wear the Pam "1950" (fiddy) some years ago.. some of my friends kids thought I wore it because my eye's were going bad.. :rolleyes:

Pocket watch movements were used in many of the watches I believe back in the day.. so this "Big Watch" .. is ..IMO more a repeating of History than something that is a new "fade"...

true the "Hip Hop" bling watches are the "fade" ... most of those watches though are not "Brand" names.. I don't even ask to see what it is when I see someone wearing them.. they are kinda hideous .. :brow:

For me, like many other members.. it's not about size, but rather ... the style and history of the piece.. like Jojo's explorer.... that's a 36mm timepiece.. I am collecting parts to have one built .. the model closer, to that of the one Sir Hillary wore when he conquered Mt. Everest. someone told me .. "that's way to small for you" .. but I like the history and style of that vintage piece.. so the size is not an issue for me.

so the age old question .. are you doing whatever you do, for what others may or may not like? (36 or 47 mm).. therefore "following the trend" ..

Or are you following your own path ... and doing what makes you happy and satisfies your passion for timepieces...

It's not the destination...... it's the journey that is the adventure...

if you are choosing watches based solely on the diameter of the watch (whatever size that encumbers).... you are missing a whole world of beauty.. B)

A~C

Lani

I have a friend who wears a Gen DJ 36mm I believe, and he is a very large man, 6'3" 300lbs with a near 9" wrist and it doesnt look HUGE on him, but it looks good.

Hey the DJ on his wrist looks as good as the cheeseburger stuck to his cheek,i know.

In the 80's we all looked great at the time as well,but we are talking today,and today is Breitling.

:drinks:

Pocket watch movements were used in many of the watches I believe back in the day.. so this "Big Watch" .. is ..IMO more a repeating of History than something that is a new "fade"...

true the "Hip Hop" bling watches are the "fade" ... most of those watches though are not "Brand" names.. I don't even ask to see what it is when I see someone wearing them.. they are kinda hideous .. :brow:

"fad"....

Come on now old farts club...get 'with it'....or 'with ite'....however you say it.... :D