When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any one else lose their job recently?

ASkiBum

Any one else lose their job recently?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Anyone else get laid off from your job recently?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not yet - but I'm scared
    • My friends have been

Very sorry to hear the news :(

A few of my friends have been laid off or asked to take early retirement packages; difficult situation for some of the ones that need to support their families. Some have had luck with getting on elsewhere, and some even came back to the same company as contractors (at a higher wage, but no benefits). Hopefully, and with some luck, some fate and determination, you'll not be in the job market for long.

All the best.

@ SkiBum: Yep, I'm in the same boat. I'm a Quality Engineer and was laid off May 1 after 10 years with the company. Don't know what business you're in but the only market hiring at all is the medical field (nurses, specifically).

Good Luck,

Sorry to hear this. It's always a difficult thing.

It happened to me nearly three years ago. As much as I hate to say this given the circumstances of the OP, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Started my own company and have never looked back. Not saying it wasn't a struggle, but I'm happy to be where I am now and only wish it had happened sooner.

Good luck, and if you've ever thought about starting your own business ... give it a shot!

Sorry to hear the bad news. If it is any consolation, I believe the economy is gaining strength & should be doing much better by the end of the summer. Unless, of course, you work for GM or Chrysler (or any of their dealer/suppliers). If so, I suspect things will get much worse before they get better.

What field are you in?

Unless, of course, you work for GM or Chrysler (or any of their dealer/suppliers). If so, I suspect things will get much worse before they get better.

That's me! :lol:

Seriously, I get out of school with my Bachelors. Takes me 6 months to get a job (working directly with Chrysler), I worked for 6 mos, and then I was laid off (being the most inexperienced person). Been out of work since November, and i've only had about 5 interviews since then...its just brutal. :disgust: Being that I'm highly inexperienced, I'm finding it difficult to jump to a different industry (I'll take anything that's not Automotive right about now). :giveup:

Really considering going back to school. At this point...it's looking like the best option....

Im out of work too right now. Lost my job back in November. Company shut down multiple offices in multiple areas and mine was one of them. Relocating was not an option. Thankfully, my wife is a wonderful person and she makes enough for us to get by. We arent doing near as good as we used to, but we are sure doing better than a lot of people today. So Im not complaining.

Im looking at going back to school to finish my degree or pursue other options. Its just bad everywhere right now out there.

I will say this, since we have less money to go out and do things we all spend more times together and enjoy the simple things we used to miss. Like a movie or just laying in bed and watching TV shows all night. There is a positive side to almost every situation in life and its what you make of it that matters.

One huge positive is that my son, my first and only in fact was born in August and I have been a stay at home dad with him the whole time. I wouldnt trade that for anything either. Him smiling up at me is the best part of my whole day. :D

I feel for all of you that have been hit by this economy. All I can say is that it will get better and you will all be fine. Keep your head up and most of all Keep a positive ATTITUDE!!!!

This is the first thing I see every day when I walk into my office.

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of ATTITUDE on life. ATTITUDE, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the ATTITUDE we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our ATTITUDE...I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react toit. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our .ATTITUDE."

By Charles Swindell 1742

Today at 4pm.

I'm now unemployed... sort of. We have a few ventures in the works that I have been trying to launch... so I guess I have that.

I've been employed or in school since I was 15 so the thought of not going to work tomorrow is a bit weird.

Thanks for the support!!! I am in IT, I have seriously gone down with 3 companies now... Arther Andersen, Enron, and the last place after 5 years. I've got an MBA and big 4 consulting experience, so I'm not too worried about finding a job, but it sucks to see your work go down the drain.

This really might be a good thing - I have been debating starting a company for a few years now, and now might be the time.

In the meantime I'm considering this to be a unplanned vacation - time to travel the world. Currently looking at spending 3 months in Europe, China, and looping back along Vietnam, India, and Egypt.