When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Improvements for Ultimate Planet Ocean v2?

JohnDorian

From what I can tell, the main weaknesses are:

1. The shape and feet of the Omega logo is all wrong.

2. Lume is weak compared to gen

3. Pearl is of dubious quality

If someone can make these improvements ala WM9 has been doing for the Rolex world, seems like it would be another big seller.

Any other suggested improvements to the "Ultimate"?

The main difference I noticed between the two was the quality of the finish on the dial, and the quality of the AR on the gen.

The genuine dial has a beautifully textured blackish dial, whereas the replica is very flat in texture, and sometimes appears grey/browny colour in direct sunlight.

If there was a 'WM9 standard' PO released, there would be a waiting list longer than the Great Wall of China :)

The main difference I noticed between the two was the quality of the finish on the dial, and the quality of the AR on the gen.

The genuine dial has a beautifully textured blackish dial, whereas the replica is very flat in texture, and sometimes appears grey/browny colour in direct sunlight.

If there was a 'WM9 standard' PO released, there would be a waiting list longer than the Great Wall of China :)

lol that means we can go to the moon by just stacking all the waiting lists together? ok i dont make sense but still i just finished 10 hrs worth of studying today (for an exam) if i dont make sense u can forgive me :p

As an aside... Did they ever do a uPO for the 42.5mm? Or is 4th generation as good as it gets?

Nope - the 4th gen is the final edition for the 42.5

As for the UPO - what you see now is more than likely the finish product. I have seen many versions of the 45.5 PO and when they get one thing right, they tend to get something else wrong. Its funny when they say "Built by using a Genuine as an example." Well, if you have the gen there, then how can they f up something, right?

Buy a used one in the gen section as they are going pretty cheap now, including the clones (around $200). Buy yourself a gen dial, gen hands and send the crystal to Cheif for some double A/R treatment. I really dont think the pearl is that bad, compared how other pearls looked like on other Omegas.

Nope - the 4th gen is the final edition for the 42.5

Thanks, HD! As I branch out from things not Rolex, I'm finding lots of interesting things out there that I never really paid attention to before.

Might just have to find me a 42.5mm; the 45mm would be neat to have, but way too big for me, I think...

Thanks, HD! As I branch out from things not Rolex, I'm finding lots of interesting things out there that I never really paid attention to before.

Might just have to find me a 42.5mm; the 45mm would be neat to have, but way too big for me, I think...

the 4th gens are hard to come by...most of the versions out now have He valve positioning problems.

I hear that Sead over at repgeek may have the 4th gen but its >300.

lol that means we can go to the moon by just stacking all the waiting lists together? ok i dont make sense but still i just finished 10 hrs worth of studying today (for an exam) if i dont make sense u can forgive me :p

:) I know what you mean, hope the studying and exams are going well!

the 4th gens are hard to come by...most of the versions out now have He valve positioning problems.

I hear that Sead over at repgeek may have the 4th gen but its >300.

I saw a few pictures of Sead's by a member who had just bought one, it's definitely the same as the 4th gen that was originally available. So Im not sure if they have started making them again, or maybe there was a stock room with some in there or not, as I was under the impression they had stopped making them?

i have to say -- having owned the 4th gen 42mm PO, the $100 42mm PO that narikaa is offering is a pretty remarkable value...

deltatahoe

The problem with the Narikaa is the horrible date window and font, it looks completely off to me as well as the logo. I don't think any gen has got the logo right yet.

I think Narikaa's watch is the 3rd Gen. I reviewed that in the old RWG.

4th Gen was ok but the bracelet quality was horrible. UPO is hands down the best... but just like Ubi I never liked the size. 42mm is perfect in that regard. Maybe I'll get the 42mm genuine eventually... some things on the reps are so frustrating... like the lack of 2xAR. It wouldn't bother me on some other watch but that blue strong "hue" is so characteristic for the PO... and I don't like sending my watches all over the world to get the mods done. Buying the gen is so much easier. :)

• 2 weeks later...