When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Opinion of this Bond Rolex?

DocBotanus

Well, I've been trying to absorb some of the lodes of knowledge here, and I have to confess, my brain is starting to hurt. The encyclopedic knowledge I have seen among posters here- and I'm just concentrating on the Submariner- is amazing!

Now , to what brought me here in the first place- the watch I found for sale as a rainy Saturday afternoon viewing of "Goldfinger" rekindled a dormant desire for a Sub. A Bond Sub.(BTW, when I firs saw Goldfinger as a drive-in triple feature bookended by FRWL/Dr No, I realized that Sean Connery/ James Bond was just about the coolest guy ever. That opening scene, where Bond tosses the bad guy in the tub with the sunlamp is the epitome of cool.)

http://www.flyingzg.com/vintage-submariner...836-p-2976.html

I know it does not exactly match the model numbers often called "the Bond Rolex" but it's one of the closest I have seen. Whoever the original belonged to(Cubby?) I think we can assume it's a genny.

The discrepancies I can spot( and as someone else here has quoted, the factory used what they had and some discrepancies exist from the factory)compared to the screen cap from Goldfinger:

1)the crown stem seems small on the rep

2) the red triangle around the pearl

3) the hash marks between the pearl and 15

It doesn't look too bad, but as I mentioned in my intro post, I have no knowlege of the seller. I got a prompt email response when I asked about purchasing an accessory NATO band with the crown on the buckle(intending to transfer it to a Corvus Bond band) but was quoted $80 for a cloth band! It seems even among the best dealers here, there is somebody who has a gripe, and all dealers are like mutual funds- past performance is no guarantee...

This watch about fits my budget, but I am leery of paying by CC with someone I have never heard of, nor has anyone else.

BTW, does this model normally come with the dome crystal?

Welcome aboard!

You're right about there being a ton of info here. And we've got some respected dealers, also.

In all likelihood, the Bond sub was more like a 6538 with a big crown. But there's miles of debate on this issue.

It didn't have the red triangle on the bezel insert or the hash marks from 12 to 3. The bezel insert shown in the movie is a very singular item.

The dome crystal is OK. All of the crystals in those days were plastic.

Although the Rolex shown in the movies probably wasn't a 5508, it's still one of the Subs referred to as a "Bond Sub".

Here's the same watch from one of the trusted dealers:

http://www.jpc8118.com/rlsv10014-vintage-m...362-p-3285.html

Also, you can buy a Bond strap from Corvus Watch Co- $39. Or buy a regular Nato strap for $15-20- google it.

If you join here, i.e. donate some money, you'll have access to the dealers. It's well worth it.

Since the photos are the same, save the digital watermark of the site name, I wonder if in fact both are Josh?

Thanks for the encouragement! Even a casual reading of posts here hints at the addictive nature of this hobby. I get the feeling heroin would be easier to kick! I have a feeling when I get my first rep, that will only be the start- I see a future of evenings spent modding. My wife always accuses me of "never leaving well enough alone". My father-in-law likes collecting watches -low-buck gennies- but did make one venture into the world of reps with some cheap Sub from Chinatown. He does have some expertise with watches, having in a younger life, worked on mechanical watches as a hobby. He has jeweler's loupes and a pretty decent set of tools. Hmmmmmm... time to rekindle an interest.

One thing I intend to do in terms of modding is making my rep Sub at least shower and pool worthy. I think I have some reading for tonight-

This watch about fits my budget, but I am leery of paying by CC with someone I have never heard of, nor has anyone else.

PayPal has a web browser tool which generates a one-time-only use Mastercard CC number. It's still PayPal, but it looks like a Mastercard to the merchant. SO .. untrusted merchants don't get to see your actual CC numbers, or bank acct numbers, and if the number is "stolen" after your purchase, it can not be re-used for foul purposes ... it's a single-use-only number!

Tah Dah. It's called the PayPal Browser Plug-In

Both Flyingzg's & Josh's watches look to have the same case as Silix's ROLS176 (& variants). I agree with Alligoat that the watch used in the Bond films is likely a big crown 6538. The bad news is that the 6538 uses a thicker (15mm) case & the case on these watches is too thin (12mm). However, the good news is that it is just about the right size for the 6538's little brother, the 6536. This is 1 of the projects currently on my bench (awaiting a gen case)

6536bond004box1.jpg

That insert is great Freddy...

Since there has been little to no activity on my recent project post, this might be helpful to the OP. Here you will see the various Silix cases, and a no-name thicker no-crown, flat side. http://www.rwg.cc/members/Project-Kick-6536-t99463.html Tons of photos of essentially what was/is available.

FYI in a recent email to Andrew/Josh most of the current stock do not have lug holes. i.e. Silix ROLS187.

Freddy, is that rounded fonts insert from MY?

Yes. But I got the 6200 6204 6205 set instead of the 5508 5510 6538 6536 set, because I wanted the earlier, non-minute-marked insert. I also added a gen vintage NOS pearl to match the enhanced patination of my dial/hand lume.

To those who have bought from Josh, did you use a prepaid CC, your regular CC, the Paypal generated CC # or some other method?

In regard to the case not having lug holes(which the original obviously did), is that a newer development in these reps? Has anybody else seen a rep closer to the original in overall appearance?

Doc, that case sans lugholes is the closest you're going to find. It's not that big of a deal to drill holes if you have the tools for the job.

The critical part for a "Bond" Sub is the thin case. The gen's rehaut is very very low, and the crown sits in the middle of the case, when viewed from the side. Like Freddy said, the Big Crown Bond (6538) uses a slightly thicker case, but if you go that route good luck finding a crown. It will be easier to build a 6536 for that reason alone, then you want the thinnest case possible, and a low domed crystal. The Silix case is best for overall shape, but the gen crystals don't fit. Plus the Silix case has a relief ground in around the crown, and that really needs to be flattened away to look right.

It's a big task you've taken on, good luck! Here's a profile shot for you.

bond_sub_dome.jpg

Freddy, what I meant was, is the hole in the 6200/6204 insert the right size for an Ofrei pearl? I have two very tasty vintagized pearls sitting right here...

Freddy, what I meant was, is the hole in the 6200/6204 insert the right size for an Ofrei pearl? I have two very tasty vintagized pearls sitting right here...

Yes, it fits perfectly. I believe the base

And, in addition to your warnings about the gen crystal not fitting the Silix case, it should be noted that gen & gen-sized aftermarket dials will also not fit the Silix case. The gen dials are about 1mm smaller in diameter than the opening in the Silix case. So, to use the Silix case, you need to use a dial made to fit a rep watch case, which is slightly larger than the gen.