When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor 7021 Submariner "Snowflake"

Pre V

Well done.

Only thing on that beauty that is not original is the insert. All else IMO is original to the watch. I disagree with Ubi and believe the dial and hands have the original lume. It appears to have the correct thickness for 7016's and 7021's. Below are three images. The first two are mine, the 2nd is not. Watch one is a very early serial # 9411 that I owned (it was a 798XXX which puts it at the beginning of the 9411 production as the 7021 and 7016's ended shortly before that). The 2nd is a 7016 that was dated to I 68 and had the 7528 caseback stamp. The third is also a 7016 but with snowflake. Your lume is similar to these. I could see how the yak pee yellow of the indices might have you concerned but I wouldn't be.

03.jpg

tudor_7016_black_01.jpg

1075_102-900x739.jpg

Edited by gavidoc

gavidoc-

I'd agree, except the differences in lume are specific to the manufacturer of the dials. LePrelet have lume applied in a different manner:

IMG_5693.jpg

IMG_2471.jpg

IMG_3930.jpg

The above are both LP dials. Yours are more characteristic of Beyeler.

And I should clarify that my comment on lume was only regarding the dial. Hands look fine (I agree with you there).

Excellent information guys!

This is really a good discussion going on. Thanks for the pictures of the dial-backs.

This 7021 will be undergoing servicing in a couple of hours and I will take more updated pics for referencing.

Just got an email from CWP and they have the 5513 insert in stock....contemplating on going with CWP or genuine vintage insert...

Going to take it slow now. Meanwhile, I will be taking this Snowy to the Rolex centre and get a new bracelet on, so as not to overstretch the original one. :)

All your comments are valuable and much appreciated.

You have to go gen on the insert. Nothing compares...

Agree. Aftermarket with the correct pearl are close but still not the same.

Sorry about the hands thing Ubi. Didn't notice you weren't referring to those. Agree that the dials have different lume. Current Rolex service snowflake dials are thick like the Beyeler's even though the service centers lume them since they are delivered unlumed.

Edited by gavidoc

You have to go gen on the insert. Nothing compares...

Indeed R! :) Will shoot for a faded one if possible....

An update on the dial:

I have checked out the back of the dial and it's a Le Prelet. :) The letterings are exactly the same as the one you photographed:

IMG_3435.jpg

Will take more photos when I get my macro lens in action. Meanwhile, Snowy's still apart at the moment.

Learning a lot? That's an understatement. Just when I start to think I'm getting a handle on the intricacies of watches, POW!! Ubi takes it to a whole 'nother level. :notworthy:

Agree. Aftermarket with the correct pearl are close but still not the same.

Sorry about the hands thing Ubi. Didn't notice you weren't referring to those. Agree that the dials have different lume. Current Rolex service snowflake dials are thick like the Beyeler's even though the service centers lume them since they are delivered unlumed.

Firstly, congratulations! you have a beautiful , and very genuine Tudor submariner...... well at least for the most part.....

I'm 99% sure your hands are aftermarket.... look at the length of the end piece on the second hand, away from the lumed section... it's considerably shorter than the length of the genuine snowflake second hands...also the finish is highly polished, which is not correct. These are both tell tale signs of aftermarket hands.

The originals were always slightly brushed to dull down the finish a bit.... but seriously, these are minor issues on an absolutely gorgeous watch!!!

Wear it in good health, and tell anyone who questions any authenticity to go stuff it, they're just jealous!!!!

All the best

Eddog

Edited by eddog

Haha... I dunno why, but lately, I have not been paying attention to hands! Well, at least not the shape. I spent more time looking at the lume that I completely missed it, and eddog makes a very valid point- The shape of hands is a bit off. I see exactly what he's pointed out about the tail of the seconds hand.

Not entirely sure I agree with the statement on the finish of the hands, though; polished is fine and I have seen genuine hands finished in this manner.

IMG_2540.jpg

NOS:

IMG_1289.jpg

Funny how sometimes we look so closely to some of the details that others get overlooked...`

Thanks for all the comments.

Indeed the hands are aftermarket. I have already made a comparison with my friend's Snowflake and there are 2 observations (after eddog's findings):

1) The Hour (Triangular-shaped) hand is "shorter".

2) The Second hand's back-portion is "shorter".

This has led to a firm conclusion that the hands are aftermarket. After reading this, I gave the seller a call, and he's agreed to send another set of hands from his other Snowflake --- in exchange for this aftermarket ones.

Thank you all for your observations. It's the collective eyeballs that will rectify this situation I am facing.

Well, looks like gens need to be reworked sometimes, as you never know how some aftermarket parts can be swapped in without collectors knowing. It's through investigation that we are able to deduce such variations.

Will keep you guys updated once this "hands-issue" has been resolved.

*Watch has been serviced over the morning and is back in my hands. :*

TGIF!

P1000984.jpg

Guys,

Are you sure about those hands? Those pictures make it hard to say for certain IMO due to the angles. When compared to the second hand on my blue snowflake which was just serviced at the RSC Australia, the tail of the second hand looks longer (based on some of those pictures). The hour hand and minute hand lengths look correct from some of those images.

Rule of Thumb that was pointed out to me: Simple way to check to see if the hands are indeed correct is to line them all up at the 6 or 9 index. The end of the hour hand will be right on the inner edge of the marker. The minute hand tip will be on the outer edge of the marker. The center of the second hand diamond will be in line with the inner edge of the marker and the "tip" will be in line with the outer edge of the marker.

IMG_0405.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

P1010004a.jpg

Update as of 2nd July 2009:

1) Hands have arrived and replaced. While the 1st set of hands do match the indices more, these "historically correct" replacement hands look to be fitting for the age of this 7021. As far as the 1st set of hands is concerned, I was under the impression that they could've been a set of serviced but the "hour" hand is way too short compared to the genuines --- so my suspicions are with the aftermarket.

2) Gen insert with tritium pearl in transit so am eagerly awaiting. If you look at the whole watch face as of now, there are 3 distinctive colours, from the pearl, to the indices and to the dial. Kind of weird but nonetheless, I am expected the same 3 variations as well with the gen pearl.

---- Some love matching, others love non...I am kinda torn in between :)

P1010006a.jpg

P1010007a.jpg

P1010017a.jpg

P1010015a.jpg

• 2 years later...