When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

To build or not to build?

Martyd3

I am thinking about building a 1680 with Phong case and dial, gen 1570 movement ... etc. I have modded a number of MBW 1680's, but have always been bothered by the small flaws that can't be corrected (or easily corrected); like crown placement, date wheel printing/alignment, etc. Before I dump a lot of money in this project, I would like to hear from those who have built these super Frankens. Is the end result more gen like or will I need to bite the bullet and start saving for a gen to be happy?

In the case of a standard 1680, I would buy the gen. Of course, value is in the eye of the beholder, but I do not think it makes sense to spend $2,500+ to build a franken (which has limited value outside the rep world) when you can buy a nice gen 1680 for a few grand more. It is only in the case of rare, high-value collectibles (red Subs/SDs, PNs, etc) that I think it makes sense to spend the time, effort & money constructing a gen-powered franken.

I am thinking about building a 1680 with Phong case and dial, gen 1570 movement ... etc. I have modded a number of MBW 1680's, but have always been bothered by the small flaws that can't be corrected (or easily corrected); like crown placement, date wheel printing/alignment, etc. Before I dump a lot of money in this project, I would like to hear from those who have built these super Frankens. Is the end result more gen like or will I need to bite the bullet and start saving for a gen to be happy?

Are there many differences between ND and Phong cases? I remember ND being cheaper at the time.

Anyway I went through this here

The end result is virtually impossible to recognize. I should know, I had it serviced at a Rolex AD. And that was before I work the CGs.

Since then I built another one, still have to do the CG but it looks promising. I'll try to show you pix soon.

Hope this helps

I agree with Freddy. You will always know its a rep. If all you want to do is fool every one you meet go down the MBW with ETA route. You could buy a Nodate gen sub for not a lot more than the phong with gen movement cost. The gen will appreciate and you will know its real.

agree with everyone :

Phong + gen movement is a waste of time and money .....

if a nicely modded MBW is not good enough - the only solution is to get the gen :)

cheers,

Frank

If you really have that money burning in your pocket, then go for it. It i snot onlt teh case and movement here, you also have think about the ocst of the gen. dial, hand set, crown etc. to complete the project. If you are going for the Red 1680, then I don't know how much more $$$ you needed for the gen. dial.

As freddy said, if you are only thinking of teh std 1680, why not go for the gen. which doesn't really cost you a lot more and yet you can still keep the value of the watch.

For the RED's, stay with the MBW's + ETA, they more than good enough with the proper modding and gen. parts installed.

Enjpy.

If you look at the prices of a white dial 1680 right now, they go for around $4400.

I dont' know how much a case from Phong is but consider the prices of the other gen parts.

hands: Easily $250-$350+ for good ones.

Dial: White dials I'd say are around $400. I dont' know about a red dial though.

Insert: New ones from my AD are $100. That is their set price.

Crowns: IIRC they charge $35 for one.

Tube: Same, $35 (I honestly don't remember).

Crystal: Tropic 127's can be found easily but I think they average around $75.

Movement: Around $1000?

Not including the case, if you went with all gen parts and the phong case you're looking at roughly $1850 + case to recreate a white dial 1680 that won't appreciate in value. Pay more for a matching dial and hand set regarding the tritium and it could be around $2000. I paid $850 for a matching MkIII dial and hand set for my Gen 5513 and got a great price as I was being quoted $1000 for them and I know they are original.

I'd also go gen in that case.

If you look at the prices of a white dial 1680 right now, they go for around $4400.

I dont' know how much a case from Phong is but consider the prices of the other gen parts.

hands: Easily $250-$350+ for good ones.

Dial: White dials I'd say are around $400. I dont' know about a red dial though.

Insert: New ones from my AD are $100. That is their set price.

Crowns: IIRC they charge $35 for one.

Tube: Same, $35 (I honestly don't remember).

Crystal: Tropic 127's can be found easily but I think they average around $75.

Movement: Around $1000?

Not including the case, if you went with all gen parts and the phong case you're looking at roughly $1850 + case to recreate a white dial 1680 that won't appreciate in value. Pay more for a matching dial and hand set regarding the tritium and it could be around $2000. I paid $850 for a matching MkIII dial and hand set for my Gen 5513 and got a great price as I was being quoted $1000 for them and I know they are original.

I'd also go gen in that case.

I've seen gen 1680 white dials for around $850,-. ND trading sells dials for around $400,- but these aren't accurate.

OK, here's a budget 1680:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Free-Shipment-Submarin...%3A1%7C294%3A50

dial and hands from Yuki for $129

add a Yuki case for $400- he has them, just have to ask,

maybe a crown and tube, trim the cg's, another $100

Rolex movt- $1000-1200

MBW 93150 and wholesaleoutlet990 580 ends. Around $100+

So for under $2K you've got a budget sub.

But I'm kinda like freddy, I'm not sure it's worth it. Although now days a gen 1680 would probably run $4K.

And the 1500 series date movts aren't my favorite, I prefer the quickset movts.